Denver Broncos: the redesign15 years later

ebod39

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point. However, consider the previous iteration had blue numbers on the roadies, as well.

FAKE EDIT: and now that I think about it, they may be better off leaving the roadie numbers as is. I guess I'd have to see a mockup to be sure, though.

That's true. They looked like an orange team at home and blue on the road. Sticking with blue numbers on the roads would go along with Elway trying to revert to something more in line with the team's history.

Then again, his and the franchise's best moments were with the new blue. And even with orange at home these are anything but traditional.

Now I've gone and turned my brain into a pretzel.

So, why is "it looks very 60s" a compliment while "it looks very 90s" means "dated"?

I certainly don't think that. Just like "very 90s" means dated, so to does "very 60s."

I'd say the old D/bronco logo is classic. The bucking star eyed bronco is dated 60s.

So, why is "it looks very 60s" a compliment while "it looks very 90s" means "dated"?

I certainly don't think that. Just like "very 90s" means dated, so to does "very 60s."

I'd say the old D/bronco logo is classic. The bucking star eyed bronco is dated 60s.

to be more specific, the colors and style of mid 20th century graphic design just aligns with a part of modern design. its minimalist, textured, and often the colors are what you might see on an automobile (thinking of 50s to 60s muscle cars here). typography also throws back to that time. as for examples, look here: http://dribbble.com/BrandMooreArt/buckets/9981-vintage-modernism and here: http://dribbble.com/BrandMooreArt/buckets/24103-retro-minimalism

late 90s design got out of hand with the rapid growth of technology and software, people were so excited about drop shadows and highlights, it was on everything. tapered lines and swooshes, a lot of navy and black in sports. darker colors were replacing bright palettes, generally.

i think its quite easy to see any of the Broncos logos and know its era. i dont see that D logo as a "classic". the illustration style tips it off, and its not a very well crafted design anyway.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

That's a good point. Some eras were defined by a design aesthetic that still works today. Some not so much.

I agree that the 90s was one of those eras plagued by a relatively poor design philosophy. The rise of computer design allowed many designers to create logos that had greater technical precision but poorer aesthetics. And the rise of merchandising meant a move towards a more bland palette, so as not to clash with khakis when worn on the street.

So while the designs from some eras can continue unchanged, most designs from the 1990s will always look it, and won't even attain the same "retro" cache even when old.

That's a good point. Some eras were defined by a design aesthetic that still works today. Some not so much.

I agree that the 90s was one of those eras plagued by a relatively poor design philosophy. The rise of computer design allowed many designers to create logos that had greater technical precision but poorer aesthetics. And the rise of merchandising meant a move towards a more bland palette, so as not to clash with khakis when worn on the street.

So while the designs from some eras can continue unchanged, most designs from the 1990s will always look it, and won't even attain the same "retro" cache even when old.

agreed. i think we're in a 2nd minimalist movement driven by a response to clean away the "crud" left over from the 90s and early 2000s. same happend with the Swiss inspired minimalist movement of the 60s led by the creation of Helvetica

GRAPHIC ARTIST

As a designer who looks at the evolution of television news over the years, I would agree with the statements.

I would agree that some 90s pieces are great, while others are questionable. For sure some of the better stuff came in the middle of the decade ? after the 80s trends had passed but before the un-minimalist stuff of the late 90s set in.

Looking at it, if they ditched the horn stripes and the spike stripes on the helmet, and used a standard stripe pattern on the pants, maybe a thick blue stripe with thinner orange stripes flanking it, these wouldn't be bad at all, but I'd prefer something more conservative all around. I've just never been a fan of the look. Going back to a lighter, more unique blue would be welcome.

you're right about the blue. i change my mind, i like this better

screenshot20120115at211.png

Don't like the black shoes. Doesn't work here.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

there is no other option besides black in my world, Chawls, :)

Do you view shoes as some view facemasks, as equipment? I'm curious because I view them as part of a team's uniform. And since there's no black anywhere else in the uniform, to me, it just doesn't flow.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Do you view shoes as some view facemasks, as equipment? I'm curious because I view them as part of a team's uniform. And since there's no black anywhere else in the uniform, to me, it just doesn't flow.

it could go either way. truth is i dont mind color or white cleats (new Adi Zeros look great) but yea i do side with the equipment crowd on preference. i like the way black looks with any uniform. black will always be a classic color and dosent draw too much attention. i think its the ultimate neutral for cleats. whites disappear into the socks too much, so you dont have that separation of leg and foot which seems odd to me. like grey mask, black cleats have that old school vibe to them

GRAPHIC ARTIST

it could go either way. truth is i dont mind color or white cleats (new Adi Zeros look great) but yea i do side with the equipment crowd on preference. i like the way black looks with any uniform. black will always be a classic color and dosent draw too much attention. i think its the ultimate neutral for cleats. whites disappear into the socks too much, so you dont have that separation of leg and foot which seems odd to me. like grey mask, black cleats have that old school vibe to them

This is where I'm in total disagreement with you. To me, it's white that is the ultimate neutral color for cleats. Since every team has a white jersey, white cleats will coordinate with any team's color scheme.

But I'll let you have your black, since today is MLK Jr. Day. B)

This is where I'm in total disagreement with you. To me, it's white that is the ultimate neutral color for cleats. Since every team has a white jersey, white cleats will coordinate with any team's color scheme.

But I'll let you have your black, since today is MLK Jr. Day. B)

LMAO, that works for me

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Low-top black cleats with plenty of the white part of the sock showing look fine to me. The problem comes when players use black tape over the cleats and half way up the calf. Then this look just does not work at all in my opinion, and especially for teams that don't have black anywhere else in their color scheme.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

this won't be very popular, but IN MY OPINION the only team who should be wearing black shoes is the Chicago Bears. Everybody else would look better with white. That includes teams with black in their color scheme.

PvO6ZWJ.png

this won't be very popular, but IN MY OPINION the only team who should be wearing black shoes is the Chicago Bears. Everybody else would look better with white. That includes teams with black in their color scheme.

White shoes always end up looking green on natural turf. Black ones stay crisp looking no matter the surface, but I definitely prefer true black footwear; none of this half black/half white crud or half black/half team color. When I specify black shoes, I want black, with the only color being the logos, if necessary. I want this:

adidas-adizero-5-star---mens---blackblackblack-full.jpg41k0fwzzfyL.jpg

Not this:

adidas-adizero-5-star---mens---blackwhite-full.jpg41hD2rL7qWL.jpg

The Nike color-ups aren't terrible, and I wouldn't mind all black with colored three stripes on those adizeros, but the colored soleplate and tongue are not working for me, and even though it breaks my rule for football, I really like these that are coming out this spring (the only time I generally like team colored shoes is when they have a clean, purposeful design like these):

379508_10151048460050249_198271385248_22214932_145791917_n.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm surprised that in the era of astroturf and experimentation, team-colored cleats didn't become a thing in football like they did (and still are) in baseball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Since our opinions are most likely similar, I'll list who I think should wear black shoes:

? Buccaneers

? Bears

? Lions (since they've properly included black in their color scheme)

? Seahawks (with their current unis; we'll see about 2012)

? Ravens

Everyone should either wear white or team colored shoes, IMO. In fairness, let me say that when I started following the NFL in 2003, 24 of the 32 teams wore white shoes (.750). Now, 21 of the 32 teams wear black (.656). Most people will prefer the style that was prevalent when they first started watching.

While I don't mind the black cleats at all, I think color would look good with your posted design. That being said, I don't think it would work right now in the NFL. Had they done it before a college team then it would have been alright, but being Orange and Blue and both being Broncos is already too many similarities. Same shoe style would be over the top.

I dislike the team, but I like the cleats/socks

cdf9b496920e0f277ffb2b8a7412db5b-getty-134717886.jpg

Archived