Teams that have started horrible design trends.

Ark

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dallas Stars

TEAM NAME

1143157832_iEGq8-M-1.jpg

0-auld.jpg

SarniaSting-3rdjersey.jpg

yf9fwgf7xsj39e13ngcldj054.gif

2c7op57esc5e8hhrshvh6ykxo.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Weird stripes, panels, pretty much all of it.

John_Elway.jpgjohn_elway_terrell_davis_photofile.jpg

That was immediately the example I thought of. The Broncos uniforms blew the lid off of conventional football design, which at the time, was pretty tame across the board. Before them there were no teams taking chances. After them, Oregon and Miami especially, began to trot out whacky looking uniforms every year. They showed people that you don't have to a linear striped uniform with a block font.

Fun fact: Every single high school football team in the country wore the Broncos template from 1998-2001.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Charlotte Hornets. Not only the purple/teal of the 90s, but vertical stripes...

...the gateway drug to pinstripes

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In 1997 the New York Rangers added lace-up collars to their road blues, the first time a NHL team had worn lace-up collars regularly since the 1978-79 season.

388399_crop_650x440.jpg

The trend would, obviously, continue to this day.

0131-tbl-playersmodel.jpg

462px-Jarome_Iginla_2008.jpg

1001-ott-unveil3rd.jpg

2012BridgestoneNHLWinterClassicNewYorkmBroqJzwT_ml.jpg

101209_COL_3Jersey_StastnyB.jpg

5473549bin.jpg

106956030_display_image.jpg

107597173_display_image.jpg

109399451_display_image.jpg

On 7/10/2012 at 10:55 AM, McCarthy said:
On 7/10/2012 at 10:50 AM, infrared41 said:

Weird stripes, panels, pretty much all of it.

That was immediately the example I thought of. The Broncos uniforms blew the lid off of conventional football design, which at the time, was pretty tame across the board. Before them there were no teams taking chances. After them, Oregon and Miami especially, began to trot out whacky looking uniforms every year. They showed people that you don't have to a linear striped uniform with a block font.

Fun fact: Every single high school football team in the country wore the Broncos template from 1998-2001.

Yeah, that's the best example. And to this day, I dont know. Was it:

• Just a "revolutionary" design? (which is about what I figured at the time)
  • An early example of the manufacturer billboardizing itself?
  • Ahead of the game on "sleeves are disappearing" design?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

Well the thread subtitle does say "Or good trends even."

Though I'm with phutmasterflex. They work for some teams, but they seem out of place on others. That the San Jose Sharks wear a lace-up collar while the Montreal Canadiens wear the stock Edge v-neck is just wrong.

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

To an extent. It looks nice on the older teams like the Rangers but teams like the Sharks shouldn't try to adopt an old school feel with their jerseys

There's an old school feel to the laceup collar, but I don't give that much thought because the history of the laceup is difficult to track before the 1940s. As far as I can tell, the Rangers brought it to the NHL then, too, but before that it was a more functional thing that kept wool sweater collars from stretching out, and was usually hidden.

Why I like the laceup, is because it's unique to hockey. No other sport does it. Like the stirrup to baseball, it's one-sport-only, and it really should stand in as the iconic image for the hockey sweater

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

To an extent. It looks nice on the older teams like the Rangers but teams like the Sharks shouldn't try to adopt an old school feel with their jerseys

I think that either all 30 teams should have lace up collars, or only the Original Six. One or the other.

I think it would be a cool differentiating feature if just the Original Six had them. So far, 3/6 do (Leafs, Bruins, Rangers)

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Roundels. (recently)

Initial offender: Minnesota Wild, 2003

gaborikmarianMIN023.jpg

Subsequent offenders *note, some logos pre-dated the Wild, but have only been featured on jerseys since the trend started. Others were just part of the graphic that i had previously made

Screenshot2011-07-24at12940PM.png

Screenshot2011-07-24at12952PM.png

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived