Teams who are currently wearing their best look

Chawls

What would make that a tremendous set is if they put a matching Nationals script on the front of the home uniform. THAT would easily be the best look in franchise history (including the Expos).

That would also make them look like everyone else.

Instead, we get a bland home jersey with bad piping and horrifically placed numbers on the front.

You've gotta be kidding me. You think that Nationals jersey with the wordmark isn't bland? That might be one of the blandest uniforms I have ever seen, for any sport. The only reason you like it is because it isn't used - if it were used, after about 3 games you would be complaining about how bland it is. It's a freaking "Nationals" written in cursive on a jersey - what's so great about this? Don't we see enough of that in baseball?

Also, there's nothing "horrific" (let's not get to carried away here) about the number placement or piping on the current Nats jerseys. The number is supposed to be lower than the W. Look at the ChiSox alts for reference. It looks really bad when the number and wordmark are at the same level.

a mediocre chest logo.

The curly W is the basically symbol of the Nats at this point, and it looks fine. It belongs prominently displayed on a jersey. Its no more mediocre than an interlocking NY.

That's exactly what baseball uniforms should be though: they shouldn't be flashy or have extraneous piping or designs. Simple piping and good wordmarks (or chest logos) work best. Baseball has largely avoided that, and it's a good thing, because it would NOT fit the sport of baseball one bit.

But there needs to be a balance. We can't have everyone looking as bland as the Yankees or as flashy as the Marlins. If everyone looked the same it would be too boring.

What's great about the Nats set is that they are right there in the middle. They could fit into either the flashy or traditional category. I don't know why you are so against piping, but it fits their home jersey well. It gives the jersey a little character. The roads have the cursive script that you seem to be so in love with, I know it says "Washington" and not this apparently amazing "Nationals" script but it nicely incorporates the curly W. The weekend alternates are a little more flashy with the beautiful red shade that even works well with their road caps. Again, the piping and curly W give these uniforms some character.

Often, what some people see as "bland", I see as classy and understated. The best baseball uniforms are that way.

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to look the same. Again, we can't have everyone looking like the Yankees. We need to have a little originality. The Nats have managed to be somewhat original without being ridiculous.

That prototype is no more or less bland than the Red Sox, Dodgers, Tigers, Giants, etc., all of whom have some of the best uniforms in baseball.

And those uniforms are still bland. You can't say "well, look at these teams, they are bland, why can't the Nats be?" Those teams can get away with some blandness because they have a rich history. Newer teams that are trying to establish themselves and gain fanbases need to be a little more creative with their looks. I'm glad the Nats are trying to do that.

By the way, I am no Nats fan, but I love their current look. And the fact that they are playing so well is only making their set look even better.

You should only post in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, because none of yours makes any sense.

Have the Yankees been mentioned yet? Apart from maybe adding an alternate and the lingering logo issues, I wouldn't change a thing about the Yankees' uniforms.

Only thing the Yankees need todo is ditch the white trim aroum the letters and the sleeve cuffs on the roads. Homes are perfect and no alt is needed.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing the Yankees need todo is ditch the white trim aroum the letters and the sleeve cuffs on the roads. Homes are perfect and no alt is needed.

Bingo.

Agreed. The white trim addition fit the 70's, sure, but it should've stayed there. Remove it all, and you've got perfection.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Bingo.

I think they'd even be fine if they left the white trim on the letters and numbers, but changed the sleeve striping to a thinner design. That could amount to perfection in my book

Nah, they dumped their best look unceremoniously for those.

Greg+Moore+New+Jersey+Devils+v+New+York+Islanders+NQztSZLjwlul.jpg

230px-John_Tavares_2009-11-27.JPG

I have always thought that this set would have made a great template for the Penguins to have used with a return to the athletic yellow from the vegas gold - minus the front numbers of course (the shoulder piping is okay; it could stay or go).

The Isle and Oilers were two teams that came drastically close to perfection in their uniforms in the late 90s, but were never going to be a allowed to have it, because it wasn't what they wore in the 70s and 80s.

The Isle's needed to clean up some inconsistencies on those late 90s unis, but they were pretty close. I enjoyed their first EDGE look too, but I knew it wouldn't stick.

The Oilers may well have had perfection with their 90s and early 2000s look. I enjoyed both variants of the white jersey (the original with navy shoulders, then later on without it).

But fans dig living in the past, so despite how well designed and despite the fact that they evolved directly from the more classic looks, they were never going to be allowed to be permanent. And once they made their changes to their first version of Edge uniforms, you knew they'd change soon, and you knew they'd go retro.

So now they're both stuck with the garish combination of that bright royal blue and bright orange with both colors featured in large chunks (rather than one as light trim), and both uniforms suffer from certain striping inconsistencies that drive me crazy.

Fans are fans and they want what they want. They drove that change, they're happy, so be it. But I think both franchise made monumentally poor decisions by living in the past.

Bingo.

I think they'd even be fine if they left the white trim on the letters and numbers, but changed the sleeve striping to a thinner design. That could amount to perfection in my book

My preference is for them to remove the white outline completely, but I'd be fine with keeping the white outline while removing the sleeve stripes. The white outline is unnecessary, but doesn't look bad. Probably would look better without it though.

The sleeve stripes are really a relic of the 70's, which perhaps fits the Yankees the least of any team (outside of the four 90's expansion teams, I suppose).

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

No mentions of any basketball or soccer (football, for everyone else) teams?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The Isle and Oilers were two teams that came drastically close to perfection in their uniforms in the late 90s, but were never going to be a allowed to have it, because it wasn't what they wore in the 70s and 80s.

The Isle's needed to clean up some inconsistencies on those late 90s unis, but they were pretty close. I enjoyed their first EDGE look too, but I knew it wouldn't stick.

The Oilers may well have had perfection with their 90s and early 2000s look. I enjoyed both variants of the white jersey (the original with navy shoulders, then later on without it).

But fans dig living in the past, so despite how well designed and despite the fact that they evolved directly from the more classic looks, they were never going to be allowed to be permanent. And once they made their changes to their first version of Edge uniforms, you knew they'd change soon, and you knew they'd go retro.

So now they're both stuck with the garish combination of that bright royal blue and bright orange with both colors featured in large chunks (rather than one as light trim), and both uniforms suffer from certain striping inconsistencies that drive me crazy.

Fans are fans and they want what they want. They drove that change, they're happy, so be it. But I think both franchise made monumentally poor decisions by living in the past.

I agree with you 100% on the Oilers. That update was outstanding. And I still think that it may have had staying power if they'd kept it on the edge jersey. Instead they had easily the biggest downgrade of that whole "edge" fiasco. There were some other downgrades and uniforms I did not like, but it was the only one where I just could not see any way that someone could say "yeah, this is better." And with the 80s look back, we're never going see it again. I give a slight edge to the blue-shouldered white uniform, but either way...

I am not sure which Isles uniform you are referring to (I am guessing classic logo on "fishticks" template). But with the gray and light blue, I think I'm happy with them going back to a more classic look. On the other hand, if you are referring to the 1998-2002 look, then I totally agree. This is a solid update with the darker colors. I'd say that's the best the Isles have ever looked (though I don't like the four Stanley Cup stripes)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Bingo.

My preference is for them to remove the white outline completely, but I'd be fine with keeping the white outline while removing the sleeve stripes. The white outline is unnecessary, but doesn't look bad. Probably would look better without it though.

The sleeve stripes are really a relic of the 70's, which perhaps fits the Yankees the least of any team (outside of the four 90's expansion teams, I suppose).

I'd like to see a faux flannel for some of the more storied franchises...the flat gray gets kind of boring...gray is still better than alts though

I don't see how royal blue and orange together is "garish", nor would I consider the Oilers use of orange to be "large chunks". They're complimentary colors that IMO look great together, and are "inspiring", as opposed to the darker navy and relatively-dark copper (I find primary, or at least bold colors to be more inspiring and "rally-aroundable" for sports uniforms as opposed to the darker more casual "got it at the Gap" gear that sells great but is rather dull in action.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No mentions of any basketball or soccer (football, for everyone else) teams?

NBA:

Lakers

Heat

Bulls

Hawks (though it's still ugly)

Soccer's kinda hard for me since they change kits so often. I'd say PSG, Real Madrid, and Man City, but PSG and City will be wearing worse kits this coming year. Also USA, Netherlands, Portugal Argentina, and Brazil as far as international kits

Manchester-City-icon.png

Get rid of the pointless shoulder piping and front numbers and you have a passable Islanders set.

Also, beef up the hem stripes, and they'd look alright. Still not anywhere close to the traditional Islanders set though.

And get rid of that dumb shoulder patch. It's cool how they wanted to honour their 4 Cups, but 4 stripes is about as lazy and bland as you can get. I wouldn't say it's their best, but definitely underrated.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

NHL:

Stars (I know about the massive hate)

You are entitled to an opinion, but it's a fact that the Stars' current uniforms are terrible. :P They're just garbage. Very little use of color, a standard wordmark, and football numbers. The one thing I like about them is that I like the black better than green, but they need at least some piping or something in green.

Get rid of the pointless shoulder piping and front numbers and you have a passable Islanders set.

Also, beef up the hem stripes, and they'd look alright. Still not anywhere close to the traditional Islanders set though.

And get rid of that dumb shoulder patch. It's cool how they wanted to honour their 4 Cups, but 4 stripes is about as lazy and bland as you can get. I wouldn't say it's their best, but definitely underrated.

I love the four-stripes patch. I think it's understated and elegant.

Archived