Steelers getting new throwback unis for 2012

scraw28

Steelers new throwback uni

Steelers To Wear New Throwback Uniforms For Two Home Games in 2012

by Dave Bryan on Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

The Pittsburgh Steelers will wear new "throwback" uniforms for two homes games in 2012 as the team celebrates its 80th season in the NFL according to team Steelers president Art Rooney II on Tuesday. Rooney met with several of the Pittsburgh media today for a 20 plus minute interview to put a wrap on the 2011 season and look forward to 2012.

The Steelers wore throwback uniforms this past season at home against the Baltimore Ravens and the Cleveland Browns and they featured the black jersey tops with yellow stripes and yellow numbers. They wore these with the white pants that had yellow and black striping and of course those bright yellow helmets. There is no word what the 2012 version of the throwbacks will look like, but speculation is that they could be the 1967 season uniforms.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Steelers fan would ever go for this, but I've always loved the idea of a swap of pants and jersey color. A yellow alternate with black pants. Let's be honest: If not for Steelers tradition, it would be a great look.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Maybe they can ask Mario his opinion and get Vegas gold or 10 shades of blue /sarcasm

I'd rather see the Steelers incorperate some white or black pants as an option for a game or 2.

If I were king, I'd outline the logo in yellow, put it on both sides, have virtual rivets or hypocycloids holding the logo on the helmet (one for each SB championship) and get that off the chest. Have yellow topped socks for the black pants /neverwouldhappen.

KISSwall09.jpg

No Steelers fan would ever go for this, but I've always loved the idea of a swap of pants and jersey color. A yellow alternate with black pants. Let's be honest: If not for Steelers tradition, it would be a great look.

While searching across Ebay, I found this. Interesting...

$(KGrHqEOKjME1sY0jC46BNb6mUbdZQ~~_3.JPG

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Steelers new throwback uni

Steelers To Wear New Throwback Uniforms For Two Home Games in 2012

by Dave Bryan on Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

The Pittsburgh Steelers will wear new "throwback" uniforms for two homes games in 2012 as the team celebrates its 80th season in the NFL according to team Steelers president Art Rooney II on Tuesday. Rooney met with several of the Pittsburgh media today for a 20 plus minute interview to put a wrap on the 2011 season and look forward to 2012.

The Steelers wore throwback uniforms this past season at home against the Baltimore Ravens and the Cleveland Browns and they featured the black jersey tops with yellow stripes and yellow numbers. They wore these with the white pants that had yellow and black striping and of course those bright yellow helmets. There is no word what the 2012 version of the throwbacks will look like, but speculation is that they could be the 1967 season uniforms.

03-68frontwiden_97386.jpg

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

That was actually going to be a legit alt jersey before either the league squashed it or the team backed off (can't remember the specifics but the yellow alt was definitely close to being a reality.)

They wanted a light color alt to wear on the road when they opened the season in hot weather cities and were forced to wear their dark jerseys. The thought was that yellow was light enough to not absorb all of the heat (yes, we all know it can be debated how big a deal that really is) but dark enough to still be a "dark" jersey. Either the league felt that there wasn't enough contrast vs the white team or the team nixed it at the last minute, but IIRC some were actually produced.

IMHO it would be awesome.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

>>>>

Rather than using the one with the shoulder-yoke for throwback, perhaps they'll bring back the jersey with the yellow-gold diamond shape with the overlaid numbers on the sleeve. That IMO would look choice.

The prior throwbacks would have looked somewhat more genuine if they had used the khaki colored pants that they originally wore with those jerseys around 1960, although they never had the decal on the right side of the yellow helmet 'til the 2nd half of the '62 season.

That was actually going to be a legit alt jersey before either the league squashed it or the team backed off (can't remember the specifics but the yellow alt was definitely close to being a reality.)

They wanted a light color alt to wear on the road when they opened the season in hot weather cities and were forced to wear their dark jerseys. The thought was that yellow was light enough to not absorb all of the heat (yes, we all know it can be debated how big a deal that really is) but dark enough to still be a "dark" jersey. Either the league felt that there wasn't enough contrast vs the white team or the team nixed it at the last minute, but IIRC some were actually produced.

IMHO it would be awesome.

I remember that story, too, although I thought the league shot it down over the "no alts on the road" clause. Which was ironic, cuz the Panthers did just that later that same season.

However, I could be remembering it wrong.

I agree that it could've been an awesome look. The Rams wore athletic gold jerseys as a home color for years in the 50s, and should again IMO... there really isn't an issue with the visabilty of gold / white, to me.

Including at least one gold-on-gold game with the Packers.

Wasn't this already stated on here 2 or 3 months ago in another thread? But regardless, this throwback is a much better improvement over the one they have been using.

video_140.png

Steelers-Hall-3.jpgwoodson_throwback.jpg

Yes, and a couple months ago the rumor was that they were bringing those very jerseys back.

I agree that it could've been an awesome look. The Rams wore athletic gold jerseys as a home color for years in the 50s, and should again IMO... there really isn't an issue with the visabilty of gold / white, to me.

>>>>

Looked pretty good to me for NFL-75 back in '94 ... LA Rams 1951 look against SF's 1955 look, except for both helmets

sf-v-la.jpg

Archived