Astros considering new uniforms, name change

ShlyKBMT

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fan reaction to the name change was so intense the team had to post a disclaimer on their FB page that nothing name-related has been decided and that they welcome the feedback. Looks like they wanted to float the idea to gauge fan reaction, and they got a huge reaction. It was such a negative reaction, now they have to say, "Hey, we just wanted some feedback, we aren't changing anything yet."

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

For the following reasons...

- Astros owner Jim Crane is from St. Louis (birds) area (assuming a Cards fan)

- His company was called Eagle

- The former Negro League team in town was the Houston Eagles

- Bald eagles are found in the state of Texas

Therefore, I suggest...

Houston Talons

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

>>>>

As big Astros fans, how does the consensus there in Houston and East Texas feel about them being moved to the AL?

Personally, I hate the notion of it and felt it should have been the Milwaukee Brewers returning back to the AL .... with the Astros v Rangers meeting each season in inter-league play, just like the Mets-Yanks, LAA-LAD, Chisox-Cubs, Tribe-Reds, A's-Giants, Bal-Wsh, etc etc

I'd love to see the Orioles play the Cardinals in St L in their old St Louis Browns uniforms .... similar to when the Atlanta Braves played the Red Sox at Fenway in their old Boston Braves duds ... Why the Athletics didn't do that last season when playing the Phillies in Philadelphia was a blown opportunity ...

Oops, sorry to get a bit off-subject ...

Not sure how the consensus in Houston and East Texas feel, but this Astros fan in Louisiana hates the idea. Other teams with far less NL seniority would be better candidates. The geography=rivalry argument for putting the Astros in the same division with the Rangers is BS. Some of the best rivalries in sports involve or have involved teams on different sides of the country. Conversely, just because you have a neighbor doesn't mean you have a rival (see Phillies-Pirates over the last 20 years).

Back on topic, I would like to see the Astros go back to navy and orange. I don't buy the colors-must-fit-the-stadium argument. I don't want to see the return of the rainbows, but a refresh of the 1965-70 uniforms or even those exact uniforms would be OK with me. You could use the shooting star logo on the uniforms as the primary logo since the Astrodome logo no longer applies.

Do the Astros have any significant rivalries these days?

I can remember a time when the Mets would have viewed them as rivals, but that was decades ago.

The Brewers have shared a division with them for 15 years, but out of all the teams in the NL Central I would tend to view the Astros as the least important divisional rival. Even if they did keep hiring former Brewers to manage.

Do the Astros have any significant rivalries these days?

Wait until they move to the AL and play the Rangers a dozen or so times a year.

As much as I don't like the Astros being the team to move (I guess it would make the most sense), you can mark that down as a solid rival right there.

BTW, love the avatar.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

>>>>

As big Astros fans, how does the consensus there in Houston and East Texas feel about them being moved to the AL?

Personally, I hate the notion of it and felt it should have been the Milwaukee Brewers returning back to the AL .... with the Astros v Rangers meeting each season in inter-league play, just like the Mets-Yanks, LAA-LAD, Chisox-Cubs, Tribe-Reds, A's-Giants, Bal-Wsh, etc etc

I'd love to see the Orioles play the Cardinals in St L in their old St Louis Browns uniforms .... similar to when the Atlanta Braves played the Red Sox at Fenway in their old Boston Braves duds ... Why the Athletics didn't do that last season when playing the Phillies in Philadelphia was a blown opportunity ...

Oops, sorry to get a bit off-subject ...

Not sure how the consensus in Houston and East Texas feel, but this Astros fan in Louisiana hates the idea. Other teams with far less NL seniority would be better candidates. The geography=rivalry argument for putting the Astros in the same division with the Rangers is BS. Some of the best rivalries in sports involve or have involved teams on different sides of the country. Conversely, just because you have a neighbor doesn't mean you have a rival (see Phillies-Pirates over the last 20 years).

Back on topic, I would like to see the Astros go back to navy and orange. I don't buy the colors-must-fit-the-stadium argument. I don't want to see the return of the rainbows, but a refresh of the 1965-70 uniforms or even those exact uniforms would be OK with me. You could use the shooting star logo on the uniforms as the primary logo since the Astrodome logo no longer applies.

I don't think stadiums need to be themed to the team, but in the case of Minute Maid, the Astros specifically made an effort to tie the theme into the team. That was Drayton McLane's decision. I think they can go away from that (and they should), but I'm just pointing out how they got to this point. If they change the signage at the park, they should be OK. I also think if they go with a Blue Jays-style retro update it will fit perfectly.

As an aside, I know the Jays took their fair share of grief over their various uniforms over the years, but the retro update may be setting the standard by which teams that are in a sort of middling uniform limbo can correct their identities. The Astros are a perfect example.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

How many teams going retro would it take before people start making comparisons to the number of teams going retro in the NBA?

Back on topic, hope for Houston that they keep the Astros name. I personally liked the 90s uniform set best, but it may be "stuck" in the 90s.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I currently love the Astros set, maybe not the home, but the road and orange alternates are beautiful. I hope they don't change anything.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Posted this somewhere else a while back, but I wish the stros would lean towards something like this.

astros.png

As a devout Astros fan, i absolutely do not want to see the 90's set make a comeback. I don't care what anybody says, those things are a complete pile of crap. They worked for the 90s, but its 2012. I know that sounds a little ironic since I'm wanting them to modernize something from the 60's, but i don't think there's any way to make that uniform look good... that's just my opinion.

I would be shocked as hell if they did something as great as this. Maybe a bit more of an update on the cap logo & it would be perfect for me.

CCSLsig.png

Join us at Space City Lions - Houston's Aston Villa Supporters Club

I wouldn't doubt the "hot" color is orange in baseball now with the fish going orange, the Orioles, and Giants emphasizing orange as well. With Houston's closet having orange, I wouldn't be shocked if some orange comes back...even in throwback (which is another "hot" craze) to be involved.

KISSwall09.jpg

What's wrong with the name Astros? The city has ties to the space program. Texas is the "Lone Star" state. I think it is good, unique name.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived