2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 yards!! I can't believe he was that close. I wanted him to get the record.

Had that ONE PLAY been called correctly in Seattle, the Packers would've had the #2 seed wrapped up last week and AP could've had his way with the Packers second team defense all afternoon.

Hope you're happy, Goodell.

...and it all comes back to Seattle. I feel as if NO ONE wants the Seahawks to go far because of the Fail Mary. As if they are now the most hated sports city in America.

It's not their fault for the call (though the willful ignorance on the part of some was very off-putting), and it would appear that, everything else being equal, their standing wasn't affected at all (if they had finished 10-6 instead, they still would be #5 by virtue of beating the Vikings and Bears), but the fact is that call did end up directly deciding the #2 seed in the NFC, and that pretty much sucks.

The Seattle hatred would've been much stronger if, for whatever reason, the Niners had lost today, and Seattle had catapulted up to #2, over Green Bay thanks to (wait for it...) the head-to-head "victory". THAT would've led to some serious outrage in many circles of NFL fans.

spacer.png

Has there ever been a playoff meeting between two rookie QB's?

Because there will be one with Russell Wilson and RGIII next week.

Andy Dalton and TJ Yates last year.

For the record, I like the Bengals' chances heading into this game much better than I did last year.

Also, no Steelers, no Cowboys, the Bengals are in, Andrew Luck, RGIII, Russell Wilson. If New England gets knocked out early this might be my favorite playoffs ever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This may not come off as popular, but I'm seriously dreading a deep Colts run. I can only take so much Triumph of the Human Spirit crap before it makes me ill. #ChuckStrong is going to get Tebowed by ESPN and this feel-good Win One For The Gipper thing will make my balls shrivel into dust.

edit: it has begun. Oh god.

I am not one who gets too emotional for stuff like this. but at least it's good to see he's doing reasonably well... on that note, I think Bruce Arians should be consided for coach of the year.

I saw, I came, I left.

Has there ever been a playoff meeting between two rookie QB's?

Because there will be one with Russell Wilson and RGIII next week.

Andy Dalton and TJ Yates last year.

For the record, I like the Bengals' chances heading into this game much better than I did last year.

Also, no Steelers, no Cowboys, the Bengals are in, Andrew Luck, RGIII, Russell Wilson. If New England gets knocked out early this might be my favorite playoffs ever.

So easy to forget that T.J. Yates even exists. Good catch.

There's reason to like the Bengals chances more, because they're entering the playoffs on a 7-1 roll, and not a 3-5 backslide. Houston is entering the playoffs having lost three of four, and reeling after falling from #1 to #3, which had been their perch for damn-near the entire season. The game should definitely be closer than the 31-10 rout the Texans levied on them last year. Perhaps that late season win in Pittsburgh was what the Bengals needed, mentally, to know what they are capable of.

spacer.png

I dunno. The Tebow stuff has always been full of holes and not nearly as genuine as the Pagano stuff. No one is rooting against an all-around good dude who dealt with cancer.

And, regarding Tebow, thank God for Merril Hoge putting all the other yokels in their place.

As someone who's just as tired of the Tebow crap as everyone else is, Merril Hoge is King Yokel. More to come on Basically, a Sports Show :D

I'm gonna sound dumb here because I used to be a Romo supporter, but I would have no problem with trading him for a couple of draft picks to use on a young QB. I understand that they were only in this position because of him, but does Jerry Jones really think that this guy is going to win him a super bowl? The Redskins outplayed and thoroughly outcoached them tonight, and the Cowboys would've lost by 40 next week to Seattle anyways.

Oh and by the way, Bob Costas just said "You have to feel for Tony Romo right now." umm he's making nine million dollars this year and is going home to a supermodel wife, I think he'll be just fine. :P

Romo is the Cowboys QB for years to come. I love that guy. Yes he makes mistakes, but as long as he's the Cowboys quarterback he'll always have the support of this Cowboys fan. I believe we will win the Super Bowl with him at the helm. He just needs the defense to do it. I give Romo 5 more seasons to accomplish that goal.

I know earlier in the year, I wanted Garrett fired, but I want him back for at least 2 more seasons. He's coached a very damn good season. Like Romo, he still makes mistakes, but he's showing that he's learning from them.

I think the Cowboys will be a force to be reckoned with.

Well the Cowboys might be a force to be reckoned with in a few years, but they won't be this year. Time to pay up :D

Bold prediction time:

The Cowboys will be the NFC representive in Super Bowl XLVII.

If they don't make it... I need to figure out something I'll do if they don't. Any ideas?

The degree of homerism is staggering. I can't wait until the Jags or Rams (or both!) are playing in LA.

Anyway something to do if the Fightin' Romos don't make it to Super Bowl XLVII? You put up a Redskins/Eagles/Giants signature for a year starting from the moment they're eliminated from the possibility of making the Super Bowl. Be it eliminated from making the playoffs in the regular season or eliminated from the playoffs.

I like it. I'll also put up Montana to Clark as my avatar in the event that I'm wrong.

What can I say? I'm a diehard Dallas Cowboys fan and I'll never quit on my team. Even if LA gets a team, they'll only be my third favorite team, behind the Cowboys and Raiders.

Just reading one of those posts - " Like Romo, he still makes mistakes, but he's showing that he's learning from them."

Umm...Tony Romo will be 33 next season. He's been starting for 6.5 seasons now. If his problems are "he still makes mistakes", then odds are that problem will never go away. It's more likely that Romo just isn't as good a QB as the stats would indicate.

spacer.png

Either that or the Cowboy faithful keep insisting on that point so they don't have to go through another carousel of who's who? at quarterback.

(By the way, there's not currently any promising former QB's with "huge upside" somewhere in the New York Yankees farm system right now, is there?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm gonna sound dumb here because I used to be a Romo supporter, but I would have no problem with trading him for a couple of draft picks to use on a young QB. I understand that they were only in this position because of him, but does Jerry Jones really think that this guy is going to win him a super bowl? The Redskins outplayed and thoroughly outcoached them tonight, and the Cowboys would've lost by 40 next week to Seattle anyways.

Oh and by the way, Bob Costas just said "You have to feel for Tony Romo right now." umm he's making nine million dollars this year and is going home to a supermodel wife, I think he'll be just fine. :P

Romo is the Cowboys QB for years to come. I love that guy. Yes he makes mistakes, but as long as he's the Cowboys quarterback he'll always have the support of this Cowboys fan. I believe we will win the Super Bowl with him at the helm. He just needs the defense to do it. I give Romo 5 more seasons to accomplish that goal.

I know earlier in the year, I wanted Garrett fired, but I want him back for at least 2 more seasons. He's coached a very damn good season. Like Romo, he still makes mistakes, but he's showing that he's learning from them.

I'm still torn over Garrett, but do you really feel confident with Romo winning big games after tonight? He'll be 38 in five years, do you really think that he's still gonna have the physical ability that he currently has? Jones said that this teams window is closing and in my opinion tonight it closed. This defense is going to be really good for years to come and I understand that, but I just don't see them winning a title with Romo. You have so much youth on both sides of the ball, and you can afford to go through a few rebuilding years to develop a new quarterback. I don't know, I may still be pissed from this game and my emotions will probably change tomorrow morning, but right now I can't bear the thought of seeing Tony Romo lead my offense in big games in years to come.

Yes I do. Romo is one of the best QB's in the NFL, but yesterday Haslett devised the perfect game plan against Garrett and Romo. The window hasn't closed, in my opinion. The window won't close until Romo, Witten and Ware retire or until they stop playing at a high level.

The Cowboys, next season will be a damn good football team. Once we're healthy, and especially since Dez decided to become the best WR without the last name Johnson, we'll have a hell of chance at a deep postseason run.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Well the Cowboys might be a force to be reckoned with in a few years, but they won't be this year. Time to pay up :D

Bold prediction time:

The Cowboys will be the NFC representive in Super Bowl XLVII.

If they don't make it... I need to figure out something I'll do if they don't. Any ideas?

The degree of homerism is staggering. I can't wait until the Jags or Rams (or both!) are playing in LA.

Anyway something to do if the Fightin' Romos don't make it to Super Bowl XLVII? You put up a Redskins/Eagles/Giants signature for a year starting from the moment they're eliminated from the possibility of making the Super Bowl. Be it eliminated from making the playoffs in the regular season or eliminated from the playoffs.

I like it. I'll also put up Montana to Clark as my avatar in the event that I'm wrong.

What can I say? I'm a diehard Dallas Cowboys fan and I'll never quit on my team. Even if LA gets a team, they'll only be my third favorite team, behind the Cowboys and Raiders.

Ah, well. I'll put them up now and I'll keep them until Training Camp starts. :P

I don't know how you remembered that. It was from last year! lol. But, I did say XLVII, which is this year's Super Bowl.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Yes I do. Romo is one of the best QB's in the NFL, but yesterday Haslett devised the perfect game plan against Garrett and Romo. The window hasn't closed, in my opinion. The window won't close until Romo, Witten and Ware retire or until they stop playing at a high level.

The Cowboys, next season will be a damn good football team. Once we're healthy, and especially since Dez decided to become the best WR without the last name Johnson, we'll have a hell of chance at a deep postseason run.

They are bad at both sides of the line of scrimmage, period. They had the least rushing yards in a 16 game season in team history and while DeMarco Murray is explosive, he has shown an injury history going back to OU. Romo was making "escape" plays most QBs could not do with a line that :censored:ty. This year, when Romo threw multiple picks, the were not able to come back to win.

Defensively, their "4" in the 3-4 is very good (Ware, Lee, Carter, Spencer-FA) but their "3" is not and cannot put pressure on OL; there is no space-eater. Ratliff (age 31), while on IR, also could be on his way out from his dustup with Jerry. Marcus Spears (age 29) is average at best, and Hatcher is 31. This team has to pay Spencer, or Franchise him again, but that number will be close to $13M*.

There is a chance that only Scandrick will the the only player on the roster from the 08-09 draft class, unless Jerry wants his Razorback boy Felix Jones back at a lower number.

With $5M less in cap space for 2012, Austin, Jenkins, Ogletree, Ratliff, Dan Connor ($3M base salary for 2013) and possibly Doug Free could be gone.

*- I'll post the Franchise Tag numbers in the 2013 off season thread.

Honestly, if the math worked out, there is only one thing to do with Romo in terms for a change of scenery...do a trade with SD for Philip Rivers. But then again, Jerry may try to bring back Norv...and Wanny...and Butch Davis by the weekend.

FYI, Dez spent last night in the hospital with back issues.

This may not come off as popular, but I'm seriously dreading a deep Colts run. I can only take so much Triumph of the Human Spirit crap before it makes me ill. #ChuckStrong is going to get Tebowed by ESPN and this feel-good Win One For The Gipper thing will make my balls shrivel into dust.

edit: it has begun. Oh god.

I am not one who gets too emotional for stuff like this. but at least it's good to see he's doing reasonably well... on that note, I think Bruce Arians should be consided for coach of the year.

It's great that he's doing well. Really. But I also dread a playoff run. I don't want this story to get 50 minutes on every SportsCenter episode.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I totally love that people believe this. To the objective observer, Tony Romo is a decent QB that will win as many games as he loses but will never be in the level of Manning, Brady, and Aikman before him. However, it feels like Romo isn't compared to those guys, but instead to the Quincy Carter/Drew Henson/Ryan Leaf/Drew Bledsoe horroshow. He'll always look good compared to them, but that's about it.

I mean, I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good guy, but it's becoming clearer that there's no system holding him back. He's had plenty of chances and opportunity to become an elite QB; it's just not going to happen for him. Ditto Romo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I totally love that people believe this. To the objective observer, Tony Romo is a decent QB that will win as many games as he loses but will never be in the level of Manning, Brady, and Aikman before him. However, it feels like Romo isn't compared to those guys, but instead to the Quincy Carter/Drew Henson/Ryan Leaf/Drew Bledsoe horroshow. He'll always look good compared to them, but that's about it.

I mean, I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good guy, but it's becoming clearer that there's no system holding him back. He's had plenty of chances and opportunity to become an elite QB; it's just not going to happen for him. Ditto Romo.

Bledsoe was a great QB. What are you talking about?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived