Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This chaos-laden free agency would really ruin hockey for me, in some aspects. Knowing half the Blackhawks roster, if not outright all of it, would go to whatever teams, would feel so cheap and unfair. Should FAA (free agency armageddon) reign and the league reform haggardly afterwards, the cup wouldn't leave Canada for 20 years.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This chaos-laden free agency would really ruin hockey for me, in some aspects. Knowing half the Blackhawks roster, if not outright all of it, would go to whatever teams, would feel so cheap and unfair. Should FAA (free agency armageddon) reign and the league reform haggardly afterwards, the cup wouldn't leave Canada for 20 years.

I'd imagine a lot of the players will just stick with their current team out of good ol' Canadian boy loyalty. I don't actually see Crosby leaving the Pens, etc.

The post-FAA NHL map would be very similar to the hospitable planet after the events of the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Anything south of Denver is uninhabitable.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The post-FAA NHL map would be very similar to the hospitable planet after the events of the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Anything south of Denver is uninhabitable.

That made me laugh. Seriously though, it would screw things up, but guys still want to get paid. You might see several guys give up some money to play for a superstar team, but if the choice is $500,000 a year with Montreal or $5 million with Florida, I think a good number would pick the latter.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

http://www.sbnation....canceled-season

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly stated in a radio interview on Sportsnet 590's "Hockey Central at Noon" that the league has a drop-dead date for canceling the entirety of the 2012-13 season, sometime around mid-January.

Looks like we have a date....

My money is on January 12 being the drop dead date.

I see your date and I will go with January 17 as the be-all and end-all.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly stated in a radio interview on Sportsnet 590's "Hockey Central at Noon" that the league has a drop-dead date for canceling the entirety of the 2012-13 season, sometime around mid-January.

Crap I was looking at a Dec calendar when I chose the 12th. I actually like your date, they've been doing most things on a Tues or Thurs it seems.

Crap I was looking at a Dec calendar when I chose the 12th. I actually like your date, they've been doing most things on a Tues or Thurs it seems.

Y'all forget one thing...

...gotta make it past tomorrow first. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That made me laugh. Seriously though, it would screw things up, but guys still want to get paid. You might see several guys give up some money to play for a superstar team, but if the choice is $500,000 a year with Montreal or $5 million with Florida, I think a good number would pick the latter.

True, but his point is that, long term, the southern markets won't be able to pay superstars $5 million at the rate the profitable northern markets will be able to.

True, but his point is that, long term, the southern markets won't be able to pay superstars $5 million at the rate the profitable northern markets will be able to.

As a non-hockey fan I have always been surprised at locations of some NHL teams and wondered how in the blue hell are these teams even alive. Especially considering some good locations for teams in both Canada and US.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Y'all forget one thing...

...gotta make it past tomorrow first. :P

Also we lacked a crucial piece of info. They've now cancelled all games through Jan 14. Which is probably the last of these incremental cancellations since it takes us right to mid-Jan. So one would assume they'd cancel the rest of the season before the 14th. We're approximately 3 weeks from the drop dead date. Can't wait to watch the NHL hang itself with the same morbid curiosity that would lead someone to watch a train wreck.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8767262/nhl-cancels-additional-games-jan-14

After the roller coaster we've been on with this, I don't even care if they play a short season or not.

At least with the NBA/NFL lockouts, once they got close to a deal they made a deal pretty quick. The NHL has been "close" at least three times.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think there have been more games lost to lockouts than there have been Nashville Predators games. Someone wanna do the math on this?

If my math is sound, assuming a second season is fully lost, that would be a total of 2,460 regular season games lost. (I believe there's 1,230 regular season games contested in a full 82-game NHL schedule.)

So yeah, it would take the Predators 15 years to play 1,230 games, and if you're counting both lockouts....any franchise that hasn't been around for 30 or more years would fall short of the 2,460 mark.

Archived