NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

It's incredible how your condescending progressiveness when it comes to uniform design becomes condescending conservatism when it comes to shoe design. You're using Paul Lukas, a staunch uniform traditionalist who you usually wouldn't side with, as a reference for someone who agrees with you. He likes everything old and traditional so his stance on the shoes makes sense. I think you're just a troll.

I don't really like the team colored shoes either, but it's not ruining my life like it seems to be for you.

Also, why is this just now an issue for Bergan? As far as I can tell team colors have been creeping into shoes more and more over the years. The Seahawks come to mind. Several players have been wearing shoes with bright green accents for years. I don't understand the new outrage because it feels like a natural progression for shoe design in the NFL.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He likes everything old and traditional so his stance on the shoes makes sense. I think you're just a troll.

He's all but admitted that he is. I think it was last season when he said something like "some people just don't get the act."

It seems even more apparent when you consider that he only comes around during football season to, seemingly, copy and paste the same posts from the year before.

He likes everything old and traditional so his stance on the shoes makes sense. I think you're just a troll.

He's all but admitted that he is. I think it was last season when he said something like "some people just don't get the act."

It seems even more apparent when you consider that he only comes around during football season to, seemingly, copy and paste the same posts from the year before.

Being a fan of progressive design doesn't mean that one wants any aspect of a uniform to be not uniform.

Having every element of the uniform match would be considered traditional, even if the matching aspects themselves aren't.

I don't see how he's trolling here. Of course maybe that's because I (also a fan of modern designs) happen to agree with his point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Being a fan of progressive design doesn't mean that one wants any aspect of a uniform to be not uniform.

Never said anything to the contrary. Heck, I never said "liking progressive design makes you a troll."

I don't see how he's trolling here. Of course maybe that's because I (also a fan of modern designs) happen to agree with his point.

Again, it's not that he likes progressive design. It's how he generally conducts himself, and the fact that he's admitted that how he presents himself and his points is all part of an "act."

I'm really not sure how you got "he's a troll because he likes progressive design" from any of this Vet.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not yet, but the Saints captains badges look like crap all the way over near the sleeve.

Yes they did. I was too busy trying to quell my nausea as I watched their pathetic performance to notice till you mentioned it.

6566858.jpg

Well, lest it infringe upon the domain of the great Flywire... :rolleyes:

The thing I don't get this is that the only qualification for anyone on earth to notice it (or the goofy collars) is to have at least one functioning eye. You don't need a degree or a design background or jack-diddly-squat except the ability to see it. :mad:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I don't know if this has been brought up or not yet, but the Saints captains badges look like crap all the way over near the sleeve.

It actually looks better there than when he is in the huddle and its crooked.

Yes they did. I was too busy trying to quell my nausea as I watched their pathetic performance to notice till you mentioned it.

6566858.jpg

Well, lest it infringe upon the domain of the great Flywire... :rolleyes:

The thing I don't get this is that the only qualification for anyone on earth to notice it (or the goofy collars) is to have at least one functioning eye. You don't need a degree or a design background or jack-diddly-squat except the ability to see it. :mad:

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

Never said anything to the contrary. Heck, I never said "liking progressive design makes you a troll."

Again, it's not that he likes progressive design. It's how he generally conducts himself, and the fact that he's admitted that how he presents himself and his points is all part of an "act."

I'm really not sure how you got "he's a troll because he likes progressive design" from any of this Vet.

Well let's put that discussion aside and discuss the topic that lead to this. How does anyone on a logo / uniform board not think that shoes should be a uniform color (regardless of what that color is?) I'm just curious what the argument against that is, and that's basically the point of all of this. Unlike dennisbergen, I don't think that team colored shoes look bad (well, most of them), but I do think that either everyone should wear TC, everyone should wear white, or everyone should wear black.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with bbtv, it should be all or nothing, but they don't look terrible and like I said earlier even with black and white shoes there were still some stragglers wearing colored cleats. The broncos seemed to be one of the few teams with most if not all o lineman wearing the colored cleats. They looked aright.

I think some teams do need to stick with black cleats like the colts.

but I do think that either everyone should wear TC, everyone should wear white, or everyone should wear black.

I would agree with that...but to be perfectly honest I found that I just didn't notice the shoes enough to be bothered by mismatching.

Though all things bring equal, yes, they probably should match across the board.

I would agree with that...but to be perfectly honest I found that I just didn't notice the shoes enough to be bothered by mismatching.

Some of the teams, were much more noticeable then others. A few looked like stuck with their normal shoe color. Kudos to them. They decided to look like a football team.

Jacksonville, for example, looked flat-out embarrassing with some of their teal shoes. How could any grown man, football player, wear those things, and not feel soft? They look terrible too.

Tennessee's sky blue shoes actually looked good. Denver's orange shoes aren't bad either. They look out-of-place though, when half of the team doesn't match.

That's all most of us are arguing here. Either wear the team shoe. Or don't. Either wear black shoes, or don't. Either wear white shoes, or don't. Try and do both? You look like clowns.

Also, why is this just now an issue for Bergan? As far as I can tell team colors have been creeping into shoes more and more over the years. The Seahawks come to mind. Several players have been wearing shoes with bright green accents for years. I don't understand the new outrage because it feels like a natural progression for shoe design in the NFL.

Its now an issue, sir, because the rules have changed.

Team colors have only been used as ACCENTS. The shoe rules were cut-and-dry. You wore black shoes or white shoes. EVERYBODY. Want to put some teal accents or orange accents or red accents on there? Go to town. But the shoe, itself, will be considered 'black' or 'white' in every shoe book in the country.

Its not a "natural progression" of anything. Its a Nike-led mess, as they single-handedly ruin every sporting uniform in the world. Have you seen what they have done to USC this year? USC, a legendary college football program, who has been as black shoe as it gets in college football for decades, is wearing burgundy shoes this year. And it looks horrible, when paired with the rest of their classic uniform. Unlike the clowns in the NFL though, at least everyone on USC is wearing them. So at least they all look alike (and bad).

I also get Paul Lukas, very well. He's a traditional guy on many aspects of uniform-eeze. Some of his beliefs, I agree with. Some, I don't. But ugly, is ugly. The Bengals and old Bills uniforms were god-awful, no matter what era. So are the Browns and Redskins. He doesn't like monochromes and "black for black's sake". That's only been going on for 20 years now though in football. The team shoe thing? Just another chance for Nike to "make a mark". And ugly is ugly with them too.

Pretty sure many would agree Nike is the best uniform manufacturer in soccer. You could even argue basketball. Their college baseball stuff tends to look great and they have the best uniforms in college football. Even the nfl., imagine if Adidas won the contract, the league would be even more of a mess.

Instead of blaming Nike, you should put more if not all the blame on the nfl. Why don't they mandate the whole team wear colored cleats like the MLB and nba do? If they just did that everyone would be happy.

Like I said though I do agree that it should be all or nothing.

Eh, shoes are shoes. I come from a soccer background, so I could really care less if a team's shoes match. It's an individual preference and each player should wear what he thinks is comfortable/looks good*.

[/unpopular opinion]

*At least for American football, that is keeping the shoes within the team color scheme. Having 5 Oakland Raiders run around in volt colored shoes, while 5 other have pink colored shoes would not look good. But I really couldn't care less if players had white, silver, or black shoes depending upon their preference.

Eh, shoes are shoes. I come from a soccer background, so I could really care less if a team's shoes match. It's an individual preference and each player should wear what he thinks is comfortable/looks good*.

[/unpopular opinion]

*At least for American football, that is keeping the shoes within the team color scheme. Having 5 Oakland Raiders run around in volt colored shoes, while 5 other have pink colored shoes would not look good. But I really couldn't care less if players had white, silver, or black shoes depending upon their preference.

agreed entirely.

Pretty sure many would agree Nike is the best uniform manufacturer in soccer. You could even argue basketball. Their college baseball stuff tends to look great and they have the best uniforms in college football. Even the nfl., imagine if Adidas won the contract, the league would be even more of a mess.

Well adidas owns Reebok, which had the contract before, and adidas was an on-field supplier before Reebok (pre takeover) struck their exclusive deal, so I'd say you're mistaken. Also, as we've seen, any mess is the result of the teams, not the manufacturer. To look at it any other way, based on what we know and have seen, is foolish.

[/unpopular opinion]

agreed entirely.

Well I can't say that you're wrong, because it's all just personal opinion, but again, I'm surprised that on a board where people write out entire paragraphs about how players should have the exact same sleeve length, or should wear the exact same undersleeves, or should all have the exact same sock style, that shoes for some reason are overlooked. Again, it's not wrong, but I don't see the difference between a shoe and the rest of the uniform. If you go to a board meeting where everyone is in black, gray, or navy suits, you might see different styles of shoes, but not different colors (well the navy people might be wearing non-black, but probably not at a board-room-type setting.)

Yeah but the teams that were outfitted in Adidas templates had become a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole league would've been in that template had Adidas won the bid, you're right though they could've just kept everything the same being how they are now essentially the same company.

Like you said though ultimately it falls on the team. And not every team values their aesthetics as much as we do obviously.

Well adidas owns Reebok, which had the contract before, and adidas was an on-field supplier before Reebok (pre takeover) struck their exclusive deal, so I'd say you're mistaken. Also, as we've seen, any mess is the result of the teams, not the manufacturer. To look at it any other way, based on what we know and have seen, is foolish.

[/unpopular opinion]

agreed entirely.

Well I can't say that you're wrong, because it's all just personal opinion, but again, I'm surprised that on a board where people write out entire paragraphs about how players should have the exact same sleeve length, or should wear the exact same undersleeves, or should all have the exact same sock style, that shoes for some reason are overlooked. Again, it's not wrong, but I don't see the difference between a shoe and the rest of the uniform. If you go to a board meeting where everyone is in black, gray, or navy suits, you might see different styles of shoes, but not different colors (well the navy people might be wearing non-black, but probably not at a board-room-type setting.)

and i see your point, too... but i'm not one of those people that thinks everyone should have the same sleeve length, under-sleeves or sock styles. lol. i like this site and care a great deal about sports design and aesthetics... but i think that there are some issues that are just nitpicky. to me, caring about what color shoes they wear on a player-by-player basis is like being annoyed that some tennessee titans wear navy gloves, while some wear columbia, red, or white gloves. some don't wear gloves at all. i see it as a sports aesthetics quirk. i see no reason why shoes shouldn't considered the same as gloves or sleeve length or eye-black or wrist bands or helmet style/shape.

I personally didn't have a problem with the shoes. It wasn't that big of an issue and in someways is better then a team which has very little black wearing black cleats just because they are black.

Btw teal is another color let's move past how masculine the color is or isn't.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived