NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

It's probably rare that I agree with DeFrank, and I honestly think this is the first time I have agreed with denisbergan on anything. I think that teams should designate a shoe color, either white or black. Each player would have to wear that color shoe (with team color accents if desired). Although I think it would look bad, I would even go for teams wearing blue, red or any other colored shoes, just as long as the entire team is wearing the same color. It does look sloppy and bad to have five different shoe colors on the same team.

I also agree with DeFrank that white shoes look much better. Black shoes are traditional, I get that. It's weird that both the traditionalists and the ultra-modern people seem to love black shoes. I guess I'm stuck in the middle.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a video showing the process of making the Limited jerseys:

Also, I noticed that the Chiefs don't have a Limited jersey for sale. At first I thought it was because they don't use the flywire collar, but there are other teams that don't use it who have the jerseys for sale. Anyone have any insight?

Todd Van Horne always cracks me up. He's like the guy you picture when you think about brand spokesmen. He's so vividly animated and perfectly scripted when he talks about these football uniforms.

But, to the point, I think the fit looks great in the video. The problem, all those guys are NFL players. Few people in the real world are that jacked. The Limited Jersey likely won't look like a tailored streetwear piece on Average Joe.

Yeah true but desean Jackson is pretty average sized. He's really really skinny for an nfl player. They also all have undershirts too, but I think that looks kinda cool. I'm tall and skinny so maybe the new fit is tailored more to my likings.

Price tags are a little hefty for my size though

I hate to potentially derail this thread, but the Cowboys pants look even worse now than before Nike. Maybe it's the lighting here, but sweet jesus, this needs to come to an end.

563067_377537202316449_1528769621_n.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that the color was originally intended for old tube color televisions so it would look grey over the air. It appears now, even in the age of HD, that it's some sort of tradition. One that is butt ugly.

Sorry I've been watching football for 25+ years and vivid remember Ronnie Lott and other skill players of the era wearing black soccer cleats while the rest of the team wore white,Walter Payton wearing white tape spatted black Roos, Mean Joe wearing yellow/black high tops, and the aforementioned Joe Namath busting out the white in a sea of black.

Footwear does not have the lengthy tradition of uniformity as some would make it out to be. Maybe since 1990 but that's it.

So, the earliest of your recollections of renegade footwear is about 1987.

That's 25 years ago. That's a pretty long era of uniformity since.

Nobody wore black shoes in the 1980's. The Vikings did in the early 80's, but that's it. Its why Ronnie Lott stood out so much. Many of the Jets were wearing white shoes when Namath did. It wasn't that big of a deal then.

The hope with this is that most teams won't stand out so much like the Giants do. The grey shoes really contrast with the black shoes. Doesn't look good at all. At least with teams like the Falcons, Colts, Jaguars, Ravens, Raiders and Bengals, that the Nike "team shoe" will look similar to the real "team shoe" of the actual team.

to clarify there were no cleat color restrictions up until the circa 1990 league mandate so the league was roughly 70 years old by the time it made the cleat color rule...considering the league is in its 96th season, the rule has been in place for less than 20% of its existence which in my opinion makes it easy to phase out.

I hate to potentially derail this thread, but the Cowboys pants look even worse now than before Nike. Maybe it's the lighting here, but sweet jesus, this needs to come to an end.

I remember reading somewhere that the color was originally intended for old tube color televisions so it would look grey over the air. It appears now, even in the age of HD, that it's some sort of tradition. One that is butt ugly.

Be that as it may, what makes that color ugly? Or are you referring to the mismatch? I think they should "average" the helmet color and pants color and keep a somewhat teal tinged silver. It would certainly be unique. Granted, they need to go with either navy or royal blue as well.

The Cowboys really are a mess. Ha.

You're preaching to the choir. "Green" belongs in Green Bay, not Dallas.

888i.png

Not much to read into here, I would assume, but the Atlanta Falcons updated their cover photo to this.

530116_10151061914192842_871417750_n.jpg

Posted this in the NFL Fan Flags thread as well, but this now makes sense. It's the winning entry for the Falcons in the NFL's fan flag design context. Haven't been able to find the Saints' winner.

Story

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Be that as it may, what makes that color ugly? Or are you referring to the mismatch? I think they should "average" the helmet color and pants color and keep a somewhat teal tinged silver. It would certainly be unique. Granted, they need to go with either navy or royal blue as well.

The color and the mismatching drive me nuts. I equate this particular color with the avocado green of stoves and refrigerators of the 1960s and 70s. It may have seemed like a cool little color at the time, but only old people still have them in their homes.

The color and the mismatching drive me nuts. I equate this particular color with the avocado green of stoves and refrigerators of the 1960s and 70s. It may have seemed like a cool little color at the time, but only old people still have them in their homes.

Mercifully, they look less green on TV than they do in still photos.

Mercifully, they look less green on TV than they do in still photos.

Totally agree, Slats. On my HDTV they looked much more "metallic silver-blue", which is what they should be. Make the helmets this same color and come up with a custom blue somewhere between royal and navy for the dark color, and this would be a great set again.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Helps to compare the present look to the original uni. A big part of the problem is the helmet is now plain silver and not the original silver-blue:

4378213.jpg

4764544.jpg

That palette was gorgeous. If they did nothing more than match their colors to those, their look would be untouchable.

Another Texas team liked it too...

4547513.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

so theres your problem!

Fix the helmets, not the pants!

Well, fix both. The pants were a bluish silver instead of a greenish silver back then. Oh, and fix the blues, since they should wear that old shade of dark royal blue on both the white and blue jerseys.

I could live with this shade of blue.

lancerentzel.jpg

i still dont understand the hate of metallic silver green. it's one of the best colors in all of sports.

the cowboys are a disaster and need to get a lot of things on their uniforms fixed... but i dont know that that specific color is one of the probems at all.

i love it. replace all the silvers and greys with metallic silver green. replace all the navy blue with royal blue. ditch all the black. suddenly, it's not a bad uniform at all.

Archived