NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lawyer is invovled? Oh gosh, here comes the most honorable profession on earth to save the day.

Sigh, this world needs a makeover.

As do many teams in the league! (<--that was a segway back on topic, (bow) )

2ly2w09.jpg

What a joke. Just another example of the government being out of control (as Tim Thomas said)

1. The chamber of commerce is not the gubment.

2. If you don't protect your trademarks, you could lose them.

3. This stinks; that was a cool mask. I hope they don't want an outrageous licensing fee.

A lawyer is invovled? Oh gosh, here comes the most honorable profession on earth to save the day.

Sigh, this world needs a makeover.

As do many teams in the league! (<--that was a segway back on topic, (bow) )

POTD?

...I kid, lighten up

First off, the North Stars had mismatched jerseys from the 1980s on, and nobody complains about those.

Second, I think the mismatched Wild set speaks perfectly to the franchise, because each one tackles a different aspect of their image:

* The white is modern, like the Est.2000 team should be. Nobody can complain that this team is a new one trying to look old (like we do about Tampa Bay)

The white jersey is definitely the best of the three and the overall identity would improve ten fold if it had a matching Home counterpart. That being said I don't like how the made the shoulder stripes so thin. As with almost every jersey, the Pre-Edge version was better.

* The red is classic, like a Class of 1967 team, which reflects the NHL history of the area, but without referencing the Stars (yes, the pre-Edge was better)

The Pre-Edge version of the red jersey looked great... as an alternate. The problem with it being the primary is that restricts that awesome logo in a circle when there is no reason for it. If they used just the bear head, I could live with it as a home jersey.

* The green is vintage, like a 1900s team, the area had so much non-NHL hockey going back to the birth of the sport, this sweater looks like one of those, without being crazy (see: Flames Heritage Classic)

The green jersey would be fine if not for one glaring flaw. If you're trying to look like a 1900's team, why slap on a design feature that wasn't seen until 2007? I am of course talking about the phantom shoulder yoke. This jersey encapsulates everything that's wrong with the Wild identity. They can't decide if they wan't to go vintage or modern.

The Wild's current identity is a mess, the road sweaters are the only ones that have looked good since the Edge redesign. There was literally nothing wrong with this:

Wild01.png

Well the alternate logo was a little on the weak side, but I agree with the overall sentiment. That was a great looking set.

As weak as that was, it's better than the word-art that currently sits on the shoulders of their white jerseys.

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=fw4dvpekpdw7b6st29qqmgg0x

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Wild's current identity is a mess, the road sweaters are the only ones that have looked good since the Edge redesign. There was literally nothing wrong with this:

Wild01.png

Well the alternate logo was a little on the weak side, but I agree with the overall sentiment. That was a great looking set.

As weak as that was, it's better than the word-art that currently sits on the shoulders of their white jerseys.

They really haven't had very good secondary marks. Someone on this board made a gorgeous shoulder logo for the Wild a while ago. It was the state of Minnesota that, if I recall correctly, included a similar theme to the primary logo, as well as a "MW" incorporated in there somewhere.

It was just a good looking logo, and would have been perfect for a shoulder logo. I know I had it saved on my old computer, but that guy is completely burnt out so I no longer have it.

qvAvG.jpg

I remember when the concepts for the Wild's red third initially leaked, they were considering a shoulder patch that was the state of Minnesota with an "M", and the "W" beneath it, styled as if it were the M's reflection in water. I was looking forward to that, since the Wild's secondary logos have always been awful. But then the red third came out with no shoulder patches at all.

EDIT - Like this:

/\/\

\/\/

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7717928/surviving-apocalpyse-best-unis-hockey-more-week-bake-shop

By Katie Baker on March 22, 2012

How about some hockey aesthetics. Is it just me or are Nashville's new yellow home sweaters pretty great? Yellow is risky for a primary jersey color, but I think they pull it off and might even slip into my top five home jerseys:

1. Chicago's Reds (Probably the best in sports)

2. Montreal

3. Rangers (Think about it, the greatest moment in US hockey history happened in jerseys mirrored from Rangers' jerseys)

4. Nashville

5. Boston

Notice that all of these aside from the Preds' are Original 6, there's a reason for that.

? Kirk M.

I'm a little scared to address this question because I've seen some of the epic flame wars that even an innocent "Hey, cool jerseys!" can spark. Hockey fans, more so than devotees of any other sport (with the possible exception of soccer), have very strong opinions about what their teams wear. Given some of the sweaters that have been foisted on an innocent public in years past ? see here, here, here, and especially the comments section here ? the level of emotion isn't surprising.

The Nashville Predators' yellow jersey is one of the more divisive in hockey, but I love it. I think the yellow looks great on TV, and I appreciate the locally inspired but not totally over-the-top details like the guitar strings on the numbers and the picks on the shoulders and the hidden piano keys on the inside of the neck. It's one small step up from the perfectly fine but utterly forgettable previous sweaters, and it's one giant leap forward from the last time Nashville tried to do yellow.

If I were going to do a top five favorite current home uniforms, though, I think it would be ?

5. Edmonton Oilers. (Once iconic; now perhaps soon to be worn by a third-straight no. 1 draft pick. Also, I could not disagree more with Greg Wyshynski regarding this erstwhile Oilers creation.)

4. Tampa Bay Lightning. (This will piss off Toronto Maple Leafs fans, as the Lightning pretty much ripped off their look, but the lightning bolt on the pants gives them the edge. How bad are those "BOLTS" third jerseys, though?)

3. Philadelphia Flyers. (Pains me to say it.)

2. New York Rangers. (OK, now I feel better.)

1. Anaheim Ducks. (Just kidding ? good god, those are awful. Bring back the Wild Wing!)

1. Detroit Red Wings (I love them with the red pants, it's fittingly Soviet.)

If you like this sort of thing, check out the NHL Uniform Database and Hockey By Design for more on sweaters and logos. The one thing currently missing from the NHL, really, is a team clad in some good old college-style Kelly green. Miss you, pre-1992 Hartford Whalers. Miss you every day.

I remember when the concepts for the Wild's red third initially leaked, they were considering a shoulder patch that was the state of Minnesota with an "M", and the "W" beneath it, styled as if it were the M's reflection in water. I was looking forward to that, since the Wild's secondary logos have always been awful. But then the red third came out with no shoulder patches at all.

EDIT - Like this:

/\/\

\/\/

Maybe this is what I'm thinking of... Gah, I wish I could find that!

qvAvG.jpg

Wild01.png

I really don't care for the Wild's look. So 1990s, so, well, so Sonics. Should be old school, traditional, not dated trendy.

f9lu3guuebe4meflh5ei72vpg.gif

If Nashville got rid of the Bettman piping, put the shoulder patch on both shoulders, and removed those blue things underneath where the shoulder yoke would be, their home would be one of the league's best.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Came across this today. Would have been fantastic as an Isles shoulder patch.

img00069201006101018.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

EDIT - Like this:

/\/\

\/\/

Maybe this is what I'm thinking of... Gah, I wish I could find that!

Something like this?

VancouverWhitecapslogo.jpg

EDIT - Like this:

/\/\

\/\/

This?

AllWild.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Came across this today. Would have been fantastic as an Isles shoulder patch.

img00069201006101018.jpg

Curious how that logo would look as the main crest for the Islanders jersey?? somsone ought to mock up one and display in here if so.. I think that logo might be a good idea somehow...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived