New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

On 3/30/2012 at 6:23 PM, nash61 said:

RIP

Yes...that's too bad.

Also, I DON'T want to see any teams change names.

New Orleans Hornets is fine. Their history in Charlotte is not that long. Plus the Fleur de bee.

Charlotte Bobcats. Uninspired name, but so be it. It's not a terrible name.

Franchise confusion sucks. A three way trade among Utah, New Orleans and Charlotte would be a friggin mess. Leave 'em be.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Hornets fan since 1991, I'm dead against a rebranding. Half the team names in the league make no sense anyway, and sending the Hornets name back to Charlotte will just confuse things further. I mean, I don't want to be cheering on the New Orleans Krewe (or whatever they decide on) as they play the Charlotte Hornets... I'd rather the Hornets name is just retired permanently.

I like the name New Orleans Hornets. I see no reason to change it. They have one of the most unique and coolest indendities and color schemes of all 120+ teams in professional North American sports. Sure, names like Jazz or some other name would make more sense if you over analyze it, which is what we do on here, but most fans don't think about this stuff to the extent that we do here. To rebrand now doesnt make sense. If a team really wants to rebrand, they should do it in year one of their move to a new city like the OKC Thunder did. Once you play one year with a name, youre already building a brand identity and people become familiar and comfortable with that name regardless of whether it actually fits or makes sense. Even the most ridiculous names, like Utah Jazz, start to make sense over time simply because fans become used to it and it's instilled in our brains as normal.

Also the idea that teams like Bobcats, Hornets, and Jazz should swap names just to make more sense would cause so much confusion. Which team would claim the records and history of which team? Would Karl Malone belong to the records of the Utah Bobcats or the new New Orleans Jazz? Or would it be like when the Cleveland Browns reclaimed their history and the Baltimore Ravens became the equivalent of an expansion team with no history or records a few years later, even though they never were an expansion team to begin with?

Lots of things in this world make no sense if you overanalyze them, and swapping NBA names for no reason would create confusion, confusion, and more confusion.

Go old-CFL-style and let Charlotte and New Orleans have the same nickname. One can be the Hornets and the other the Hor Nets :)

I mean, the SEC is about to add a third team nicknamed Tigers, so how outlandish can this theory be?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Normally I'd agree with those wanting to leave the Jazz name out of this. But keeping that name after the move was ludicrous. Jazz is among the most appropriate names for an N.O. team and the most ridiculously inappropriate names for a Utah team. Might as well move the Dolphins to Omaha and keep the name.

Bring back the Jazz!

5776.gif

Years ago (nineteen-dickety or so, admiral :P ), the Jazz's old offices still had a purple carpet with the Jazz logo in it just inside the door. Knowing the way things are done in New Orleans, that carpet probably didn't come off the floor until the post-Katrina renovations. A few more years and it might have been apropos again. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Normally I'd agree with those wanting to leave the Jazz name out of this. But keeping that name after the move was ludicrous. Jazz is among the most appropriate names for an N.O. team and the most ridiculously inappropriate names for a Utah team. Might as well move the Dolphins to Omaha and keep the name.

Bring back the Jazz!

5776.gif

Years ago (nineteen-dickety or so, admiral :P ), the Jazz's old offices still had a purple carpet with the Jazz logo in it just inside the door. Knowing the way things are done in New Orleans, that carpet probably didn't come off the floor until the post-Katrina renovations. A few more years and it might have been apropos again. :D

No. They are the Utah Jazz. So what if the name isn't politically correct. Are you going to have the Lakers and Timberwolves switch names? The Jazz have been in Utah for what, 30 years? A lot of history has been accumulated. Malone, Stockton, years of playoff trips, 2 straight finals appearances (both of which they would have won if Jordan had stayed retired).

sig.png

beat me to it.

Damn all the name-trading...how 'bout someone give Seattle their team back...

:P

Maybe they are thinking of changing the New Orleans Hornets to Seattle Supersonics.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

For the people that want the Hornets to move they're not. There is a long term deal with the state in place and a gowing season ticket base in lieu of a baaaddd season. Locals want a change. Hornets belong to Charlotte and we New Orleanians are an eclectic bunch who want our own identity. Some of the names being kicked around are Krewe, Brass, Pelicans.....I like Krewe myself. Would love Jazz back but that ship has sailed and Utah owns that identity...

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

I do NOT think that the Jazz name should leave Utah. However, in this fantasy/make-believe/dreaming 3-way deal if "Hornets" were to go to Utah that'd be fine because Utah is the...Beehive State.

Of course if you did that it'd really be a 2-team swap w/ New Orleans and Utah and you'd still have the Bobcats in Charlotte, but nobody cares about them anyway.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

...or they could do the logical thing and wipe the Bobcats franchise from the face of the earth and be done with it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That was my idea. Well, merge it with the re-relocating Hornets, since in terms of staff, pooling the two shoestring operations might actually add up to a complete NBA team. Not much to salvage from the Bobcats roster. Then restart the Supersonics with a proper expansion draft, since even starting at square one like that is preferable to outright inheriting the poor-ass Bobcats.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've just gotta, and then we can drop this:

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Grizzlies

Memphis Bobcats

I don't like this whole 3 way ( or in this case 4 way trade ) but this may have a leg to stand on.

Just how short of a time the Jazz spend in NO In the first place compared to Salt Lake , & lthe Hornets also they should have left there name in there founding city and allowed the franchise to be rebranded And a fresh start thats more localized aka Baltimore Ravens .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived