NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BlueSky, I do concur that the helmets and pants appear to be more closely matched than before, which is a step in the right direction. I still think they could be matched a lot better, though, as even in some of the pics you've posted here they seem pretty far off to me. I know a lot of this has to do with the combination of my own perception and the lighting in the SuperDome, so I'd love to see these babies in person sometime. And totally agree with you on the addition of more white -- if they would just add a middle white stripe to the pants, as you suggested, this would be one of the best sets in the league IMHO.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Had a question, which may be stupid, but take a look at this:

tumblr_m9epb7ztn71r7lvf8o3_1280.png

Can someone explain to me if those are socks they're wearing or if it's some weird tights-like thing. Also what's the deal with the socks?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Watching the CFL game tonight on NBC Sports...looks like Reebok solved the sleeve stripe problem their. Or is there some strange USA / Canadian conversion where sleeves are longer in Canada? Longer field = longer sleeves?

70389454.png

I was referring to the guy he was replying to. I agree with you about the non mesh material. I don't like all the seams on the Nike cut jerseys, along with other things that have been mentioned already. *cough*collars*cough*

The sheen/shiny material for silver, gold and other metallic colors should be standard. The only shiny fabric I see on the Panthers jersey that could be fixed is the blue on the shoulder stripes.

I was actually referring to the black non mesh material on the Panthers jerseys, as they look the same, as far as 'shininess' goes, as the Jets non mesh material.

I will say, as for the Broncos orange jerseys, my goodness do they look awfully bright. Though, I actually like the bright orange anyway.

I figured. I haven't personally seen any games involving a team who stuck with the previous jersey template, so I haven't been able to compare.

I agree that the numbers look better, but the pants and helmet are still pretty far from matching. If we had the ability to make this happen in 1967, why can't we now? The answer, I believe, is that the manufacturers COULD match things up better if they desired, but someone is making an aesthetic decision not to...

It's a very involved process involving lab dips, approvals, revisions, more approvals, etc. The team/league usually specifies a textile match for its colors in the style guide. Those textiles are picked from dozens to be the best matches they can be, but I would imagine they are usually matched to the PANTONE® inks as opposed to the various processes used to decorate helmets and such. One thing that people don't realize is that these companies don't just make a bunch of fabric in whatever color they need and go to town. They source fabric from different companies who specialize in making fabric. Heck, the fabric may even be sourced by the company that Nike sources to manufacture the garments. There may only be one gold offered in that particular fabric, for example. It's always possible to have a custom color fabric made, but I'm sure it's not cheap.

Jimmy+Graham+Carolina+Panthers+v+New+Orleans+ccXjfQw6GNRl.jpg

lo12N.AuSt.77.jpeg

Evidently, someone informed him at some point that he was not allowed to rep his shoe endorsement on field.

Can someone explain to me if those are socks they're wearing or if it's some weird tights-like thing. Also what's the deal with the socks?

They are likely both wearing socks (NFL socks in the past have been available in over the knee versions to appease the league mandate that players knees must remain covered. Marshall may also be wearing leg warmer-style sleeves over his socks, or he may be wearing multiple pairs of team socks, which is the reason for the stripe-o-rama. Cutler looks like he may be wearing an extra white sock that comes up to the mid calf.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

People who don't like them are those who aren't used to new stuff. I noticed that.

You sure about that?

Seattle's uniforms remind me of the Oregon Ducks. I mean this in a good way.

People who don't like them are those who aren't used to new stuff. I noticed that.

The Seahawks new uniforms are awesome. The more I see it the more I like it.

What kind of people "aren't used to new stuff"? Really young people?

At least people that I come across.

Sorry if it was generalizing. I was trying to say the same thing another poster was saying but I couldn't say what I wanted to get across in a better way.

Cutler always wore a pair of socks with the feet cut off (essentially leg warmers) over his knees and down to his lower calves, with about four inches of white beneath. Then he would wear a normal pair of white socks tucked into them.

Marshall is doing the same thing, only he is wearing a second pair of socks to look like a jackass, just as Hester and various players on the Redskins have done. It looks like he has two pairs of "leg warmers" with the bottom set taped so they stay up. Then he is wearing ankle socks over them.

People need to look at this picture before they say "ZOMG! No Fun League!!1" and act like the NFL is draconian in uniform rules. More players violate written uniform rules than don't. Whatever punishment the NFL hands out is obviously nothing, as it doesn't stop players from wearing solid color socks or looking like Marshall. Until they start taking entire game checks, that will keep happening.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Cutler always wore a pair of socks with the feet cut off (essentially leg warmers) over his knees and down to his lower calves, with about four inches of white beneath. Then he would wear a normal pair of white socks tucked into them.

Marshall is doing the same thing, only he is wearing a second pair of socks to look like a jackass, just as Hester and various players on the Redskins have done. It looks like he has two pairs of "leg warmers" with the bottom set taped so they stay up. Then he is wearing ankle socks over them.

People need to look at this picture before they say "ZOMG! No Fun League!!1" and act like the NFL is draconian in uniform rules. More players violate written uniform rules than don't. Whatever punishment the NFL hands out is obviously nothing, as it doesn't stop players from wearing solid color socks or looking like Marshall. Until they start taking entire game checks, that will keep happening.

Thanks guys, very informative!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

p13142385dt.jpg

Cowboys need to man up and start wearing this more often.

Eh, not really. The color scheme is preferable to their primary look, yeah, but the jersey is pretty flawed, with the white outlines of white numbers, the '90s logo-in-stripe, and the wordmark completely disconnected from the rest of the team's identity. I can't believe it's survived 16 seasons. The navy jersey they wore before this, with the silver numbers and sleeve striping that matched the white shirt's - that was a much better look.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Having seen Seattle in their white/gray combo, that is definitely their best road look, and probably the pants they should wear at home as well.

I agree. In particular, the blue shirt, gray pants look at home is really a solid look. The monochrome is just too much, reminds me too much of the mess that wad the last set.

p13142385dt.jpg

I hate the Cowboys, but I love this jersey. It just is more color coordinated with the rest of their uniform than their standard ugly white jersey.

spacer.png

p13142385dt.jpg

I hate the Cowboys, but I love this jersey. It just is more color coordinated with the rest of their uniform than their standard ugly white jersey.

Agreed. It's by far the best jersey in their set. I hope they make a matching white version someday.

Really? So it wasn't draconian when several Saints players wore red and green tape for Christmas in prime time and were not just fined after the game but told by the league that if they didn't remove the tape at halftime, they couldn't play in the second half? I'm the first to say the bow celebration was silly and unnecessary but so was the league's reaction to the Christmas tape.

nfl_u_pierre-thomas_mb_600.jpg

===

New Orleans Saints running back Pierre Thomas has been fined $12,500 for a uniform violation and a touchdown celebration in which he placed a bow on a football and gave it to a fan during the Saints' win over the Atlanta Falcons. Pierre Thomas was fined $12,500 for his Christmas-themed celebration Monday night.

The fine for the celebration is $7,500. Thomas also violated NFL policies by wearing Christmas-themed green and red tape on his black and gold Saints uniform, and his fine for that is $5,000.

===

As for the Bear pair, fun? They look ridiculous.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Good for the NFL actually enforcing their uniform rules in that case, but that's not nearly as eggregious as the sock violations which more than half of NFL players get away with every single game. If guys like Charles Woodson are accepting of being fined $15,000 a game just to wear the socks they want, the fines need to start tripling every game until the players follow rules.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

wearing two pairs of socks makes someone a jackass? give me a break

I think the point is, you can wear two pairs of socks without it looking any different than it's supposed to look, according to the uniform guidelines, but most players double up on socks in a way that calls undue attention to their improper lower leg stylings.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

p13142385dt.jpg

Agreed. It's by far the best jersey in their set. I hope they make a matching white version someday.

Isn't that Cowboys blue jersey considered bad luck for them?

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived