Astros considering new uniforms, name change

ShlyKBMT

The name change is NOT going to happen. The owners put feelers out towards it potentially happening and got such an overwhelmingly negative response that any possible plans gor it were shelved. The name Astros will be staying.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about calling them the Houston Disastros, since they've become a Dis-astro-us mlb team over the past few seasons. Maybe the Houston Lastros. That would work just fine. :lol:

Good idea! Or combine them with the Rangers and be the Rastros, then the Cardinals and Royals can be the Kansas City Cardinals!!

I'm the opposite. That cap logo worked because it was a shooting star (not italic, shooting). The current star logo is just a plain star that's missing a side. It's not moving, it's just sitting there and thus you've defeated the pupose of the missing notch.

And they had that color scheme before the Brewers and will be in a different league than the Brewers so I'm okay with it.

I'd still like to see navy and orange though.

The star is missing a side because the negative space is in the shape of the astronaut insignia.

70389454.png

I would like the 'Stros to change the unis, but to keep their name. I think Houston would change their unis in a similar style like Toronto or Baltimore with a fauxback. The Astros name connects the city of Houston for its space exploration and mostly, the Astrodome. I hope the unis are based off their early years before the rainbow unis. Here's what they should look similar to. http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=nl_1971_houston.gif&Entryid=1184

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

New Astros owner Jim Crane now on record saying Astros name will not change:

No name change here; Astros to remain the Astros

?One thing that we are not going to change is the name. We received strong feedback and consensus among season ticket holders and many fans, and we will not change the name Astros. The Houston Astros are here to stay.?

How about calling them the Houston Disastros, since they've become a Dis-astro-us mlb team over the past few seasons. Maybe the Houston Lastros. That would work just fine. :lol:

Good idea! Or combine them with the Rangers and be the Rastros, then the Cardinals and Royals can be the Kansas City Cardinals!!

Or combine the Dodgers and Angels, so that together you get the Los Angeles Angels.....oh wait!!! :P

• 3 weeks later...

From the MLB 2012 Thread:

Not really sure where to put this, taken from another message board.

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Midtown where they have their weekly "Astroline" show, and the show's guest last night was Jim Crane.

They talked about the uniforms in-depth.

He said they're bringing in 2 outside firms next week to consult for the new uniform design. They're going to take the 2 firms' ideas and incorporate some fan feedback into helping them decide.

He also said that he was a fan of the old uniforms and wants to incorporate them as well (don't know if he was referencing the color scheme or wearing throwbacks more often).

He said that they have to submit a new uniform idea to MLB before THIS season starts, and their plans are to have a design finalized by April 1st with the formal announcement taking place after this season.

My concern here is that they will rush out some half-ass idea before March 31 to get new uniforms under the deadline. I don't think this as simple as re-coloring the current set to the old colors (could be construed as a half-ass adea), or just re-instating an old set (which would be completely moronic). My hope is that, since they are hellbent on changing the uniforms for 2013, that they bring in whoever came up with the Blue Jays re-imagination, tell them to do that to the original Astros set, and be done with it. But I secretly dread a Marlins-like monstrosity, or worse, the return of the Tequila Sunrise.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Midtown where they have their weekly "Astroline" show, and the show's guest last night was Jim Crane.

He said they're bringing in 2 outside firms next week to consult for the new uniform design. They're going to take the 2 firms' ideas and incorporate some fan feedback into helping them decide.

He also said that he was a fan of the old uniforms and wants to incorporate them as well (don't know if he was referencing the color scheme or wearing throwbacks more often).

He said that they have to submit a new uniform idea to MLB before THIS season starts, and their plans are to have a design finalized by April 1st with the formal announcement taking place after this season.

My concern here is that they will rush out some half-ass idea before March 31 to get new uniforms under the deadline. I don't think this as simple as re-coloring the current set to the old colors (could be construed as a half-ass adea), or just re-instating an old set (which would be completely moronic). My hope is that, since they are hellbent on changing the uniforms for 2013, that they bring in whoever came up with the Blue Jays re-imagination, tell them to do that to the original Astros set, and be done with it. But I secretly dread a Marlins-like monstrosity, or worse, the return of the Tequila Sunrise.

Would they have to actually have the design finalized or just inform MLB of their intent to change for 2013 by March 31/April 1?

Would they have to actually have the design finalized or just inform MLB of their intent to change for 2013 by March 31/April 1?

From what I've read/heard in the past, you gotta be most of the way there with the design. Small tweaks are allowed after the deadline, but you need to know what direction you're going. They can't just say they are changing and then spend all summer designing it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I thought March 31st was when they had to inform MLB of their intent to change (and maybe some idea or concept, not sure) and the final changes had to be in by either May 1st or 31st, can't remember which exactly. Did they change these dates?

Actually, I think this sounds right. I just know they have to have a near-final design well before the end of the season.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

From today's Chronicle..

KISSIMMEE, Fla. ? The Astros are ?leaning heavily? toward new uniforms to accompany the club?s move to the American League in 2013, owner Jim Crane said Sunday.

?If the change is going to be made, certainly next year going to the American League is our transition and we?re leaning heavily that way,? Crane said on his second visit to Astros spring training.

Crane had officials from Major League Baseball come in to work with the club last week. He was informed that changes to logos, uniforms and other branding must be submitted by May 1. They cannot be released to the public until after this season.

?We?ll get some of the staff and some of the fans in on the next look, and hopefully we?ll make a decision on the deadline that they?re requiring if we?re going to make a decision,? Crane said.

Crane spent the morning in a team meeting as full-squad workouts were set to begin. With Carlos Lee, Jonathan Singleton and Jonathan Villar reporting to camp, all 63 players were in place and heard from Crane, general manager Jeff Luhnow and Brad Mills in the annual pep talk.

They then hit the field to the first rainy practice day with pitchers about to throw to hitters for the first time.

I thought March 31st was when they had to inform MLB of their intent to change (and maybe some idea or concept, not sure) and the final changes had to be in by either May 1st or 31st, can't remember which exactly. Did they change these dates?

Actually, I think this sounds right. I just know they have to have a near-final design well before the end of the season.

That sounds right to me as well. Most teams unveil their new looks in the fall, and merchandise has to be on the shelves when they do.

That means the design is finalized several months before that, in late summer. Add a couple months before to incorporate MLB's tweaking/approval process, and you're left with the team finalizing its intended uniform sometime in the late spring.

Posted this somewhere else a while back, but I wish the stros would lean towards something like this.

astros.png

As a devout Astros fan, i absolutely do not want to see the 90's set make a comeback. I don't care what anybody says, those things are a complete pile of crap. They worked for the 90s, but its 2012. I know that sounds a little ironic since I'm wanting them to modernize something from the 60's, but i don't think there's any way to make that uniform look good... that's just my opinion.

I usually cringe when yet another team jumps on the navy bandwagon, but with navy playing second fiddle to the orange in this concept, it works. I freaking love this look! Would be great to see a team go full time, or at least, full time either at home or away, in orange caps like these. Second best, in my opinion, would be to bring back the uni's shown on the SI cover. But these are awesome...great job!

Archived