The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Detroit Red Wings are the first team sent golfing.

Last time they lost in the first round was 2006 to the Oilers in 6 games, but the last time the Red Wings were the very first team eliminated was in 2003 when the reigning Stanley Cup Champs were swept by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

LATER DETROIT!

And interestingly, both Anaheim and Edmonton ended up winning the West those years...

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

A few interesting notes from the Predators/Wings series.

I. The team with the least amount of shots, won 4 of the 5 games

II. The team that scored first won every game

III. There was not a lead change in any of the 5 games

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The Detroit Red Wings are the first team sent golfing.

Last time they lost in the first round was 2006 to the Oilers in 6 games, but the last time the Red Wings were the very first team eliminated was in 2003 when the reigning Stanley Cup Champs were swept by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

LATER DETROIT!

And interestingly, both Anaheim and Edmonton ended up winning the West those years...

Yup. So did the Flames in 2004 and the Ducks again in 2007. The only team to beat Detroit and not win the West in the past 10 years was the Sharks these last two years beating Detroit in Round 2 and losing to Chicago and Vancouver.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

:censored: Detroit lost.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, and as much as I hate the Wings, I can't call a team that won the Cup just 4 years ago, went to a second 7-game final after that, and has won 4 Cups in the past 15 years as choke artists. They're hardly the Sharks or Capitals.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Gotta love the "you suck" during the post-game festivities.

Because chanting it after goals isn't dumb enough.

They're having fun. Yeah, it probably lacks class, but it's all in good fun.

All the Nashville chants were basically copied from college hockey, no big deal

1zgyd8w.jpg

Congrats Preds. Hard to beat a team with a great goalie and never makes mistakes. Wings played well and probably outplayed the Preds in three of the games, but when they made mistakes the Preds capitalized. They're going to be a tough out if they continue to play that way.

Don't think the Wings are done though. They had around 10M in empty cap space this year. They'll have a ton of cap space and will add one or two real big pieces next year (depending on if Nick comes back) while losing some older legs (Holmstrom, Stuart, Cleary, maybe Hudler). There definitely should be some shakeups for next season.

That isn't outplaying your opponent.

A few interesting notes from the Predators/Wings series.

I. The team with the least amount of shots, won 4 of the 5 games

II. The team that scored first won every game

III. There was not a lead change in any of the 5 games

Those are pretty disturbing notes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

:censored: Detroit lost.

You're not happy about this? Given the Blues' playoff history vs the Wings, I'm very happy.

I'd rather face Detroit than Nashville this season. History can change, especially since nobody on the Blues is left from the era of playoff exits against the Red Wings.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Go Nashville! I'm happy they won and I hope this is the start of a long run. Why all the hate on Detroit?

I'm all for rooting ageist the 'Hawks when they're playing a Canadian team, but they're playing the fricken Coyotes. A team whose existence is at the heart of of the NHL's "let's ignore Canada so we can try to make hockey work where it's not going to" strategy.

Precisely why I want them and Florida to fall flat on their faces (also because the latter has no right to be where they are).

Prediction time: If the Flyers don't close out this series in Philly, the Pens will win the series in seven.

+1

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Congrats Preds. Hard to beat a team with a great goalie and never makes mistakes. Wings played well and probably outplayed the Preds in three of the games, but when they made mistakes the Preds capitalized. They're going to be a tough out if they continue to play that way.

Don't think the Wings are done though. They had around 10M in empty cap space this year. They'll have a ton of cap space and will add one or two real big pieces next year (depending on if Nick comes back) while losing some older legs (Holmstrom, Stuart, Cleary, maybe Hudler). There definitely should be some shakeups for next season.

That isn't outplaying your opponent.

Not usually, but in this case its true. You do realize team can outplay their opponent for most of the game, make one or two boneheaded mistakes or bad bounces and lose 2-1 or 3-2?

The bottom line is that the better team won. But even Preds fans would admit that the Wings carried the play in Games 1, 3, and 4.

Archived