2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

It's simple and as sad as it is in today's game. Win and people will get off your back. I mean it took 2 Super Bowls for people to shutup about Eli, he's different though.

Eli also brushed off alot of the criticism that was thrown on him on a nearly daily basis from the New York media and Tiki Barber. It goes with the territory. Show me a QB that went through his entire career without being criticized and I'll show somebody that never got on the field.

As for the Aikman/George compairison only point was to make that Jeff George wasn't as bad as people think. Never said he was better then Aikman, and personally I think Aikman is a little overated myself which may have something to do with it, but George was far from being the worst QB I ever saw. The guy led the NFL in passing one year. Yet to see a bad QB do that.

If he had his head even remotely screwed on straight I think he would be in the Hall of Fame instead of being a career journyeman with an attitude problem that no team was going to invest in beyond two years.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started watching football around 93, but I was pretty young and maybe didn't have a full grasp of the game then. Here's a question about Aikman- How good was Aikman, really? I know he is a hall of famer, but in retrospect, he seems very overrated. He had a top 5 all-time RB, a HOF receiver, possible hall-of-famers at FB and TE, and played behind pretty much five pro-bowlers on the line at any given time. Was he that good? Did he ever take over games? Did he lead comebacks? Maybe he did and I don't remember them. I don't remember him torching teams.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I started watching football around 93, but I was pretty young and maybe didn't have a full grasp of the game then. Here's a question about Aikman- How good was Aikman, really? I know he is a hall of famer, but in retrospect, he seems very overrated. He had a top 5 all-time RB, a HOF receiver, possible hall-of-famers at FB and TE, and played behind pretty much five pro-bowlers on the line at any given time. Was he that good? Did he ever take over games? Did he lead comebacks? Maybe he did and I don't remember them. I don't remember him torching teams.

He didn't lead many 4th quarter combacks, but the Cowboys were also very rarely down late in games. He never played in a single playoff game that was decided by less then a touchdown, so he was rarely even put in a position where he could lead his team to a 4th quarter game winning drive. In terms of his ability in the clutch you almost have to give him an imcomplete. The Cowboys were just so dominant they didn't need a QB to come up big in the clutch.

He was a very solid QB, but he did have a ton of talent around him. One of if not the best offensive line in the NFL, one of the ten greatest running backs the game has ever seen, solid receiving core. In short I thought of him as a very good quarterback on a great team. Could anyone have had the type of success that Troy Aikman did with the Cowboys? No. But could John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Steve Young have as much success with the Cowboys as Aikman did? I think they could have. I'd even throw guys like Boomer Esiason and Jim Everett on the list as well.

Except for the part where Everett and Esiason were on the tail ends of their careers by the time the Cowboys turned into the rolling death machine of the mid-90s.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After injuring his foot on Sunday, it's now been confirmed that Santonio Holmes is out for the year. Compounded with Darrelle Revis shredding his knee, the New York Jets' 2012 season can pretty much be sumed up by this:

sheet-metal-screw.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

After injuring his foot on Sunday, it's now been confirmed that Santonio Holmes is out for the year. Compounded with Darrelle Revis shredding his knee, the New York Jets' 2012 season can pretty much be sumed up by this:

sheet-metal-screw.jpg

Not to mention the owner stated that he would rather see Romney beat Obama then the Jets win earlier this week.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

sheet-metal-screw.jpg

Not to mention the owner stated that he would rather see Romney beat Obama then the Jets win earlier this week.

I think what Woody meant was he would rather see Romney win than see the Jets play. ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

He didn't lead many 4th quarter combacks, but the Cowboys were also very rarely down late in games. He never played in a single playoff game that was decided by less then a touchdown, so he was rarely even put in a position where he could lead his team to a 4th quarter game winning drive. In terms of his ability in the clutch you almost have to give him an imcomplete. The Cowboys were just so dominant they didn't need a QB to come up big in the clutch.

He was a very solid QB, but he did have a ton of talent around him. One of if not the best offensive line in the NFL, one of the ten greatest running backs the game has ever seen, solid receiving core. In short I thought of him as a very good quarterback on a great team. Could anyone have had the type of success that Troy Aikman did with the Cowboys? No. But could John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Steve Young have as much success with the Cowboys as Aikman did? I think they could have. I'd even throw guys like Boomer Esiason and Jim Everett on the list as well.

I'd put Brett Favre on that list too, and would take any one of those guys before I took Aikman. He was just his generation's Terry Bradshaw... a good quarterback on a great team.

Anyone have any idea where I could watch "A Football Life" full episodes? I'm dying to watch the latest one on the 95 Browns.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

After the Falcons kicked the winning FG yesterday, Mr. Buttoned Down Nice Guy Matt Ryan was shown on the sidelines screaming "F*** you, motherf***ers!" at the Panthers. Guess he wants it known what a tough guy he is.

matty-ryan-9-30-12.gif]

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Rams with a big win at the expense of losing their best receiver.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It's not like he and Bradford were connecting tonight except for the 1 bomb.

Anyway, for the first time since November 5, 2006, the St. Louis Rams are above .500 on a season.

Celebration is in order. Much celebration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V7QWknxeFc&feature=player_embedded#!

RamsWin.jpg

ChizuruMokyu2.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After the Falcons kicked the winning FG yesterday, Mr. Buttoned Down Nice Guy Matt Ryan was shown on the sidelines screaming "F*** you, motherf***ers!" at the Panthers. Guess he wants it known what a tough guy he is.

matty-ryan-9-30-12.gif]

If I was Ron Rivera I'd have that on a continous loop in the locker room when the Falcons come to Charlotte.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

matty-ryan-9-30-12.gif]

If I was Ron Rivera I'd have that on a continous loop in the locker room when the Falcons come to Charlotte.

That would be awesome.

It's not like he and Bradford were connecting tonight except for the 1 bomb.

Anyway, for the first time since November 5, 2006, the St. Louis Rams are above .500 on a season.

Celebration is in order. Much celebration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V7QWknxeFc&feature=player_embedded#!

RamsWin.jpg

ChizuruMokyu2.jpg

The brony thread is in the lounge.

Athletes have been swearing, trash-talking, and generally acting juvenile since sports have been played. Why is everyone being such a carelord about it this last month or so? Because the NFL has the most persistent cameramen? None of this matters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived