2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Belichick's antics aside, there's no question that the officiating in this game and many others was far below NFL standards.

Normal NFL officiating standards being what they are, that's really saying something.

Do you blame the replacement referees though or just the NFL and the regular officials? These guys are out there doing the best they can in a tough situation. Are they the best? No. Is it their fault they're in there in the first place though? It's not like these referees kicked out the regular ones. If you want to blame anyone, blame the league and the regular officials for not coming to an agreement. Don't blame the guys out there, it's not their fault they're out there.

No, as people I feel for them because it's an impossible situation. Like if you had a garage band and your local arena called and said, "Hey, U2 can't make it, can you play tonight?" You're not going to pass up that kind of opportunity but the fans expecting Bono will probably not be kind. The league and the regular refs are definitely the ones to blame but it's human nature that the replacements are going to be the lightning rods, fair or unfair.

I've discussed this with Ross Tucker on Sirius and he has an interesting take, basically blaming the regular zebras for demanding too much. He says in effect they're not worth it. Well, IMO neither is any player worth $50 million, but they're getting it because they work in a $9 billion business and want their fair share of the pie. So I don't blame the refs for not wanting to be left behind.

DALTON-PICK-SIX.gif

Why do coaches call screen passes backed up in their own endzone?

That's not a screen pass; none of the lineman are sliding out to block. It's a swing pass to a back who could be a check-down as opposed to the primary receiver. No way to know without seeing the entire play.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DALTON-PICK-SIX.gif

That's not a screen pass; none of the lineman are sliding out to block. It's a swing pass to a back who could be a check-down as opposed to the primary receiver. No way to know without seeing the entire play.

Either way I motion that play takes too long to develop given the situation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

DALTON-PICK-SIX.gif

Either way I motion that play takes too long to develop given the situation.

I second your motion. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Revis officially confirmed to have a torn ACL. His season is over.

:censored:

FAWWWWWWWWK!

The Jets are no longer a playoff team without Darrelle Revis in the lineup, which means (sadly) Rex Ryan's job will be in serious jeopardy this offseason. Just thinking about not having Rex on the Jets sideline because of one single injury pisses me off to no end. :mad:

6uXNWAo.png

Revis officially confirmed to have a torn ACL. His season is over.

:censored:

Revis Island has finally been sunked!

How? MISSILE TO THE KNEE!!

(I know it was something he did on his own, but come on. Saying 'MISSILE TO THE KNEE!' sounds much cooler then what actually happened to him)

I'm trying to come up with another Revis Island - Atlantis analogy, but I'm stumped.

I'm not sure if they were even a playoff team with Revis.

I would say they were borderline to get a wild card spot. I could see them winning 10 games with a healthy Revis in the lineup.

Without Revis though, this is probably 7 win team at best. They have nothing on offense that scares anybody, and without Revis all of a sudden they look like a very average defense.

As far as Rex Ryan goes, I wouldn't fire him, but this is the what have you done for me lately league and I don't know if there's anybody out of maybe Bill Belichick getting canned that would surprise me anymore.

I've discussed this with Ross Tucker on Sirius and he has an interesting take, basically blaming the regular zebras for demanding too much. He says in effect they're not worth it. Well, IMO neither is any player worth $50 million, but they're getting it because they work in a $9 billion business and want their fair share of the pie. So I don't blame the refs for not wanting to be left behind.

From what I understand (which isn't very much, so take this with a grain of salt), it's not really about how much they are getting paid. It's about it being a full or part time job and the benefits that go with it.

jNTsTyQ.png

From what I understand (which isn't very much, so take this with a grain of salt), it's not really about how much they are getting paid. It's about it being a full or part time job and the benefits that go with it.

In a way what's going on with the NFL is kind of microcosm for what's going on in the rest of the country. They're going after pensions and especially those where the employees don't even pay into. The refs are just first on the list. Team employees are going to be next and maybe even the players down the road.

Just for anyone thinking that the Bills have a chance at handing the Patriots their third straight defeat. You have to go back almost 10 years for the last time the Patriots under Tom Brady lost three consecutive games. They actually lost four straight (SD, MIA, GB, DEN) that year.

Just goes to show the amount of consistency that the Belichick era Patriots have had.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

My first chance getting a real look at Russell Wilson and if I didn't know any better I would think this guy had been starting for at least two years.

He's not being asked to do much, but there's nothing that looks off about him. His throwing motion is there, looks very comfortable in the pocket and its obvious he could be a Michael Vick type of QB if he wanted to, but that's not what he's trying to do.

Archived