NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody else like the white on yellow for the skins but wish they wore them with the traditional striped white socks and the pants had two stripes like the rest of the set?

they would look great if they just fixed those little details imo.

I prefer white jersey/burgundy pants and burgundy jersey/yellow pants.

The Seahawks really blew this thing to kingdom come.

I was a partial fan, but I'm looking at pictures now and it's hitting me....

THEY ARE BORING. SOMEHOW Nike's new super awesome Oregon team woohoo is BORING. Navy and grey? Seriously? They look so drab, but already dated. I'm revising my grade from a C+ to an F. This is pathetic.

I love it and I'd say 9/10 of us up here in the Queen City love it as well. And I'm willing to bet over the next few years a vast majority of nay-sayers will begin to like it more and more. Change is always difficult to accept in the beginning. But I also respect the negative feelings of the Seahawks new look on this board as well.

You could be right, I guess, but if I had to bet, I'd say the opposite will happen... there might be a large portion of people (especially Seahawk fans who naturally want to like the new uniform) who are excited about it, but that'll wear off.

Here's the problem with being on the cutting edge... the edge keeps moving. And when that edge has left you behind, you get stuck with something that has become pretty dated amazingly quickly (*cough* Vikings, Falcon, Bengals, Cardinals).

Classic looks on the other hand, can stay classic. There's one particular poster on these boards (sorry... Icecap or Gothamite, maybe?) that repeatedly uses the analogy of the pinstripe suit vs. the leasure suit. For a very short time... maybe 1977... you looked cooler in the latter, but for the most part, the classic rules.

THEY ARE BORING. SOMEHOW Nike's new super awesome Oregon team woohoo is BORING. Navy and grey? Seriously? They look so drab, but already dated. I'm revising my grade from a C+ to an F. This is pathetic.

I love it and I'd say 9/10 of us up here in the Queen City love it as well. And I'm willing to bet over the next few years a vast majority of nay-sayers will begin to like it more and more. Change is always difficult to accept in the beginning. But I also respect the negative feelings of the Seahawks new look on this board as well.

You could be right, I guess, but if I had to bet, I'd say the opposite will happen... there might be a large portion of people (especially Seahawk fans who naturally want to like the new uniform) who are excited about it, but that'll wear off.

Here's the problem with being on the cutting edge... the edge keeps moving. And when that edge has left you behind, you get stuck with something that has become pretty dated amazingly quickly (*cough* Vikings, Falcon, Bengals, Cardinals).

Classic looks on the other hand, can stay classic. There's one particular poster on these boards (sorry... Icecap or Gothamite, maybe?) that repeatedly uses the analogy of the pinstripe suit vs. the leasure suit. For a very short time... maybe 1977... you looked cooler in the latter, but for the most part, the classic rules.

I'm very disturbed that you placed the Seahawks new look with the likes of the Falcons, Vikings, and Cardinals. But I guess from a non-Seahawks fan point-of-view, I can see how someone would do that. I just don't like it, lol.

You do make valid points though.

I'm very disturbed that you placed the Seahawks new look with the likes of the Falcons, Vikings, and Cardinals. But I guess from a non-Seahawks fan point-of-view, I can see how someone would do that. I just don't like it, lol.

You do make valid points though.

That's how everyone should be looking at the uniforms. In order to come to a logical and non-biased opinion you have to look at things from the outside. As C.S. Lewis says, there's a huge difference between looking at something and looking along something. (Read "Meditation In A Toolshed" by him)

Now I say this as someone who kind of likes the new uniforms. As I've said before, their biggest problem is color balance. Fix the color problems and you have a slightly above average uniform.

jNTsTyQ.png

Why has no one else mentioned the single digit wr numbers that are appearing??

I haven't seen any WRs wearing any single-digit numbers like 1-9 ... is that what you're referring to and if so, whom??

WRs are supposed to be 80-89 and 10-19 .... the latter changed in the early 2000s because too many 80s numbers were retired. I had always wondered how the heck Keyshawn Johnson got # 19 in the late 90s when he was a rookie on the J-E-T-S after his USC days.

Paul Warfield on Miami I remember had # 42 and many other WRs had non 80s numbers, but that was before the NFL enforced the numbers rule, but there's been exceptions made like Devin Hester who kept his # 23 after da Bears converted him to a WR ....

It's a preseason thing. For some teams 10-19 & 80-89 are all taken or perhaps some are retired so some wideouts are wearing single digits until the rosters get thinned and some of the typical #s become available. I know Marquis Maze for the Steelers is wearing #3 right now but he'll likely get cut. If he were to make the team though he'll have to change unless there was a rule change.

What other teams have wideouts with single digits?

It's a preseason thing. For some teams 10-19 & 80-89 are all taken or perhaps some are retired so some wideouts are wearing single digits until the rosters get thinned and some of the typical #s become available. I know Marquis Maze for the Steelers is wearing #3 right now but he'll likely get cut. If he were to make the team though he'll have to change unless there was a rule change.

When the seahawks played the broncos I noticed seattle had a few 1-9 players (1, 5, and 9 were the ones I remember).

spacer.png

It was 2 years ago, but Victor Cruz wore #3 for the Giants in the preseason.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Going back to unis improving performance, I actually have a belief that's even more unscientific than the whole Nike thing, but I'm stiil convinced of it. If I was an NFL team, I'd never let an opponent wear their home uniform in my stadium. My reasoning is that if most teams play better at home, then any reminder of home, regardless of how small, gives them an advantage (or to state it another way, reduces the home-field advantage).

Saints are in black jerseys tonight btw. They look good (automatic "collar looks stupid" aside) and the gold numbers and fdl do seem to match the pants now.

Defense looks awful so far, but that's another post. :cry:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Redskins white over gold somehow looks bad this year compared to last. Not a fan. I think it's the flywire. Bring back the burgundy pants!! :cursing: But I think they want to wait to bring out the great burgundy over gold look.

Home - Burgundy over Gold

Road - White over Burgundy

spacer.png

We've both used it, but I have to credit infrared with its first use. Great analogy though.

For my birthday yesterday my parents got me an RG3 game jersey and I must say I love the material. The replica jerseys I had from rebok were nice but the numbers would wear away in the wash but with the game jerseys from Nike the numbers seem so much more durable

Tried some game jerseys on again today. Normally wear a large in reebok, but I felt the medium nike fit better. It still feels tighter in the armpits, but the collar seemed to turtle up less when I raised my arms.

70389454.png

Going back to unis improving performance, I actually have a belief that's even more unscientific than the whole Nike thing, but I'm stiil convinced of it. If I was an NFL team, I'd never let an opponent wear their home uniform in my stadium. My reasoning is that if most teams play better at home, then any reminder of home, regardless of how small, gives them an advantage (or to state it another way, reduces the home-field advantage).

Saints are in black jerseys tonight btw. They look good (automatic "collar looks stupid" aside) and the gold numbers and fdl do seem to match the pants now.

Collars do look awful but why on earth is the Nike logo so far up next to the TV numbers it just looks like a cheap knockoff or something.

Collars do look awful but why on earth is the Nike logo so far up next to the TV numbers it just looks like a cheap knockoff or something.

Yep.

11481226-standard.jpg

The black over gold set looks pretty damn good. The gold was off on the numbers before.

pierre-thomas206jpg-6da9a8988ad49c71_large.jpg

Okay, Morgan's progressed was stopped about 5 minutes before they ripped the ball out...(%*#$# replacement refs.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived