NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing athletic-looking about sleeves like this:

Unitas-Steelers-camp.jpg

Take away the shoulder pads and numbers and the jersey looks like something a hipster would wear to a coffee shop.

I specifically remember many of the players on the Mexican National soccer team wearing 3/4 sleeves a year or two ago that were about that length. And to be honest, I'd rather wear more narrow sleeves that length than wearing shorter sleeves that are the width of pants legs (at least on the replicas).

Then mandate that all players wear mid-bicep sleeves and eliminate the so-called "advantage." Or penalize a sleeve tackle as you would a horsecollar. Easy peezy.

I like the look of all NFL players wearing bowling shoes. They should just mandate it for everyone, since that would keep the playing field level. It doesn't matter if it slows players or the game down, I like the look. Mandate it. Easy peezy.

Terrible analogy. Unlike sleeves, bowling shoes have never been a part of the NFL "wardrobe," and unlike a few ounces of fabric above one's elbows, bowling shoes would be difficult to play in.

as an unbiased reader of this forum, that is the perfect analogy.

you want to create a league wide mandate to suit YOUR personal preference. whether it be longer sleeves, or clown hats... your declaration is equally ridiculous because it's based 100% on aesthetics. which are 200% subjective.

sidebar:

ive been a lurker/member for a long while. over the past few years, the cynicism and in-fighting has grown to comical levels. it's just childish at this point. too many people take themselves and their opinions too seriously. we're here because we have similar interests. instead of discussing and celebrating our common ground, this board tends to tear itself apart over the differences. its gross.

'im not a fan of these new helmets everyone is wearing. if every NFL player would just wear a 2-bar, molded Riddell lid... we'd be fine. i should know, i'm from the internet. btw, your opinion is stupid because it's different than mine.'

- every other post on CCSLC

whatev. carry on.

Then mandate that all players wear mid-bicep sleeves and eliminate the so-called "advantage." Or penalize a sleeve tackle as you would a horsecollar. Easy peezy.

I like the look of all NFL players wearing bowling shoes. They should just mandate it for everyone, since that would keep the playing field level. It doesn't matter if it slows players or the game down, I like the look. Mandate it. Easy peezy.

Terrible analogy. Unlike sleeves, bowling shoes have never been a part of the NFL "wardrobe," and unlike a few ounces of fabric above one's elbows, bowling shoes would be difficult to play in.

as an unbiased reader of this forum, that is the perfect analogy.

you want to create a league wide mandate to suit YOUR personal preference. whether it be longer sleeves, or clown hats... your declaration is equally ridiculous because it's based 100% on aesthetics. which are 200% subjective.

sidebar:

ive been a lurker/member for a long while. over the past few years, the cynicism and in-fighting has grown to comical levels. it's just childish at this point. too many people take themselves and their opinions too seriously. we're here because we have similar interests. instead of discussing and celebrating our common ground, this board tends to tear itself apart over the differences. its gross.

'im not a fan of these new helmets everyone is wearing. if every NFL player would just wear a 2-bar, molded Riddell lid... we'd be fine. i should know, i'm from the internet. btw, your opinion is stupid because it's different than mine.'

whatev. carry on.

Actually, my personal preference is for the Cowboys to reintroduce sleeves whether or not the rest of the league follows their example. And yes, if the NFL can mandate things like sock length, tucked in shirts, and stickum, they can mandate sleeves.

They can but who cares? Only you guys cause players don't want them. If it was about standing out wouldn't one of these NFL or even college players start wearing long sleeves by now??

I've said it before but most the people that advocate longer sleeves have never played the game at a competitive level (good high school or college) since 1996. Please note i said most, not all.

I was much more comfortable playing with my "sleeves" tucked under my pads vs having sleeves. I played with both, my JV team had old thick cotton mesh with elbow length sleeves and I couldnt move.

It's comfort and keeping people from grabbing you.

There's nothing quite like taking it to the comically extreme.

There's nothing athletic-looking about sleeves like this:

Unitas-Steelers-camp.jpg

Take away the shoulder pads and numbers and the jersey looks like something a hipster would wear to a coffee shop.

I can see what you're saying, but that's not at all what is being advocated. We all saw the compression undershirt sleeves that the Northwestern players were wearing today (and other teams have worn). Now imagine taking those compression undershirt sleeves and attaching them directly to the body of the jersey. The sleeves are snug, transfer moisture and eliminate the grabbing still, but they also maintain the mobility of the sleeveless cut because the compression material is very stretchable. If you can wear a compression undershirt, you won't find it difficult to wear a jersey with integrated compression sleeves.

Personally, I've never had an objection to the sleeveless look. It is what it is for me; something that comes with the territory of advancing technology/looks and feels good for the players. I always hated the long, loose sleeves to be honest, but the look of the tight undershirts that have come out as of late, combined with many people's dislike for the sleeveless look, is what led me to start thinking about ways to fix the problem.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't think compression sleeves attached to the jersey could work . I think they would idk the term (tarp? Maybe?) near the armpit area and to be functional it would either be too stretchy or it would rip.

And I too prefe tight sleeves over big dangly ones, very uncomfortable.

The sleeves aren't coming back guys, just face it.

The compression shirts separate from jerseys is the best compromise if you want that look. Yes, players in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. wore sleeves. You also didn't have the passing game that you do now. Sleeves ARE a hindrance to movement when the jersey covers today's pads. *here comes HS anecdote* I tailored my jersey myself to shorten the sleeves and add elastic at the cuff so I had more movement. Before doing so, I had to pull the sleeve up after every play because it pulled the shoulder pads and caught on my arm which didn't allow me to get proper hand placement on a defender.

There's a reason that jersey cuts (the general shape...not the sweatbox or the reebok "triangle" type of cut toward the neckline) became what they are - players prefer them. If a cut gives a player an advantage (or even a perceived advantage since sports and psychology are highly intertwined), then use that. Design and function MUST find some common ground. A designer that creates a product that its audience hates is a :censored:ty designer. I love stripes on uniforms, but I also understand that the cuts that are friendly to stripes are also unfriendly to the athlete. Want sleeve stripes? Move the numbers (a la the Bears) or put them on an undershirt.

Fixing my beloved Cowboys isn't that hard. 1. Resurrect the metallic blue pants used during the 1976-77 season, when they weren't too blue or too gray. Ignore that funky color that they used for the back of the pants. 2. Distinctive serif number fonts, as evidenced by the number 5. 3. Replace all royal blue with navy blue, so that the jersey and pants match the blue stripes and star on the helmets. 4. Navy blue socks with two stripes. 5. Mandatory sleeves that come down to mid-bicep. 6. Match the helmet patina with the metallic blue pants. Present-day helmets are too gray.

iuii.jpg

I agree with everything except changing all royal blue to navy. I would like them to use royal blue and get rid of all navy blue.

I don't think compression sleeves attached to the jersey could work . I think they would idk the term (tarp? Maybe?) near the armpit area and to be functional it would either be too stretchy or it would rip.

And I too prefe tight sleeves over big dangly ones, very uncomfortable.

The sleeves aren't coming back guys, just face it.

All you need is a gusset in the underarm area. If the sleeves aren't too stretchy and they don't rip on the undershirts, they're not going to rip on the jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Fixing my beloved Cowboys isn't that hard. 1. Resurrect the metallic blue pants used during the 1976-77 season, when they weren't too blue or too gray. Ignore that funky color that they used for the back of the pants. 2. Distinctive serif number fonts, as evidenced by the number 5. 3. Replace all royal blue with navy blue, so that the jersey and pants match the blue stripes and star on the helmets. 4. Navy blue socks with two stripes. 5. Mandatory sleeves that come down to mid-bicep. 6. Match the helmet patina with the metallic blue pants. Present-day helmets are too gray.

iuii.jpg

I agree with everything except changing all royal blue to navy. I would like them to use royal blue and get rid of all navy blue.

I want them looking more like the Yankees and not the Lions.

The compression shirts separate from jerseys is the best compromise if you want that look. Yes, players in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. wore sleeves. You also didn't have the passing game that you do now. Sleeves ARE a hindrance to movement when the jersey covers today's pads.

But Quarterbacks are the last players today who still generally wear the longer sleeves. So, it isn't about the passing game (at least not from the QBs point of view).

sidebar:

whatev. carry on.

Cool story, bro. Blow it out your ass. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. And so forth.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That's pretty silly. Being that they are different sports and entirely different aesthetics, they shouldn't look anything like the Yankees (other than in having an iconic logo, which they already do). They should go back to the '70s darker royal blue. An arrogant organization like the Cowboys following everyone else's trend of "we have to make our colors darker to look cool" was stupid to begin with. I think they should go back to the '70s look, but I think they should do it fully. Bring back the same dark royal blue, the bluish silver (on helmets and pants), the same blue uniforms, and you have a perfect uniform set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That's pretty silly. Being that they are different sports and entirely different aesthetics, they shouldn't look anything like the Yankees (other than in having an iconic logo, which they already do). They should go back to the '70s darker royal blue. An arrogant organization like the Cowboys following everyone else's trend of "we have to make our colors darker to look cool" was stupid to begin with. I think they should go back to the '70s look, but I think they should do it fully. Bring back the same dark royal blue, the bluish silver (on helmets and pants), the same blue uniforms, and you have a perfect uniform set.

amen

That's fine, but the helmets have had navy blue stripes and stars for decades now. The darker royal blue (which debuted when the Cowboys switched to screen-printed numbers in 1974) still wouldn't match them. The midfield star and endzones at Cowboys Stadium are navy blue; color coordinating the unis to match them makes perfect sense (to me).

iuii.jpg

Agreed, they should go royal for all other uniform applications. Also I would like the black outline of the sleeve stripes switched to silver, it would look much classier.

sidebar:

whatev. carry on.

Cool story, bro. Blow it out your ass. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. And so forth.

I post on 3 boards, this one in addition to the NFL and English soccer teams that I support.

This one by far, and it's not even close, people interact far better, are less offensive to one another, and there's less personal attacks on this board than the 2 others combined, and by a landslide.

So Joegalvan, if you really think this ones loaded with extreme cynicism and in-fighting, you obviously haven't seen some real OTT (over the top) cynicism and in-fighting. This is a very mellow board by chat-forum standards. One can only believe you're incredibly thin-skinned to seriously see it that way.

Most of the comments that you perceive in the way you do is only really friendly banter, and I guarantee you it wouldn't be perceived in the same way if the same conversations were being conducted in a pub or elsewhere when one can see each others body language.

Archived