Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lightning gave up picks 37 and 50 for a backup goalie and an indistinguishable Predator forward. Not what I would've done with a weak farm system, but I'm not the great Steve Yzerman.

Their AHL affiliate just won the Calder Cup in dominating fashion, their farm system is GREAT!

Thats sarcasm.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Nashville has traded Anders Lindback, Kyle Wilson, and a 7th (2012) to the Tampa Bay Lightning for two 2nds (2012), a 3rd (2013), and Sebastien Caron.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398464

I like the trade for the Bolts. Interested in seeing how well Lindback performs this upcoming season. Still, think Tampa Bay should at some point in the draft, pick up a goalie to develop. Malcolm Subban is a name that jumps to mind right away. He'd be someone I could see them taking but I don't think they would use their first round pick on a goalie. I could be wrong.

Well Tampa has 2 first rounders this year so they could use the second one on Subban. In regards to the Leafs, as much as I hate them I would like to see them become competitive again (just so I can see the Sens beat them in the playoffs at least once in my life). If Jordan Staal is available Burke needs to be all over it. He's good enough to be a first line center and would improve their terrible penalty kill. I hate on the Leafs a lot but Staal, Kessel, and Lupul would be pretty lethal.

Except the part where they are in the East Coast Hockey League.

The ECHL dropped the "east coast" thing a long time ago, officially the letters haven't stood for anything in years

Weren't the San Diego Gulls in the ECHL at some point?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The ECHL dropped the "east coast" thing a long time ago, officially the letters haven't stood for anything in years

Weren't the San Diego Gulls in the ECHL at some point?

Shouldn't you know that? I thought you're from San Diego. :P

Especially when you have a team from Alaska.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

There's rumors that Kane has walked out on $1500 restaurant tabs and getting into a bar fight (and suffering a concussion due to said fight).

Yeah, I read about that fight he got into with Chris Brown.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Flames are going to have to cut a major contract off this year.

It's not going to be Iginla.

That leaves Jay Bouwmeester and Miikka Kiprusoff.

Well Bouwmeester isn't quite earning his 6.8 million or whatever, he is still a tremendous defenseman, and would automatically improve a contenders top four, and he still has that offensive mindset, just been bit by some bad luck his 3 seasons here.

As for Kiprusoff. You see what he does here, with a mediocre squad in front of him. Put him in front of a team that can win, and you may have just bought your final piece to a Stanley Cup puzzle.

I doubt it'll be Kipper traded on Friday or whenever, it'll most likely be Jay.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Bouwmeester is the worst of the three, though. You can move him to Dallas or Long Island or another team that needs to hit the floor, but you're not going to get quality assets back, just cap relief, ensuring that Calgary, ironically, has nothing in its pipeline. Kiprusoff will get you something from someone, but you wouldn't get anything from me, because he's going into his age 36 season with a lot of hard miles on him and it'd be highly risky not to hedge that acquisition with a #1A-calibre backup (a Josh Harding type), in which case I might just be better off keeping what I'd have sent back and making a go of it with the #1A. Iginla makes the most sense, but the Flames won't do it because the Flames are dumb.

Columbus fans, if Nash gets you JVR, BOB, 2 picks and cash, is that a good deal?

Nope. Bob's not a starting goalie, JVR hasn't played near the potential he supposedly has, and picks mean nothing what with our awful scouting department. We need a huge haul for Nash, not a backup goalie and three maybe-but-probably-nots

Manchester-City-icon.png

Columbus fans, if Nash gets you JVR, BOB, 2 picks and cash, is that a good deal?

Nope. Bob's not a starting goalie, JVR hasn't played near the potential he supposedly has, and picks mean nothing what with our awful scouting department. We need a huge haul for Nash, not a backup goalie and three maybe-but-probably-nots

Bobrovsky is 23 years old. The average goalie doesn't even make the league until about 25-26 (and they usually are backups at first). Being an NHL backup at age 23 is really good, most guys at 23 are barely out of the CHL, and have maybe a year or two in the AHL so far. He put up starting numbers two years ago, and he has what it takes to be good. Also, guys like Schneider and Harding weren't very good at first, and now, after a few years of development, they are looked at as guys who could start the majority of their team's games.

Same with Van Riemsdyk, he is only 23, and he actually has been pretty solid. He's put up about .5 points per game, and that's with 2 years of Richards, Giroux, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, Gagne, and now guys like Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek in front of him in the lineup. I'm not a Flyers fan, but I can pretty much guarantee that he has had some problems getting ice time with some pretty great players in front of him.

... and if those two picks are firsts or seconds, that's pretty good value for a guy who's never put up more than 79 points in a season. (and plenty of guys have scored more with worse teams, so you that's not a very good excuse.)

Oh, and FYI Ed, I'm pretty sure that you can't include cash in trades any more.

18,000 is running a little small for Hockeytown, if you ask me. And needless to say, unlike Joe Louis, the new arena won't have a single concourse from which you go up or down inside the seating bowl. That means the upper deck will be higher and farther away. They'll make a lot of money right away because that's the way it works, but the one good thing people have said about the whole experience at the big metal box on the waterfront is that there's nary a bad seat in the house. Now there will be thousands. Not good for the ol' Gate-Driven League.

A thought crossed my mind when Glendale's city manager Ed Beasley "retired" to start an independent consulting firm after getting the illegal lease pushed through. When the Cubs' crappy new owners decided they would shake down the government for money, they cravenly hired a black guy to ingratiate themselves to "the community" when it came time to ask for tax money. I wonder if the NHL has similar plans for Beasley, trotting him out as their token black person to explain to Detroit's black people why the hockey team needs to be given a publicly-funded arena and an "arena management fee" to run it for them. I have as little respect for the Rickettseseses as I do for the NHL braintrust, so it wouldn't shock me if pissant minds think alike.

Archived