2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Reds are nearing a long extension with Joey Votto, this likely means that Brandon Phillips will be in another uniform next season.

Where'd you hear that? I remember him saying that he's against those long-term deals because he can't imagine making that big and long of a commitment. That was just a few years ago after he signed his 3-year deal, so I doubt his stance has changed in just a few years.

Reds.com

Apparently it could be worth $200M. Don't get me wrong, I love Votto - he's a hometown player - but ~$20M a year for him?

Votto is one of the best hitters in the entire league. The bigger question is whether the Reds can feasibly afford such a hefty contract and still be able to flesh out the rest of their roster with enough talent to reach the playoffs. I personally thought the Reds were an enormous fluke in 2010, but keeping a top-5 hitter in the NL in Votto goes a long way towards giving them at least a chance at making an October push. I also loved the Mat Latos acquisition from San Diego, albeit at the cost of another big bat (but blocked by Votto) in Alonso.

spacer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus. Glad the Red Sox didn't spend the farm for him.

I remember Josh Beckett beaming a few Indians players in the '07 ALCS, namely Kenny Lofton.

But really the Rockies manager, can't even remember his name, said he's never seen this in 35 years? You manage baseball for 35 years and have never seen a batter hit by pitch? No sympathy for the Rockies from me. Shin Soo Choo missed most of last season after getting hit by a pitch. Sorry nothing from us...

Reds are nearing a long extension with Joey Votto, this likely means that Brandon Phillips will be in another uniform next season.

Where'd you hear that? I remember him saying that he's against those long-term deals because he can't imagine making that big and long of a commitment. That was just a few years ago after he signed his 3-year deal, so I doubt his stance has changed in just a few years.

Reds.com

Apparently it could be worth $200M. Don't get me wrong, I love Votto - he's a hometown player - but ~$20M a year for him?

If you compare it to what Pujols and Fielder just got the Reds probably got a bit of a bargain.

I would say Votto is a better overall player then Fielder is and at least on par with Pujols. His potential value is also at least equal if not better then the two.

If the Reds are really serious about winning they had to lock up Joey Votto long term. He's just one of those guys that you can't lose and somehow come out of it as a better baseball team either short or long term.

I remember Josh Beckett beaming a few Indians players in the '07 ALCS, namely Kenny Lofton.

But really the Rockies manager, can't even remember his name, said he's never seen this in 35 years? You manage baseball for 35 years and have never seen a batter hit by pitch? No sympathy for the Rockies from me. Shin Soo Choo missed most of last season after getting hit by a pitch. Sorry nothing from us...

I'm by no means a Beckett fan, certainly not anymore. He's a hothead, with a massive ego, who gave up in September. It'll take a great 2012 for me to get back into the Beckett camp.

spacer.png

I'm by no means a Beckett fan, certainly not anymore. He's a hothead, with a massive ego, who gave up in September. It'll take a great 2012 for me to get back into the Beckett camp.

Kenny Lofton acted like a punk all series. IIRC he deserved all the crap he got in 2007, I can't place exactly what he did or said but I know he wasn't a peach.

Beckett is going to have a sub-par year. Take a look at his numbers, he turns up the heat on odd numbered years and regresses on even numbered. Sounds like a faulty theory, but the numbers back it up - save for his win-loss record which has never been overtly impressive (except '07 and '09).

Hmm, I remember in the 07 ALCS Lofton and Beckett nearly going at it after Lofton threw his bat away on what he thought was ball four in game 5. When he lifted a fly ball, Beckett had words with him.

Then again in 2010, he hit Choo on the knee and another Indians player. Cleveland then retaliated by trying to hit both David Ortiz and Adrian Beltre, which led to the benches emptying.

All of that aside, I appreciate what Beckett did in 2007 and other solid seasons that he has turned in, but I don't like his attitude. I'm not a huge Bobby V fan, but those in the club house that aren't happy with him as manager need to suck it up. You're getting paid multi-million dollar salaries to play baseball, drop the bad attitude.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but Ubaldo Jiminez has gotten a 5 game suspension for hitting Tulowitzki.

Basically a slap on the wrist.

Five games for a pitcher is nothing. He'll probably appeal so he'll make opening day at least, but he's pretty much just looking at missing a few paychecks.

its that time again.

i put this every year.

Someone did basically an update of this, but using current Major Leaguers a couple of months back, only in text form, but still epic

Linkage

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

For the first time, I took a look at the Yankees schedule to open the season.

Holy :censored: ! Tampa, Texas, and Detroit were playoff teams last year, as well as three at Boston and three vs. Anaheim. That's the full AL playoff-hopeful slate in the first month, with the exception of the underrated Blue Jays. Seeing this, I would gladly take an 11-8 type record before the schedule (presumably) eases up. Yikes!

spacer.png

its that time again.

i put this every year.

Someone did basically an update of this, but using current Major Leaguers a couple of months back, only in text form, but still epic

Linkage

That was pretty creative to use today's players. I enjoyed that a lot.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

This contract extension with Joey Votto worries me. It's high risk because we don't know if he'll continue to produce at a high level (and odds are good that he doesn't), but even if he does, this ties up a lot of money with one player. Bob Castellini isn't afraid of spending money to win, but this is still a small market team and there's no way this doesn't hamper signing players in the future. Brandon Phillips is as good as gone.

I would've liked to see something more along the lines of 5 years, 100 million.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This contract extension with Joey Votto worries me. It's high risk because we don't know if he'll continue to produce at a high level (and odds are good that he doesn't), but even if he does, this ties up a lot of money with one player. Bob Castellini isn't afraid of spending money to win, but this is still a small market team and there's no way this doesn't hamper signing players in the future. Brandon Phillips is as good as gone.

I would've liked to see something more along the lines of 5 years, 100 million.

Is this Jay Bruce's break out year? Granted he hit 32/97/.256 which is nothing to sneeze at but this guy was projected for big things. He's only 25 and his stats have increased ever year, but do you think a 30/95/.260 is his plateau? I sure hope not, solely for my fantasy team. Does he have a chance at 40 this year?

On the subject of Votto, I've always been against giving long term deals to guys who can't DH. It ups the work load and a higher increase of injury as he ages. Good to see the Reds keeping their core though. Is keeping Phillips a major concern for you guys? I mean, the dude can definitely play but he'll be 32 half way through next season. I'm sure he'd command a 3-4 year deal, not something I'd jump at if I were the Reds.

But really the Rockies manager, can't even remember his name, said he's never seen this in 35 years? You manage baseball for 35 years and have never seen a batter hit by

pitch? No sympathy for the Rockies from me. Shin Soo Choo missed most of last season after getting hit by a pitch. Sorry nothing from us...

Jim Tracy hadn't seen something like that in Spring Training. It's :censored:ing Spring Training and Ubaldo's throwing at guys. Its not about getting beaned. He was pissed because Ubaldo's trying to make a statement by carrying out a grudge in :censored:ing Spring Training.

Choo got beaned in June. Not quite the same as getting thrown at by a disgruntled ex teammate in the Cactus League.

Take the rose colored glasses off, homeboy. Ubaldo's a worthless piece of crap.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I haven't looked at their schedules, but I assume this was the only time Ubaldo would see the Rockies this year

That doesn't excuse anything. He shouldn't have held a grudge for that long, let alone let it lose in a game that is meaningless.

spacer.png

Does that make Mark Melancon the closer?

Gee, good luck with that. And if he sucks, don't be surprised - he sucked with the Yankees, too.

Probably in the short term. I don't have high hopes for Melancon. I really think bringing Daniel Bard back to the closer spot and taking a gamble with one of the extra starters that the Sox signed, like say, Aaron Cook in the rotation, is the best possible move for now.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Archived