Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

I have thought, since the 04-05 lockout, that a largely Canadian-based top-level league would have no trouble finding its way if the NHL were not playing.

I don't see why any group of Canada's super-rich has not figured this out yet and made the attempt at it.

So, you feel like you didn't get adequately ridiculed for this abysmally stupid idea the last time, eh?

I wouldn't be fronting the cash for it, so it's not my loss if the idea is 'abysmally stupid'. I think it's worth a shot - even if the league goes the way of the WHA. The way the NHL impasse seems to be going, I would love to see some people give this idea a legitimate effort.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cookie of the day also goes to TSN's Bob McKenzie for his twitter smackdown of fairweather hockey "fan" Bill Simmons. The guy who gave up on the Bruins forever (until they won the Cup) and then started following the Kings because of the NBA lockout, only to forget about them once the NBA came back until, surprise, the Kings won the Cup

Bill Simmons tweeted "Sad we have to go to a Canadian website to read any meaty articles about the NHL talks collapsing.". And then was reminded by a couple hundred smartasses like myself that he runs an American sports website who could post as many meaty articles about the NHL talks collapsing as he wanted.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Cookie of the day also goes to TSN's Bob McKenzie for his twitter smackdown of fairweather hockey "fan" Bill Simmons. The guy who gave up on the Bruins forever (until they won the Cup) and then started following the Kings because of the NBA lockout, only to forget about them once the NBA came back until, surprise, the Kings won the Cup

Where are you seeing this "smackdown"? I'm not seeing it on either of their official accounts (@TSNBobMcKenzie @BillSimmons)

Only thing I see are these two tweets on Simmons' account:

"Sad we have to go to a Canadian website to read any meaty articles about the NHL talks collapsing. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411086 "

"We had a huge NHL column today + more tomorrow. RT @Lackey13: It's not like you're the editor-in-chief of a sports website or anything."

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I think Simmons is a moron, and worse yet a bad writer. But I don't think he's at fault for either the sorry state of his industry or for pointing it out.

What's odd to me is that he didn't use his "no meaty stories" tweet to push his own site. Miss an opportunity for self-promotion? He must not be feeling well. :P

Let's not forget that while Simmons is a tool, he is also only one man and he isn't in charge of ESPN.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Absolutely. While organizations like Yahoo Sports may not have quite as much of a problem as ESPN does, let's not kid ourselves by thinking they're any less driven by money. The sports media as a whole is corrupt because they need money to operate so obviously they kowtow to whatever forces will make them the most money, and they put the idiots who will create the most ratings and/or controversy on air (I'm looking at you, Bayless) to drive viewership up, all in the pursuit of money.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I cannot be the only one here possibly fearing the worst case scenario here: Another season down the drain because of a lockout.

You have to think that after three lockouts, with the last two taking out an entire season, there has to be a new man in charge of the NHL. Bettman has to go... Now, whether the owners will go for that is something that remains to be seen.

You're fearing losing the whole season? Why?

At this point I think it's the best thing that could happen to the NHL. They'll lose millions, lose market share to the other sports. Lose fans. Potentially lose teams in weak markets like Phoenix that shouldn't exist to begin with. Basically they'll just lose, and by doing so they'll finally learn their damn lesson and not do dumb :censored: like this again.

It worked for baseball and they're now the most stable of all the major sports.

It is because the NHL has been poorly lead for a long time. Blame all the small markets you want but hockey struggles everywhere. Take a poll in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Philly, and so on. Ask them what their favorite team is. I bet the NHL finishes last. I bet if the NHL folded you would only get pockets of anger. Take away the Yankees, Mets, Bears, Cubs, Eagles. Steelers, Bulls, Giants, Jets and so on. Riots would happen. I love Hockey but the leaders of the NHL are blowing it big time. Has been for awhile.

Why, you ask? They've already scrapped the Winter Classic and the All Star Game. We're nearly halfway through December and neither side even wants to talk.

It's like 2004 again. They're blowing this sky high because neither side gives a damn and that makes the fans the biggest losers in this.

He was being sarcastic.

Welcome to the thread! Where we've been fearing, predicting, and bitching about losing the season for months now, but nice of you to help!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Why, you ask? They've already scrapped the Winter Classic and the All Star Game. We're nearly halfway through December and neither side even wants to talk.

It's like 2004 again. They're blowing this sky high because neither side gives a damn and that makes the fans the biggest losers in this.

No, no, no.

The players are trying to talk but the owners are stonewalling and backtracking on their established offers.

One side wants to get this settled. Save your ire for those who actually deserve it.

Word is that games through December 30th get scrubbed today. As our Benevolent Overlord points out, that means we still technically have a 2012-13 season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Word is that games through December 30th get scrubbed today. As our Benevolent Overlord points out, that means we still technically have a 2012-13 season.

Meanwhile ESPN seems optimistic they'll solve it this week, even though they can't even agree to meet this week.

Meanwhile ESPN seems optimistic they'll solve it this week, even though they can't even agree to meet this week.

ESPN's knowledge of hockey in a nutshell.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

ESPN's knowledge of hockey in a nutshell.

Let me add to your thought. They think Barry Melrose knows what he is talking about.

Archived