NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Yeah but no teams had actually worn them, what they're saying is it might indicate the whole team wearing them.

I don't think so. That's a Nike thing. Players that wear Reebok, UA, Adidas could still very well wear black or white cleats.

AtRUc4lCIAEXq3C.jpg

RGIII cleats.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nike is on a MAJOR back order until at least September 15th. They were not expecting the NFL sales do the business it has done up to this point.

If this is true, then Nike is the biggest bunch of paste-eaters in sports. I've been interested to hear the reasons for Nike seemingly being well behind demand for their NFL product. "We had no idea so many people would be interested in purchasing NFL apparel" is far from a credible excuse.

Nike was ridiculously unprepared for all of this. You would expect much more from a world-class company like them.

That's the explanation I was given by my manager last week. Nike TRULY was nowhere near the demand for this. Who honestly here was ready to throw $100 for the new jerseys? I, for one, was not am still am not. I am holding out for a little while longer because apparently the first wave of the Game jerseys have reportedly had the paint/screenprint numbers peel off which I thought was going to be avoided...

Yeah defrank those, thats why i wouldnt be surprised if was went team colored.

Bergan i hope that you realize those attention grabbing clowns that want to wear colored cleats, is probably what people thought of joe namath back in the day when he was the only player in the league wearing white cleats, and look at the league now, weve progressed to the point wear half the league wears white cleats now and people love it. Pretty sure it was less than 70 yrs ago that he played though. I agree though, all or nothing for the cleats.

Sod, well said.

OK, does anybody else get the bizzaro world thing going on here?

Exactly, Oldschool.

What the hell is going on here? Me, being chided for being too "old-fashioned" and conservative with my uniform-eeze?

The whole "team shoe" concept isn't what I have issue with. Some of them do look good. But they won't look good when 5 guys on the Rams are wearing navy/gold shoes and the other 42 guys are wearing white. They will look tacky and hokey.

Some players have been wearing "team shoes" in the pre-season. But with 22 teams in the league now wearing black shoes, the "team shoe" is tougher to spot on players on black shoe teams.

Several Redskins players have been wearing those hideous looking burgandy and yellow shoes in the pre-season. But since the Skins are a black shoe team, they don't stand out so much.

Just wish the NFL would stick to their procedures and guidelines. Its really not asking much. Its one of the few things the NFL does right.

Yeah but no teams had actually worn them, what they're saying is it might indicate the whole team wearing them.

I don't think so. That's a Nike thing. Players that wear Reebok, UA, Adidas could still very well wear black or white cleats.

AtRUc4lCIAEXq3C.jpg

RGIII cleats.

But what about all other players that wear adidas? Reggie Bush has just worn white cleats this entire preseason.

Go A's!

AtRUc4lCIAEXq3C.jpg

RGIII cleats.

Bitchin'. Those will look sweet with the yellow pants.

AtRUc4lCIAEXq3C.jpg

RGIII cleats.

Bitchin'. Those will look sweet with the yellow pants.

I think you just one upped sodboy for potd lol!

But what about all other players that wear adidas? Reggie Bush has just worn white cleats this entire preseason.

That's because the Miami Dolphins are a white shoe team.

He has worn completely white, no hint of aqua or orange, which is my point. If wearing all white, or all black is an option versus these colored cleats, not everyone is going to follow suit.

Go A's!

As much as I hate the Bills, those cleats are a thing of beauty. I hope more teams do it.

Yes, lets get the whole league to look like clowns.

I'm sorry, do you have a problem with progress? Teams don't need to wear black or white shoes anymore. The manufacturing process has progressed, and so has personal taste. Players like the way colored cleats look, and they've been adding colors to their shoes to the limit of those archaic NFL rules dictating a team needs to wear "primarily" black or white shoes. About time to get in line with the 21st century and realize that this is the look the players prefer, this is how they'd rather dress on the field, and that's what truly matters.

But I guess you're the sort who'd prefer that the whole league throw 'em back to the days before shoes were made of composite materials. You'd probably also like to see single-bar facemasks and Durene jerseys, with no player allowed on the field unless the jersey sleeve reaches clear down to his elbow, just because that's how it was when you were watching Howard Cosell call the game on your 600-pound Zenith System 3 cabinet set back in 19-dickety-4. Times are changing, man. About time you got with 'em.

Excellent. Thirded for post of the day.

Unless someone wants to throw out the red challenge flag, Sodboy13, this, yet again, belongs to you.

postofday.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

As much as I hate the Bills, those cleats are a thing of beauty. I hope more teams do it.

Yes, lets get the whole league to look like clowns.

I'm sorry, do you have a problem with progress? Teams don't need to wear black or white shoes anymore. The manufacturing process has progressed, and so has personal taste. Players like the way colored cleats look, and they've been adding colors to their shoes to the limit of those archaic NFL rules dictating a team needs to wear "primarily" black or white shoes. About time to get in line with the 21st century and realize that this is the look the players prefer, this is how they'd rather dress on the field, and that's what truly matters.

But I guess you're the sort who'd prefer that the whole league throw 'em back to the days before shoes were made of composite materials. You'd probably also like to see single-bar facemasks and Durene jerseys, with no player allowed on the field unless the jersey sleeve reaches clear down to his elbow, just because that's how it was when you were watching Howard Cosell call the game on your 600-pound Zenith System 3 cabinet set back in 19-dickety-4. Times are changing, man. About time you got with 'em.

Excellent. Thirded for post of the day.

Unless someone wants to throw out the red challenge flag, Sodboy13, this, yet again, belongs to you.

postofday.png

and then Bergan, completely unaware of the situation, responded and played right into it. Double Post of the Day.

postofday.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

In a totally unscientific online investigation, I see the flywire collars are being universally panned. What's the over/under for the elimination of these things for a "new" technology that's more in line with a typical, more traditional design?

In a totally unscientific online investigation, I see the flywire collars are being universally panned. What's the over/under for the elimination of these things for a "new" technology that's more in line with a typical, more traditional design?

Unlikely, and that's because teams are either dumb or don't care. I mean, in 3-4 years the flywire will run its course and Nike will come out with the latest "technology", but until then, I think the majority of front offices will go on not even noticing that the collars have changed. Those who do notice the change will say "Well, Nike promised me our team would win if we wore these collars." The only way it gets scrapped for something more traditional is if teams start ditching the flywire and going back to traditional collars.

Remember, the flywire is there to draw attention to Nike, while maybe minimally helping performance. It is large and it draws attention with the coating being plasticy and shiny, particularly when teams have different colors on the back of the neck. Nike could very easily condense the flywire into a normal-sized collar, or even put it on the inside of the jersey so it could look normal from the outside. However, that wouldn't draw attention to Nike and their technology. Whatever brainstorm replaces flywire will likely be bigger and gaudier.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

IMO, cleats are like facemasks: unless they feature at least one team color, they automatically clash and look ugly. The NFL should mandate team-color cleats and facemasks.

Disagree vehemently with that ....

If the NFL needs to step in and and mandate anything, it should be all 32 clubs should NOT be permitted to alter their jersey sleeves any shorter than they already are. Everything else like the cleats and facemask is petty in my eyes.

I like tradition, either white or black cleats, and I prefer black, especially with an all-white uniform. Cleats could look good in the new ones that feature team colors, but it depends on the team. Some teams would look good with the new team-color ones, but only some. Facemasks are fine in gray no matter what the teams color scheme is, IMO.

Personally I love the gray facemask with a white helmet, but a team color is fine too (Ex: Miami, NE, NYJ, etc) ... The oddest looking one is SF's .. for some reason gold with gray mask just doesn't match, but it's been their tradition and it's not that bad.

Facemasks just aren't a big issue to me.

Anyone have close ups of th pays collars ? I thought they were the standard Nike collars but sports illustrated has a headshot of gronk on the cover and it looks like a traditional cotton(?) collar but on the elite 51 template which I didn't even know was possible. Is that what they've been using??

Yes - the Patriots took the Speed Machine template but not the Flywire nikelace.

Which is why I hold the teams responsible for their awful leisure-suit collars. They had a choice.

I wish they kept the shiny pants.

spacer.png

Archived