My take on the classic Bucs logo

gynemeth78

Nice execution! But part of the classic logo's charm is its kitchiness, odd colors, old school line weights, and the pirate's slight creepiness.

If you modernize it and take the logo seriously, I'd say go all the way and change the colors. The creamsicle colors deserve the original logo in my opinion.

Really nice. Everything is an improvement, except the mouth area, where the teeth are holding the knife. In the real old version, the teeth cover part of the knife, so it looks like the knife is actually in the teeth. Other than that nitpick, really nice update. I have always preferred this classic Buccaneers logo to the newer one.

Nice. I loved that Bucs set, despite the fact that they had a fairly detailed helmet logo (which I tend to hate). This definitely mitigates that issue some and I love the orange outline wrapping around.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I feel like there is no depth in the lower portion of the logo almost like the knife was an after thought. The way the hilt is twisted doesn't seem to work with the way you have the blade. Almost like the blade was placed after everything else. Perhaps somehow you can move the blade back so that it's on the same plane as the hilt? I'm no professional so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Good, really good. But it could be better. Couple things I would consider though:

-The knife doesn't really appear to be between the teeth of ol' Bucco Bruce there. It sort of looks like the knife was just slapped on top of his mouth

-As others have already pointed out, the left portion of the mustache needs to be separated from his hair

-Some of the facial features look a little inconsistent. What I mean is; the eyes and ear are small and round, whereas the nose is big and blocky.

-And this last one is just something I would try out to see if it looks any better. But what if you were to thicken up the orange outline and then put a small white outline between it and the logo, creating some white space between the orange and red. Again, I don't know if it would work or not, but I'd like to see what it would look like.

Really nice job on this though, a couple of tweaks and it could be a great logo that I would be more than happy to see the Bucs go with.

I could be wrong here, but i think the right side of the hat is supposed to look like folded over, but the red that breaks up the white lighting strokes making it appear as two pieces, if that makes sense. might want to just connect the white portions there.

i think you could maybe improve it overall by sharpening the outer stroke at the edges and i think you could also improve it by trying to add depth to the hair with maybe some orange highlights in there, idk, your work. Looking good though!

The coy wink and the discomfort of toting a dagger in the mouth has been replaced with a fanatical stare. The soft curves of the face discarded for sharp, inflexible angles.

I like it.

FsQiF2W.png

The coy wink and the discomfort of toting a dagger in the mouth has been replaced with a fanatical stare. The soft curves of the face discarded for sharp, inflexible angles.

I like it.

This, except that I don't like those changes. Haha. It's nice to see the logo 'cleaned up' a little. (I.e. You gave a nice modernization when it comes to line weights and illustration.) But the facial expression is now awkward. He looks like he just got punched in the gut or something. The fact that both eyes are wide open and his bottom teeth are bared make him look a little nuts too. Try staying closer to the facial expression of the original (looking to his right and not baring his teeth so much; I could take or leave the wink). That, combined with your excellent rendering would make this a good update.

- Personal preference here, but I kinda like the wink, so I'd add that back in.

- On a more serious note, I think you should try and smooth out the shading around his chin/under his lower lip. Right now it's very blocky and creates an awkward shape when combined with the shading of the neck.

Archived