NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sheer gaudiness of those uniforms are precisely why they'd be the absolute PERFECT full-time set for the freaking Dallas Cowboys.

Okay, I see what you're getting at now. I'm still not so sure they have to flaunt gaudiness in thier uniforms per se, even if that's what the franchise (or at least Jerry) exemplifies. I think of the Oakland Raiders and thier identity, what it consists of. I take a look at the fans, and how downright scary and crazy they are. Spiked shoulder pads, black and silver pharoah hats, Darth Vader masks, face paints of jagged and erratic design, Metallica and death metal blaring everywhere, etc. By that account the Raiders could pull off crazy uniforms to exemplify that aura. But thier uniforms are the exact opposite - simple, traditional. And oddly enough, somehow, it "makes" that Raider aura. The thought of Oakland in crazy "power" uniforms just makes it all too much, even though it would fit with and personify the fanbase and team culture. I see Dallas over-flaunting gaudiness at risk of doing the same thing Oakland over-flaunting crazy would do, just making it "too much". Let the team culture carry that aura; the uniforms shouldn't have to do what fans, owners, players, etc. can already do effectively on thier own.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Yes, I know we were never supposed to see it. But it's 2012. We see it. We've been seeing it for 20 years. It's time to end the madness.

What really grinds my gears is that they have the silver pants already. IIRC, TO would ashew the silvergreen for the straight up silver. Much better look.

They could bust out the grey pants with the white jersey, but the problem is that it'd be even more of a mismatch. If you have Madden 13, putting the grey pants with the white jersey doesn't exactly look good, because the colors are darker than the helmet and jersey.

Long story short, the Cowboys are :censored: ed.

bSLCtu2.png

i still dont understand the hate of metallic silver green. it's one of the best colors in all of sports.

the cowboys are a disaster and need to get a lot of things on their uniforms fixed... but i dont know that that specific color is one of the probems at all.

i love it. replace all the silvers and greys with metallic silver green. replace all the navy blue with royal blue. ditch all the black. suddenly, it's not a bad uniform at all.

I take it you're not a Dallas fan. That's the only explanation. Bottom line is that silver-green is an ugly, totally made up color that debuted in 1991 and has nothing to do with the traditional Dallas color scheme. The pants ideally should match the patina of the helmets, and no, making everything else green is not the answer. The answer lies in the past.

you are correct... i am NOT a cowboys fan. and in fact, i only moved to dallas in 1991, which i guess explains why that shade of silver green goes hand-in-hand with the cowboys aesthetics in my mind. i remember watching games as a kid and seeing those greenish silver pants that had sparkles on them... and compared to solid white or blue or grey pants, they were just so cool to me. they almost looked like they were made of styrofoam to me. sounds like a weird reason to think they're cool, but i did and i do.

there is just not enough uniqueness in sports today, and certainly not even variety in the world of silver sports teams. there's never any tint to it. it's always just grey tones of varying shine. metallic silver blue and metallic silver green aren't like the rest. they're unique. it'd be a shame to lose them during a MUCH needed uniform overhaul.

On a completely unrelated note, the Bears' uniform schedule got released: http://www.chicagobears.com/news/chalk-talk/article-1/What-color-jerseys-will-Bears-wear-Sunday/94b32bc4-c8dd-4fa8-8b72-b3f012aaadc7

I don't understand why they insist on wearing an inferior alternate jersey every time they play the Packers. If you HAVE to wear it, wear it against the Rams or Seahawks or something, not your biggest rival.

330zl3b.png

What I simply don't understand is how unconcerned teams are about their looks. A team's uniform is the visual representation of their brand. If Jerry Jones spent as much time on the Cowboys' unis as he does preening and getting cosmetic work and buying nice suits, they'd have the best uniforms in the league. What advice would businessmen like these owners give to any job applicant? Look your best. Make sure your shoes are shined. Wear a nice suit. Cover up your tats if your have them. So on and so forth. If you asked why, they'd know the right answer, because the way you look makes an impression for better or for worse. So why don't they get it when it comes to their teams?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

troy_aikman.jpg

1995-deion-sanders_1.jpg

Boom... problems: solved.

I'm fine with either jersey as a throwback/alternate. Full-time, though? I'm not so sure. It was a good attempt at a modernization of the inagurals (if that was the intent; I always assumed it was), but it's one of those uniforms that while working for its time, I'm not sure it'd translate as well in the current time. It straddles gaudy a bit, even though I do like the idea. I think that's why the 60's "throwback" (in quotes because of the obvious color innacuracy, which if fixed would make them perfect) works so well today. It's the same idea, but is a little less gaudy and simplified. It provides more staying power. I don't know, like I said I wouldn't mind the '94's as a one-time or even occasional throwback, but I think it'd be unneccessary when the 60's ones get the same idea exemplified with more polish to it. Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's just how I see it.

I think the 60's version is a little bit too simplified, particularly when it comes to the stars on the jerseys. I think the 94 version would work perfectly for them. It fits well with their whole belief of their American "greatness". <---------- Hopefully this last sentence made sense.

What I simply don't understand is how unconcerned teams are about their looks. A team's uniform is the visual representation of their brand. If Jerry Jones spent as much time on the Cowboys' unis as he does preening and getting cosmetic work and buying nice suits, they'd have the best uniforms in the league. What advice would businessmen like these owners give to any job applicant? Look your best. Make sure your shoes are shined. Wear a nice suit. Cover up your tats if your have them. So on and so forth. If you asked why, they'd know the right answer, because the way you look makes an impression for better or for worse. So why don't they get it when it comes to their teams?

I think, in this particular instance, that Jerrah thinks that since that's the way it's been for a while, the mismatched colors should stay that way, out of some sort of misguided "tradition". But you are right that most teams aren't meticulously concerned with their look. Otherwise, the Nikelace wouldn't have been adopted so widely, sleeve stripes would be "fixed", and mismatched colors would have been made uniform.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I hate to potentially derail this thread, but the Cowboys pants look even worse now than before Nike. Maybe it's the lighting here, but sweet jesus, this needs to come to an end.

563067_377537202316449_1528769621_n.jpg

I think if they picked a color between the helmet and the pants, it would be great. I like how it looks with the royal blue as well. Convert the dark blue to royal blue, maybe a little darker than the current royal blue, though. I feel like straight neutral silver doesn't fit the western-glam character of the Cowboys. A slightly bluish or greenish silver is what it needs to be.

The color and the mismatching drive me nuts. I equate this particular color with the avocado green of stoves and refrigerators of the 1960s and 70s. It may have seemed like a cool little color at the time, but only old people still have them in their homes.

Avocado green and colors of that ilk are actually making a huge comeback for appliances. The 1980s and 1990s standard clean, cold look of white or black, and the staple stainless steel of the 2000s are being replaced by warmer colors with more individuality and character.

EDIT: Here's about where I would place the Cowboys, color-wise. A subtle blue/green tint to the silver and dark royal blue (thought the more I look at it, the more I love the bright royal blue). Then, I would go back to the serif block numbers and eliminate the black trim from the jersey. That would be a solid start.

cowboys.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Have the Chiefs ever worn all red? Didn't think this was worth starting a thread.

They have not. But with the new, more prominent shoulder stripes, I think red-on-red would look great.

It's also possible that Nike didn't produce as much as they thought they might need to make it seem like they are more in demand than they actually are. My guess is that sales really are much higher than they expected and they just didn't produce enough.

I would guess it's this. The "Apple Method."

EDIT: Here's about where I would place the Cowboys, color-wise. A subtle blue/green tint to the silver and dark royal blue (thought the more I look at it, the more I love the bright royal blue). Then, I would go back to the serif block numbers and eliminate the black trim from the jersey. That would be a solid start.

cowboys.png

I really like this. I think it'd be just about the best of all worlds if this was their new home / most away look. I like the "bright navy" / "dark royal," mostly because navy doesn't seem unique enough for the Cowboys and the royal is just not associated with the team, in my mind. Same sort of story with the blue-silver you've got here. It avoids the now overdone and ultimately non-unique silver/gray while also eliminating a color that just really isn't associated with the team in any other context. The Cowboys only have two team colors, yet their uniforms have 5.

It's also possible that Nike didn't produce as much as they thought they might need to make it seem like they are more in demand than they actually are. My guess is that sales really are much higher than they expected and they just didn't produce enough.

I would guess it's this. The "Apple Method."

cowboys.png

I really like this. I think it'd be just about the best of all worlds if this was their new home / most away look. I like the "bright navy" / "dark royal," mostly because navy doesn't seem unique enough for the Cowboys and the royal is just not associated with the team, in my mind. Same sort of story with the blue-silver you've got here. It avoids the now overdone and ultimately non-unique silver/gray while also eliminating a color that just really isn't associated with the team in any other context. The Cowboys only have two team colors, yet their uniforms have 5.

Dark Royal and metallic blue-silver... simple, unique, and says "Cowboys glory days."

(Although now that I think about it, I HATED the Cowboys glory days)

Has anyone ever made a good photoshop of what the Cowboys would look like with the metallic silver green color on the helmets?

I agree with whoever said that it'd be a shame to see that color eliminated because it's so unique and just screams "cowboys" to me (started watching football seriously in '88, so I barely remember them before those pants.) I definitely think that they need to drop teh black and match the blues and silvers, but maybe the standard silver isn't the one to go with.

I'm thinking a dark royal (darker than their current numbers, but lighter than navy - maybe like the Seahawks last blue) and that metallic silver green would be good.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I believe the Browns will be in white, different from what the Eagles site noted.

Saw a warm up picture of Reggie Hodges, he has white pants and white stripped socks on.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Has anyone ever made a good photoshop of what the Cowboys would look like with the metallic silver green color on the helmets?

I agree with whoever said that it'd be a shame to see that color eliminated because it's so unique and just screams "cowboys" to me (started watching football seriously in '88, so I barely remember them before those pants.) I definitely think that they need to drop teh black and match the blues and silvers, but maybe the standard silver isn't the one to go with.

I'm thinking a dark royal (darker than their current numbers, but lighter than navy - maybe like the Seahawks last blue) and that metallic silver green would be good.

This was posted a few pages back. I think the color itself is really somthing, but it may just be a little too much, which is why I toned down the intensity of the hue shift on my version:

t7edj5.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I probably missed it because I was skimming and with the tone-down it wasn't dramatically different from the regular silver.

The more I think about it, the more I'm against regular silver. I think the options are to go with your shade of silver green and then tone down the pants to match, or try the true shade of silver green on the helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The more I think about it, the more I'm against regular silver. I think the options are to go with your shade of silver green and then tone down the pants to match, or try the true shade of silver green on the helmet.

I second this. To be honest, I actually really like the silver-green as a color on its own - now, that doesn't mean I like the uniform mismatches by any means, I just like the color itself. I think the way to go is to adjust the helmet to match the pants. It's a unique color and I think it looks good with the royal blue. I even think it'd look good with navy if they wanted to go that route, too.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived