2012-13 soccer kits

Saintsfan

...and to that I say meh. But I'm a jerk that way.

..and to that I agree (about Americans rooting for another country over the U.S., not about Mockba being a jerk). I have a few friends who weren't born here who still root for the U.S. over their home countries. In fact, one of them wrote an editorial in the local paper about how appalled he is that most Americans don't take enough pride in their national team. Sadly, I really can't disagree with that sentiment.

eh, when Landon Donovan is the face of the team, it isn't all that appalling to look the other way.

I'd say Clint dempseys currently the face of us soccer.

I also have a few friends who were born on Mexico that fully support the usmnt. Like Pablo Francisco says! "of you love Mexico so much then to back"

Clint Dempsey is definitely the best field player and he's featured in the new promo, but I think Landon Donovan is still very much the face of US soccer which is very unfortunate. After the World Cup his face was everywhere because of that late goal against Algeria.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and to that I say meh. But I'm a jerk that way.

..and to that I agree (about Americans rooting for another country over the U.S., not about Mockba being a jerk). I have a few friends who weren't born here who still root for the U.S. over their home countries. In fact, one of them wrote an editorial in the local paper about how appalled he is that most Americans don't take enough pride in their national team. Sadly, I really can't disagree with that sentiment.

eh, when Landon Donovan is the face of the team, it isn't all that appalling to look the other way.

I'd say Clint dempseys currently the face of us soccer.

I also have a few friends who were born on Mexico that fully support the usmnt. Like Pablo Francisco says! "of you love Mexico so much then to back"

Clint Dempsey is definitely the best field player and he's featured in the new promo, but I think Landon Donovan is still very much the face of US soccer which is very unfortunate. After the World Cup his face was everywhere because of that late goal against Algeria.

Yeah arguable, but I would still say Dempsey. Donovan definitely WAS the face. He was nikes main promo guy for all their unveils. But now we have deuce standing next to Ronaldo and being the main guy for all the unveils (vapors, uniforms, etc.)

Why is it unfortunate that you would have one of your best players who plays in your domestic league as the face of your team?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Why is it unfortunate that you would have one of your best players who plays in your domestic league as the face of your team?

because he is a complete and utter prick

So are the majority of elite athletes.

Alrighty then. I'm convinced.

...or, rather, I'm not. But hey.

POTD 2013-08-22

Alrighty then. I'm convinced.

...or, rather, I'm not. But hey.

not convinced that Landon Donovan is a douche, or not convinced that's a good enough reason for why I'd rather he not be the face of the team?

A bit of both, I suppose. As someone said, all pro athletes are douches in some way or another. I suppose I can't really ask you to "prove" your personal opinion, though.

As for if it's a bad idea for him to be significantly marketed, well, it'd be dumb for them not to. Unless he's involved in some big public incident, I can't see how you can expect US Soccer not to promote one of their best players who also happens to play in their domestic league.

POTD 2013-08-22

A bit of both, I suppose. As someone said, all pro athletes are douches in some way or another. I suppose I can't really ask you to "prove" your personal opinion, though.

As for if it's a bad idea for him to be significantly marketed, well, it'd be dumb for them not to. Unless he's involved in some big public incident, I can't see how you can expect US Soccer not to promote one of their best players who also happens to play in their domestic league.

I think playing in the MLS is a detriment. Sure it connects to a broader American audience, but those are still the same people who think soccer is terrible simply because it isn't popular in the United States. The reason why Clint Dempsey is so heralded and cherished is because of what he is doing in the Premier league, which gives more credence, or at least gives that impression, to American soccer as a whole. USMT has had plenty of absolutely fantastic representatives in Dempsey, McBride, Howard, Friedel, Claudio Reyna, etc. who have all been successful abroad and are incredibly humble in doing so.

And as far as Landon Donovan being a jerk, it's a well documented opinion held by many.

I think playing in the MLS is a detriment. Sure it connects to a broader American audience

And that there is why they market him. Besides, you know, being the top goal scorer in the history of the national team.

POTD 2013-08-22

I think playing in the MLS is a detriment. Sure it connects to a broader American audience

And that there is why they market him. Besides, you know, being the top goal scorer in the history of the national team.

eh I think scoring the most goals by an American in the Premier League is more impressive and more noteworthy even in the context of representing the national team.

The Revolution wish they ever had a kit this good-looking.

It's a unifying element across all the shirts. I love the ghost sashes.

If the US was my national team, I'd get one without the numbers. Good on them for giving the option.

Aren't you from... Wisconsin?

Lots of people cheer for the national teams from where their ancestral homes are before cheering for the US. Germany, Ireland, Italy, England, etc. can all take precedence over the US for some people.

In my case, it's a little more than that (although I claim both New York and Milwaukee as my home towns).

My wife is English. My children all have dual citizenship. We spend a good portion of the year in England. That's where I reconnected with the game after walking away from it as a kid. I still don't follow an MLS club but am an Arsenal season ticket holder.

I'd love to see the US do well (and I'd love to finally have an MLS squad someday), but my soccer heart will always wear three lions on a shirt.

Interesting topic of what country to cheer for. I'm all American but lived and worked in Milan and travel back and forth to Italy often. Because of that I pull for Italy slightly more in soccer than the USA. For me, it's because I know how important it is for Italians that the Italian team does well whereas in America, it's nice if they do well but not vital.

I think playing in the MLS is a detriment. Sure it connects to a broader American audience, but those are still the same people who think soccer is terrible simply because it isn't popular in the United States. The reason why Clint Dempsey is so heralded and cherished is because of what he is doing in the Premier league, which gives more credence, or at least gives that impression, to American soccer as a whole. USMT has had plenty of absolutely fantastic representatives in Dempsey, McBride, Howard, Friedel, Claudio Reyna, etc. who have all been successful abroad and are incredibly humble in doing so.

And as far as Landon Donovan being a jerk, it's a well documented opinion held by many.

I don't like him, but I thought Donovan did pretty well in the EPL this season.

For me, it's the USA head and shoulders over anyone else.

Past that, Croatia is definitely second (I'm 1/4 Croat) in their own distinct tier, with Germany (1/8), Ireland (1/8), France (1/16), England*, and Cameroon** coming in that third tier. If Slovakia (3/16) and Hungary (1/8) were ever on the world stage I'd pull for them. Despite being 1/8 Italian, I've never particularly liked the Italian game. I've also got a lot of other countries that I'll "pull" for, but the USA and Croatia are head and shoulders above anyone else.

*My first soccer match (outside of a USL match or something I caught when I was like 6 and Indy had a team and school matches) was a Ghana/England friendly at Wembley. Needless to say, that, plus the 2010 World Cup, is really and truly where I found my love for soccer that I have today.

**A couple of my best friends, siblings, were born in Cameroon, so that's the rationale behind that.

NOTE: I also do like to see our neighbo(u)rs to the north do well.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't like him, but I thought Donovan did pretty well in the EPL this season.

I didn't say he was a bad player (even though he does tend to disappear in big games for the US), and yeah he has performed pretty well in his loan spells at Everton, but he's appeared fewer than 20 times so lets not get too carried away.

For me, It's Canada. To the grave.

Now, my family is Dutch, no question. My mom's parents are straight off the boat from Holland and my Dad's side is half Dutch, half English.

So yes, I do support the Dutch and I also support the USA (I figure the Canadians might learn something from the USA, so if the US does well maybe Canada can too.) and I don't see anything wrong with that.

When the US comes to BMO this summer to play Canada in a friendly, I will be wearing red and white and singing for Canada, end of story. Same thing would happy if someday, somehow Canada faced off against Holland.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Revolution wish they ever had a kit this good-looking.

It's a unifying element across all the shirts. I love the ghost sashes.

If the US was my national team, I'd get one without the numbers. Good on them for giving the option.

Aren't you from... Wisconsin?

Lots of people cheer for the national teams from where their ancestral homes are before cheering for the US. Germany, Ireland, Italy, England, etc. can all take precedence over the US for some people.

In my case, it's a little more than that (although I claim both New York and Milwaukee as my home towns).

My wife is English. My children all have dual citizenship. We spend a good portion of the year in England. That's where I reconnected with the game after walking away from it as a kid. I still don't follow an MLS club but am an Arsenal season ticket holder.

I'd love to see the US do well (and I'd love to finally have an MLS squad someday), but my soccer heart will always wear three lions on a shirt.

TRAITOR! BENEDICT ARNOLD!

;)

spacer.png

Archived