Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

I would like to get in a room with both sides in there, - holy cow, let's put it in an arena and get all the players and owners in there - so I can ask one simple question. "How exaclty do you think this lockout and your idealistic practices and losing half a season or a full season again, helping the game become better? If it's not, you both need new leaders and people in there with brains."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And again, I feel compelled to point out that this isn't a problem of them "both" at all.

The players want to strike a deal to salvage the season, whereas the owners don't seem to care about the season as long as they can damage the union in the process.

Both sides are not to blame for the fact we have a lockout at all, nor are both sides to blame for the fact it's still ongoing.

Exactly. The players have capitulated and conceded on all important fronts, to a point where a deal should easily be achieved. But because they're not willing to just roll over like dogs, and because Donald Fehr is a meany-face who won't go full-Eagleson on the workers he represents, the laborsmashers at Proskauer Rose have advised their clients to just shut it all down until the players' puck itch makes them overthrow Fehr and neuter the union forever.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

bill-daly-bob-batterman-feature.jpg

oh hi i upgraded your bettman

Oh, and if you had any lingering doubts about whether this was a planned demonization of organized labor by interests far more powerful than a cartel of arena promoters, Proskauer Rose just got caught plagiarizing itself by using nearly the same verbiage from the suit against the basketball players' union.

The class action complaint for declaratory relief was, like the NBA’s, filed in the southern district court of New York. Like the NBA’s, lawyers from the firms of Proskauer Rose and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom were listed at the bottom. But the similarities went much further.

In fact, huge stretches of the two documents were nearly identical. Five of the NHL’s seven claims for relief were lifted directly from the NBA’s complaint. The same arguments were made, the same language was used; some paragraphs could have been word-for-word quotations. Every single non-NBA specific argument made in that league’s complaint was duplicated in the NHL’s version.

But remember, both sides are equally to blame!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In the Ottawa Sun, Bruce Garrioch writes about the stipulation that the NHL put into their complaint about how all players under standard player contracts would be voided if the NHL wins with it’s disclaimer of interest.

Garrioch spoke with someone on the players side who said that the NHL may want to think twice about that idea since many teams probably don’t want their best players, who are under contract, to hit the open market.

The source told Garrioch, “A word of caution to the NHL, be very careful what you wish for.”

In the NY Post, Larry Brooks writes “And wouldn’t it just be grand if, under universal free agency, not a single player would choose to sign with Jeremy Jacobs’ Bruins?”

http://snyrangersblo...-on-the-owners/

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Universal free agency, infinitesimally likely as it is, scares the crap out of me. It wouldn't be great for the players, either, as that floods the market and drives down demand (Marvin Miller figured this out early on, and Fehr is a direct continuation of Miller). What I would like to see is a good long while of free agents spurning Boston, and NTCs that specifically preclude trades to Boston. Wouldn't necessarily be collusion if players all Just So Happen to get the same idea!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Universal free agency, infinitesimally likely as it is, scares the crap out of me. It wouldn't be great for the players, either, as that floods the market and drives down demand (Marvin Miller figured this out early on, and Fehr is a direct continuation of Miller). What I would like to see is a good long while of free agents spurning Boston, and NTCs that specifically preclude trades to Boston. Wouldn't necessarily be collusion if players all Just So Happen to get the same idea!

You read my mind. I love it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/12/19/3785444/nhl-lockout-2012-drop-dead-date-canceled-season

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly stated in a radio interview on Sportsnet 590's "Hockey Central at Noon" that the league has a drop-dead date for canceling the entirety of the 2012-13 season, sometime around mid-January.

Looks like we have a date....

baltimoreravens.png

I wish they'd just give up the waiting game and end it now. There's no chance they get a deal done.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

http://www.sbnation....canceled-season

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly stated in a radio interview on Sportsnet 590's "Hockey Central at Noon" that the league has a drop-dead date for canceling the entirety of the 2012-13 season, sometime around mid-January.

Looks like we have a date....

My money is on January 12 being the drop dead date.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/12/19/3785444/nhl-lockout-2012-drop-dead-date-canceled-season

I'll find it funny if the two sides agree on a deal in late Jan or early Feb...and we're all still stuck on no hockey after the Super Bowl because of this now-known drop date.

Archived