2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

I've never been completely sold that steroids were the most influential impact in the rise of power-hitting numbers in baseball. They were a factor, but there was a perfect storm of other factors that helped hitters put up the numbers they did:

1. Watered-down pitching due to expansion.

2. Tighter-wound baseballs.

3. New stadia being built with smaller dimensions (or in areas of higher altitude).

4. Better strategy in using the DH.

5. Hitters no longer having shame in striking out.....i.e. being encouraged to "swing for the fences" even with two strikes.

6. Hitters generally being vastly fitter than baseball players of the past.

Steroids weren't this magical potion that suddenly allowed a player to play the game better.....if I took steroids, I doubt I'd be able to hit a 95mph fastball. They helped in getting strength up and helping players recover faster, as well as assisting in the psychological aspect of a player's mindset.....but I don't think steroids were any more a factor in the rise of power numbers than the other factors I listed.

The ballparks alone were a big contributor in the rise of homeruns. The Astros went from playing in the uber pitching-friendly AstroDome to playing in hitter-friendly Minute Maid Park (or whatever it's called now). Teams like the Phillies, Reds, and Pirates went from spacious multi-purpose venues to hitter-friendly parks. The Rockies didn't start using the humidor until around 2007 or so.

Fair enough. So why the sudden drop in power numbers once testing was instituted? Did the parks suddenly get bigger while the pitchers suddenly got a lot better? Did strikeouts become shameful again? Are the baseballs not wound as tightly? Was the game overrun with stupid managers who can't figure out how to use an extra hitter in the lineup?

Between 1961 and 1994, three players had a 50 HR season. That's three in 33 years. From 1994-2003 we saw Sammy Sosa alone hit over 60 three times. McGwire did it twice. Bonds and McGwire both reached the previously unthinkable number of 70 for a season. Luis Gonzalez of all people hit 57 one season. How about Brady Anderson? Career high of 21 before he hit 50 in 1996. Am I supposed to believe that all the factors you mentioned led to a 29 HR increase from Brady Anderson?

50 HR seasons before the "steroid era": 18 (1901-1993)

50 HR seasons during the "steroid era": 19 (1994-2003)

50 HR seasons since testing was started: 6 (2003-present)

Sorry, but that type of statistical anomaly is not because a baseball was wound tighter or ballparks were smaller.

Again, if all the factors you mentioned brought on the power onslaught, then why did it end so suddenly? Seems to me that in both cases we'd have seen a a more gradual move in both directions.

That said, if a pitcher admitting that he would have never made the majors without steroids isn't going to convince the steroid apologists, there's really no point in me trying to convince them.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think that a rotation with Verlander, a reliable guy in Fister, and a combustible K machine like Scherzer,

Due to injury or whatever, Fister has not been all that relibale this year. For the Tigers to have a shot he needs to turn it around.

Remember that the Tigers had a monster 2nd half last season. There was a series in mid-August (or something) where the Tigers and Tribe were only 1.5 games separated. By the end of the season, they were separated by 15 games. I'm not about to say that the Tigers will play .790 ball again down the stretch or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a case of a team that took a little while to gel. Didn't some of those guys get off to really, really slow starts to the season, on the offensive side of things?

spacer.png

Delmon Young has just homered in 4 straight games. It's to bad the All Star break is coming. Hopefully he won't cool off.

Also, the Tigers pitchers set the AL record for most strike outs as a team before the break.

I still think that a rotation with Verlander, a reliable guy in Fister, and a combustible K machine like Scherzer,

Due to injury or whatever, Fister has not been all that relibale this year. For the Tigers to have a shot he needs to turn it around.

Remember that the Tigers had a monster 2nd half last season. There was a series in mid-August (or something) where the Tigers and Tribe were only 1.5 games separated. By the end of the season, they were separated by 15 games. I'm not about to say that the Tigers will play .790 ball again down the stretch or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a case of a team that took a little while to gel. Didn't some of those guys get off to really, really slow starts to the season, on the offensive side of things?

Yeah, sort of. Hopefully you are right and they start winning. It's looking better.

I've never been completely sold that steroids were the most influential impact in the rise of power-hitting numbers in baseball. They were a factor, but there was a perfect storm of other factors that helped hitters put up the numbers they did:

1. Watered-down pitching due to expansion.

2. Tighter-wound baseballs.

3. New stadia being built with smaller dimensions (or in areas of higher altitude).

4. Better strategy in using the DH.

5. Hitters no longer having shame in striking out.....i.e. being encouraged to "swing for the fences" even with two strikes.

6. Hitters generally being vastly fitter than baseball players of the past.

Steroids weren't this magical potion that suddenly allowed a player to play the game better.....if I took steroids, I doubt I'd be able to hit a 95mph fastball. They helped in getting strength up and helping players recover faster, as well as assisting in the psychological aspect of a player's mindset.....but I don't think steroids were any more a factor in the rise of power numbers than the other factors I listed.

The ballparks alone were a big contributor in the rise of homeruns. The Astros went from playing in the uber pitching-friendly AstroDome to playing in hitter-friendly Minute Maid Park (or whatever it's called now). Teams like the Phillies, Reds, and Pirates went from spacious multi-purpose venues to hitter-friendly parks. The Rockies didn't start using the humidor until around 2007 or so.

Fair enough. So why the sudden drop in power numbers once testing was instituted? Did the parks suddenly get bigger while the pitchers suddenly got a lot better? Did strikeouts become shameful again? Are the baseballs not wound as tightly? Was the game overrun with stupid managers who can't figure out how to use an extra hitter in the lineup?

Between 1961 and 1994, three players had a 50 HR season. That's three in 33 years. From 1994-2003 we saw Sammy Sosa alone hit over 60 three times. McGwire did it twice. Bonds and McGwire both reached the previously unthinkable number of 70 for a season. Luis Gonzalez of all people hit 57 one season. How about Brady Anderson? Career high of 21 before he hit 50 in 1996. Am I supposed to believe that all the factors you mentioned led to a 29 HR increase from Brady Anderson?

50 HR seasons before the "steroid era": 18 (1901-1993)

50 HR seasons during the "steroid era": 19 (1994-2003)

50 HR seasons since testing was started: 6 (2003-present)

Sorry, but that type of statistical anomaly is not because a baseball was wound tighter or ballparks were smaller.

Again, if all the factors you mentioned brought on the power onslaught, then why did it end so suddenly? Seems to me that in both cases we'd have seen a a more gradual move in both directions.

That said, if a pitcher admitting that he would have never made the majors without steroids isn't going to convince the steroid apologists, there's really no point in me trying to convince them.

Obviously, overall pitching has gotten better. A lot better. It seems like there are weekly flirtations with no-hitters, not to mention a lot more soccer-like scores.

I think a fairer assessment of power numbers would be the total number of homeruns hit.....not just the number of guys that have hit 50+ homers. According to ESPN's Home Run Tracker, the homerun rate is up this season as opposed to 2011. We may not have singular guys piling up outrageous homerun totals, but collectively, homeruns are up at this point. (At a rate of 2.02 homers/game.)

Advanced scouting has also gotten better and better, thanks to the new technology that's out there. You can pull up stats on every hitter's at-bats by count. This wasn't as prevalent as it was just a few years ago.

The game is also evolving a bit. To me, there doesn't seem to be as many managers that sit around and wait for the 3-run homer like they did a few years ago. There's also the Sabermetric GM's that are putting a bigger premium on hitters getting on base as opposed to their ability to hit homeruns. There's plenty of other reasons why overall power numbers are down than just steroids.

Pitching's the easy answer, and almost no one can doubt that pitching hasn't gotten better. The technological and physical evolution of the game is also bringing down power numbers.

I still believe (and know) that you'll actually still have to workout to gain anything from the whole ordeal. The thing about steroids that I've read is that it helps you with energy and recovery, which in turn helps you perform in the gym. More gym time and more effort in the gym. It doesn't just make you automatically stronger or a better athlete (hitter/pitcher)... which I said in my original post.

From the insane energy levels and recovery time, players on steroids are able to work out even more and spend more time practicing, which in turn helps that pitcher throw a few mph faster and that hitter hit with a bit more power. It's not going to directly help your hitting or pitching abilities. These guys like Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens are still going to be great ballplayers, the steroids just help them get the most out of their abilities.

You can believe all that if it makes you feel better but it's complete BS. Look at the numbers before and after steroid testing. Now are you really going to try to tell me that steroids had a negligible effect on players and stats?

Are you not understanding me? The guys on steroids are able to workout more efficiently due to the steroids, so it in turn helps their ability. You can't just take steroids before the game and just go hit 4 homers. You have to work out, and the steroids help them. It's called Human Growth Hormone. It helps them grow.... It's not called Human hit better hormone.

I'm pretty much agreeing with you in that I also believe steroids helped these guys a get a :censored:load better... but you're saying that these guys don't even need to workout and they can just juice and automatically be better, which is just not correct.

So lemme get this straight, Ian Desmond is sitting out the All-Star Game due to injury, yet he's homered in back-to-back games and stole a pair of bases this afternoon??? :blink:

6uXNWAo.png

So lemme get this straight, Ian Desmond is sitting out the All-Star Game due to injury, yet he's homered in back-to-back games and stole a pair of bases this afternoon??? :blink:

If its bothering him i'd rather him take the time off. He means more to the Nats than he does to the All Star Game. Personally i'd rather see Strasburg and Harper miss too. Strasburg looks like hes running out of steam right now and Harpers had a wonky back for a good bit of the season.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Pirates 10-0 up now, not bad for a team that 'doesn't' score runs!

Start to believe Bucco fans!

Every time this team loses a game, I start to think "oh crap, this is it"...

... then they go out and not only win, but do something like this shortly after.

Damn I hope this lasts.

oBIgzrL.png

The Sox-Jays game has been one of the worst officiated games I have seen in some time. There are two entirely different strike zones for the teams, with the Sox pitchers' zone slightly squeezed and the Jays' pitchers getting 5 inches in each direction. It speaks for how poorly the Blue Jays have pitched that they are going up 0-2 on the hitter seemingly 70% of the time and they still have given up 9 runs.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They should just do what the NHL does and "suspend" the player for a game if he misses the All-Star Game due to injury. If a player's actually hurt the suspension wouldn't matter since he won't be playing anyways.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

They should just do what the NHL does and "suspend" the player for a game if he misses the All-Star Game due to injury. If a player's actually hurt the suspension wouldn't matter since he won't be playing anyways.

I tend to agree with that.

If your not healthy enough to play the All-Star game then your not healthy enough to play at least the day before and or after.

To pound the drum I've been beating all season, the Rays once again won a game where they trailed entering the 9th inning.

That's seven times in 85 games, for those keeping track. This bit of good luck entirely cancels out the bad luck they've had with injuries - historically great teams would have trouble winning that many games in that fashion over 162 games, let alone half of that.

spacer.png

I still believe (and know) that you'll actually still have to workout to gain anything from the whole ordeal. The thing about steroids that I've read is that it helps you with energy and recovery, which in turn helps you perform in the gym. More gym time and more effort in the gym. It doesn't just make you automatically stronger or a better athlete (hitter/pitcher)... which I said in my original post.

From the insane energy levels and recovery time, players on steroids are able to work out even more and spend more time practicing, which in turn helps that pitcher throw a few mph faster and that hitter hit with a bit more power. It's not going to directly help your hitting or pitching abilities. These guys like Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens are still going to be great ballplayers, the steroids just help them get the most out of their abilities.

You can believe all that if it makes you feel better but it's complete BS. Look at the numbers before and after steroid testing. Now are you really going to try to tell me that steroids had a negligible effect on players and stats?

Are you not understanding me? The guys on steroids are able to workout more efficiently due to the steroids, so it in turn helps their ability. You can't just take steroids before the game and just go hit 4 homers. You have to work out, and the steroids help them. It's called Human Growth Hormone. It helps them grow.... It's not called Human hit better hormone.

I'm pretty much agreeing with you in that I also believe steroids helped these guys a get a :censored:load better... but you're saying that these guys don't even need to workout and they can just juice and automatically be better, which is just not correct.

Are you not understanding how drugs work? A baseball player does not need to "work out" in order to utilize the effects of steroids. The steroids aren't "activated" by some magic combination of weight lifting and a treadmill. Steroids are a drug. They work whether you "work out" or not. Your argument is like saying aspirin won't work unless you drink water with it. The drug works once it's ingested. So yes, you could take steroids and go hit four homers in a game a few days later. Steroids increase strength, energy, and endurance. How does any of that not improve a players performance?

As a former ballplayer myself, maybe I can illustrate what I mean. On the steroids I would have felt just as good in inning nine as I did before the game. So my fifth AB suddenly becomes a lot easier. Think that doesn't make a difference? It could mean one extra hit per game. At worst, it at least increases my chances to get that extra hit because I'm not tired, I'm sharper, and I'm stronger. One extra hit per week turns a .250 hitter into a .300 hitter.

I believe that, had I been playing at the time I was on the steroids, they would have easily been the difference between a 359 foot fly ball and a 360 foot home run. When you think of that in terms of my power only increasing by one foot, it doesn't seem like much. But that one extra foot can make all the difference. My point is that I did not need to work out for the steroids to increase my power hitting by a mere 12 inches. Yes, I still would have had to hit the pitch etc., but once I did, the steroids would have made a pretty significant difference. How many more HRs am I hitting if I get that extra foot on warning track fly balls? Even if it's just ten times in 500 ABs, I've gone from say 15 HRs to 25. Or from 51 to 61. And so on.

Would steroids have turned Omar Vizquel into a power hitter? Probably not. But they damn sure could have taken him from a .280 hitter to a .290-.300 hitter. I think a lot of people perceive steroids to be some magic elixir that turns a utility infielder into Barry Bonds. That's not the case. They do however create enough of an improvement to take Barry Bonds from 49 HRs to 73. Think about it, that's an extra 24 HRs for the season. That's 1 extra HR per week. Or one fly ball per week that traveled that extra foot I talked about earlier. It's only the difference between the single season home run record and just a really good season.

I'd concede your point if I was saying that taking steroids would change Funky Bunky from a kid with a silly screen name who's beginning to annoy the hell out of me into a .300 hitter. But that's not what I'm saying. You've "read about" steroids. I've actually taken them. I can assure you that I did not need to "work out" to see the results the steroids had. My strength, energy, and stamina all increased within a couple days of taking them. And it was not a modest increase. It was pretty significant. Why is it so hard for you to grasp the idea that the same thing would happen to a baseball player?

BB52Big.jpg

Are you not understanding how drugs work? A baseball player does not need to "work out" in order to utilize the effects of steroids. The steroids aren't "activated" by some magic combination of weight lifting and a treadmill. Steroids are a drug. They work whether you "work out" or not. Your argument is like saying aspirin won't work unless you drink water with it. The drug works once it's ingested. So yes, you could take steroids and go hit four homers in a game a few days later. Steroids increase strength, energy, and endurance. How does any of that not improve a players performance?

As a former ballplayer myself, maybe I can illustrate what I mean. On the steroids I would have felt just as good in inning nine as I did before the game. So my fifth AB suddenly becomes a lot easier. Think that doesn't make a difference? It could mean one extra hit per game. At worst, it at least increases my chances to get that extra hit because I'm not tired, I'm sharper, and I'm stronger. One extra hit per week turns a .250 hitter into a .300 hitter.

I believe that, had I been playing at the time I was on the steroids, they would have easily been the difference between a 359 foot fly ball and a 360 foot home run. When you think of that in terms of my power only increasing by one foot, it doesn't seem like much. But that one extra foot can make all the difference. My point is that I did not need to work out for the steroids to increase my power hitting by a mere 12 inches. Yes, I still would have had to hit the pitch etc., but once I did, the steroids would have made a pretty significant difference. How many more HRs am I hitting if I get that extra foot on warning track fly balls? Even if it's just ten times in 500 ABs, I've gone from say 15 HRs to 25. Or from 51 to 61. And so on.

Would steroids have turned Omar Vizquel into a power hitter? Probably not. But they damn sure could have taken him from a .280 hitter to a .290-.300 hitter. I think a lot of people perceive steroids to be some magic elixir that turns a utility infielder into Barry Bonds. That's not the case. They do however create enough of an improvement to take Barry Bonds from 49 HRs to 73. Think about it, that's an extra 24 HRs for the season. That's 1 extra HR per week. Or one fly ball per week that traveled that extra foot I talked about earlier. It's only the difference between the single season home run record and just a really good season.

I'd concede your point if I was saying that taking steroids would change Funky Bunky from a kid with a silly screen name who's beginning to annoy the hell out of me into a .300 hitter. But that's not what I'm saying. You've "read about" steroids. I've actually taken them. I can assure you that I did not need to "work out" to see the results the steroids had. My strength, energy, and stamina all increased within a couple days of taking them. And it was not a modest increase. It was pretty significant. Why is it so hard for you to grasp the idea that the same thing would happen to a baseball player?

The interesting thing about the whole Steroids Era and the testing since, is that a good majority of the players that have been tested and failed are pitcher and the "little" guys or speedsters. Most of the players cheating are the ones who are on edge of the majors or trying to stay there. I'm not saying that the stars didn't and aren't taking them, but what we've seen from the failed drug tests is that the edge guys are the ones taking performance enhancing drugs. Also I do agree with infrared's assessment of steroids and how they help performance. Steroids aren't used just for muscle bulk, which is counter-productive in a baseball swing, but for the recovery process. That's where to me it would be most helpful in a baseball season. If you can play that extra day as a regular fielder or pitch the next day as a reliever, that's where it's going to help.

That makes sense that you would have more energy during the game, but I'm kind of talking about something different, though. The point I was trying to make is that, let's say Joe Smith, who is kind of a weak middle infielder, wants to start hitting with more power. He'll have to actually workout to gain that hitting power. The steroids will definitely help him during the game by helping him maintain that energy level, but he's not just going to start hitting with power out of the blue. He'll have to workout to obtain that new power. What the steroids do is help you with energy. It could be energy while on the diamond (like you said), or it could also help him workout more often at the gym and get stronger faster.

The steroids can help Barry Bonds with his energy on the field and at the plate (which in turn helps him hit a few more), and the steroids can also help Joe Smith workout harder and more efficiently, to obtain that extra power to maybe hit a few more home runs.

I'm not saying it isn't going to help the power hitter hit maintain that power even during his fifth at-bat (because it will), I'm just saying that if you don't already have that power, the steroids aren't going to magically turn a weak guy into a strong guy, just like that! They'll help him maintain the power that he already has (and maybe help him use all of his power), but if he wants to get significantly stronger, he'll have to do more than just juice. Why would anybody workout if they can just take steroids and automatically become Arnold Schwarzenegger 2.0? That's what I've been trying to say.

Archived