Breakdown of Seattle Seahawks New Uniforms

CDixonDesign

It seems like the players are envious of the new look Seahawks. Check out this article.

Thing is, this isn't the NCAA. Nike can't play the "look how popular this is!" card in the NFL. No professional football player's letting a uniform decide where he signs, and owners aren't just going to let Nike walk in and redesign everything for shiggles.

I know that the uniforms will not help in signing players, but I think that it makes a strong statement when players from teams like Buffalo, Cleveland and Tampa Bay are wishing their teams made drastic changes. Even this evening on NFL LIVE, Detmer stated that teams like Cleveland need to follow in Seattle's footstep and come out with a modern design.

Except they won't. Since no player is going to base his livelihood on a uniform design then there's no pressure on the teams' parts to change their looks. Again, this isn't the NCAA.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like the players are envious of the new look Seahawks. Check out this article.

Thing is, this isn't the NCAA. Nike can't play the "look how popular this is!" card in the NFL. No professional football player's letting a uniform decide where he signs, and owners aren't just going to let Nike walk in and redesign everything for shiggles.

I know that the uniforms will not help in signing players, but I think that it makes a strong statement when players from teams like Buffalo, Cleveland and Tampa Bay are wishing their teams made drastic changes. Even this evening on NFL LIVE, Detmer stated that teams like Cleveland need to follow in Seattle's footstep and come out with a modern design.

And when those players start writing the paychecks, they can then dictate what their uniforms look like.

Hell, many of us grunts have been clamoring for Uncle Sam to ditch the velcro hook & pile and nubuck boots for years?big Army still ain't done it, and don't look to be doing it anytime soon.

Same thing.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

These uniforms are going to look terribly dated in a few years when Nike rolls out the "next best uniform system with .2% better moisture wicking material and studies demonstrating an increase in performance, agility, strength, etc." I also HATE how the Nike logo seems like the main focus on the sleeves. Such a shame too, I really thought Nike would be a little more restrained with their designs but I was obviously wrong. This is coming from someone who despised what Reebok did to the NFL and especially the NHL so I thought anybody would be an improvement over Reebok. I have a feeling though that casual fans are going to eat these designs up.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I love the new uniforms. There really isn't anything that bothers me, for example the Bengals' giant side panels and the Bills CFL mismatched side panels are the only things in any NFL uniform that has bothered me in the past.

But, I'm a traditionalist. I think the Chiefs have the best uniform in the NFL.

Yet...I can't convince myself I won't like these uniforms.

New right-side helmet graphic:

SeattleSeahawks_HRS01a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

Interesting that the NFL still uses this helmet template when most uniform presentations display the Revo Speed template.

The logo's angle is much different than the previous versions, correct? Used to be more horizontal...

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I don't like the helmet stripe, the silver numbers and am not thrilled with the word mark location but otherwise I think it looks really good. I lean more towards traditionalism but these look great and creative imo!

niagaraq.png

And yet Buffalo signs what could be the highest-profile defensive free agent out there.

Are you talking about Ty Detmer? Who the hell really cares what he has to say? He played for them for what, about twenty minutes a decade ago?

Players are with an organization for an average of 3 seasons. They really shouldn't be expected to have a franchise's long-term aesthetic heritage in mind. As a group, they are the wrong ones to be entrusted with a team's legacy.

Very rough and quick, but here's a visual mockup of what I humbly think Seattle should have done (jersey and pants - I like the helmet as-is).

Seahawksvisual.png

As the new set lacks a real unifying element, I feel that the set looks very disjointed. Basically, I think the best route would have been to take the great, unique pants stripe design and place it on the sleeves and collar to unify the look. Also, no wordmark to be found in a random place. I think this would have given Seattle that unique, bold, modern look they were going for without looking like the front cover of a children's Mix-n'-Match Astronaut Fun book.

And I post this not looking for "concept section comments" - just wanted to give a visual representation of what I was thinking.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Except they won't. Since no player is going to base his livelihood on a uniform design then there's no pressure on the teams' parts to change their looks. Again, this isn't the NCAA.

Did you even read my post. I stated the uniforms will not help in signing player. All I was saying was that players like the modern designs and that analysts like changes to uniforms. Mainly what I was saying was that I agreed with you and I never said it was the NCAA but somehow you always turn someone supporting your comment into an argument. Maybe you should be a lawyer because you are great at changing the topic around to your liking.

spacer.png

There is a lot I don't like about these uniforms, but the biggest thing is that they took a team with a unique color as the dominant color and replaced it with yet another team wearing navy blue. There is already too much navy blue in the NFL. The Seahawks and seahawk gear was once immediately recognizable for the lighter Pacific blue color, now they are just another team wearing navy.

Major downgrade. I am going to have to get me a minihelmet and Reebok jersey.

And in general I think what Nike has done with team collars is an abomination.

Everything looks great except the gray jersey. The gray pants will look great with the navy home jersey, and possibly with the white roadie. Love the feather design, definitely gives the new unis a sense of locality for the 'Hawks. I honestly have to say that these exceeded my expectations. Was hoping for a silver helmet, but the set as a whole is actually pretty strong IMO.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

All I was saying was that players like the modern designs and that analysts like changes to uniforms.

I think we understand that.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out why we should care.

I guess it is just me, but I like to hear what different types of people say about uniform designs. Even if I disagree with them, I find it interesting to know that not all people are negative about change as most of the people of this board. So I thought I would share what others were saying.

spacer.png

I don't totally hate these. I mean, I was expecting something gaudy since it is Nike we're talking about and we were already told that the redesign would be significant, but I was expecting something worse than this. Could they be better? Sure, but they could be a whole lot worse too.

I just hope that when Nike changes other teams in the future, they show the proper restraint. This isn't college football.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived