2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Man, the Cowboys are a Jekyll and Hyde team.

No. They are a team which cannot control the line of scrimmage and as a result has too many negative plays or those which force them to play "behind the chains" (the football phrase for 2012).

Until their last possession tonight with Orton, they ran 123 offensive plays in the last 8 quarters (Tampa Bay and Chicago)

39 plays were negative (11 penalties; 5 sacks; 6 INTS; 17 losing yardage). That is nearly 33%!

Plus, they got little to no pressure against the CHI offensive line.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet Cutler has forfeit his "showing emotions" privileges, apparently. What a crock. I know he can be a repulsive douchebag, but the constant hate gets old.

There's a difference between fired up and crybaby. Fair or unfair, that's the rep Cutler has made for himself.

That's the rep that has been cultivated for him by the media and fans. Cutler simply doesn't care enough to repair his image at this point, since he likely knows it's a losing battle.

I admit openly that he isn't the greatest quarterback out there and his attitude can piss me off, but unfortunately not every QB can be the untouchable god (Rodgers) or lovable champion (Peyton, Brees).

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The ol' soap opera will continue in Dallas where is this team/Romo good enough to get over the hump storylines. Obviously expect ESPN to run stories like this every day now that the ref controversy is over.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Yet Cutler has forfeit his "showing emotions" privileges, apparently. What a crock. I know he can be a repulsive douchebag, but the constant hate gets old.

There's a difference between fired up and crybaby. Fair or unfair, that's the rep Cutler has made for himself.

That's the rep that has been cultivated for him by the media and fans. Cutler simply doesn't care enough to repair his image at this point, since he likely knows it's a losing battle.

I admit openly that he isn't the greatest quarterback out there and his attitude can piss me off, but unfortunately not every QB can be the untouchable god (Rodgers) or lovable champion (Peyton, Brees).

Personally, I like what Cutler does off the field. Saw a feature about how he works with children and so on without trying to bring attention to himself. But on the sidelines, his demeanor just isn't what you associate with successful QBs - even though he wins. That's the sad part. In any case, he's in there with Romo, Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez and so on, the guys who have shown flashes on the field but have to win in the playoffs/SB before they'll be considered elite (and after which they can act however they want). In fact, Mark Sanchez and his pouting over mistakes on Hard Knocks was another example of a guy who hasn't yet shown the kind of leadership qualities you might like in a QB.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

he's in there with Romo/Flacco/Sanchez and so on, the guys who have shown flashes on the field but have to win in the playoffs/SB before they'll be considered elite. In fact, Mark Sanchez and his pouting over mistakes on Hard Knocks was another example of a guy who hasn't yet shown the kind of leadership qualities you might like in a QB.

I'd say that Sanchez is in a lower tier more aligned with Cassell, Henne, Grossman and Kolb.

Hard Knocks exposed Sanchez as someone who really has no desire to be a leader whatsoever. Maybe at USC he could blend in and quietly "do his job," but in the NFL? In New York? No such luck. He's developed as much as he'll ever develop.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Cutler annoyed the crap out of me when he was a Bronco and playing the Chargers twice a year, but I think the rep the media "bestowed" on him borders on ridiculous. Brady yells at a coach or player? He's passionate. Cutler does the same thing? It's "oh there's Jay Cutler up to his old antics again."

I get the "well Cutler doesn't act the way a NFL quarterback should act" sentiment, but at a certain point you (a general you) just have to let it go. "He doesn't act the way I think a QB should" stops being a valid reason to bash the guy after a while. Not everyone at the QB position is going to be the stoic superman the media types love.

Cutler reminds me of this guy in many ways...

george_display_image.jpg?1290035992

That's Jeff George for those too young to remember him. "Petulant" is not a word used to describe successful NFL QBs.

I'm old enough to remember Jeff George. Comparing Jay Cutler to Jeff George is way off the mark. Jeff George was just a bad QB with a bad attitude and no heart. Jay Cutler may be a bit too aloof or a bit too whatever for our tastes, but he's a helluva lot better player than Jeff George ever was. I think Cutler gets far more :censored: than he deserves.

BB52Big.jpg

I also HATED Jay Cutler when he was a Bronco - not just for his pouting, but also for his hypocrisy (he tried to start :censored: with Rivers by laughably calling him a crybaby).

Now that he's in Chicago, I don't really care that much about him anymore, but judging from his time in Denver, his rep as a petulant child is well-earned. Although Josh McDaniels deserves criticism for the end of the Cutler era in Denver, let's not pretend Cutler made a graceful exit.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I also HATED Jay Cutler when he was a Bronco - not just for his pouting, but also for his hypocrisy (he tried to start :censored: with Rivers by laughably calling him a crybaby).

Now that he's in Chicago, I don't really care that much about him anymore, but judging from his time in Denver, his rep as a petulant child is well-earned. Although Josh McDaniels deserves criticism for the end of the Cutler era in Denver, let's not pretend Cutler made a graceful exit.

Yeah because Rivers is such a good sport.

The constant berating of Cutler is ridiculous. Rodgers will throw a fit on the field if he questions a call, Brady has yelled at his OC, and throw in the fact you really don't know what happened between Tice and Cutler during the game. He might not be an "elite" quarterback but if you give the guy time in the pocket, you quickly see what he's capable of.

I think Cutler gets all the crap he does because (right or wrong) he comes across as way too headstrong for someone who doesn't have the success to back it up. It definietly doesn't help when he does things like give the Packers "bulliten board material" and then throws 4 interceptions.

Wes Welker reveals who drew Brady's ire:

“I think it was kind of directed at, towards me and Deion [branch] a little bit," Welker said today on WEEI's Mut and Merloni show. "We were giving him a hard time that his knee was down and we didn’t know what he was doing on the bench over there. He better get his butt up and get back out on the field because his knee was down and so he’s like, ‘what are you talking about, I was in.’ So I think they caught him at a perfect moment where we were just kind of just jawing back and forth and things like that."

twitter

That's Jeff George for those too young to remember him. "Petulant" is not a word used to describe successful NFL QBs.

I'm old enough to remember Jeff George. Comparing Jay Cutler to Jeff George is way off the mark. Jeff George was just a bad QB with a bad attitude and no heart. Jay Cutler may be a bit too aloof or a bit too whatever for our tastes, but he's a helluva lot better player than Jeff George ever was. I think Cutler gets far more :censored: than he deserves.

Tory Aikman's stats

32942 Yards

165 TD's

141 INT's

Jeff George's stats

27602 Yards

154 TD's

113 INT's

One guy is in the Hall the other has no shot. Not saying George was/is better then Aikman. I don't think he is, but for a guy that was a slam dunk Hall of Famer and another who is considered to be a bust, I don't see alot of difference numbers wise. I agree George had a terrible attitude. There was a reason he played for five different teams in his NFL career, but I don't think he was a bad QB by means. I also think the compairison is fair. I don't think the Broncos have regretted letting him go for one second. I'd say both have been above average starters with cannon arms, but zero leadership ability.

Cutler was pissed cause plays were coming in too slow from Tice. Sheds a little light on that out of contex meme. Plus you dont know the conversation before that.

He's in such a microscope it's rediculous. The same thing other QBs are applauded for he is berated. Aaron Rodgers gets in te face of his suck-ass left tackle he's a leader. Cutler does it and he's a douche cause his face looks like he's pouting all the time?

He's in such a microscope it's rediculous. The same thing other QBs are applauded for he is berated. Aaron Rodgers gets in the face of his suck-ass left tackle he's a leader. Cutler does it and he's a douche cause his face looks like he's pouting all the time?

If it was just the media doing this I would say yeah he's getting alot of unfair criticism. But alot of these knocks are coming from former and current players saying Cutler has no clue how to act on the sidelines or hwo to give criticism to a player. There has to be something to that. There's no way every single one of those player can be off base. And for guys that actually played the game, I can't say they don't know what they're talking about. I've also never seen Aaron Rodgers publically rip into an offensive lineman.

The one thing I will say about Jay Cutler in regards to alot of this stuff being overblown is that he does a terrible job of handling the media. You cannot let stuff like that get to you and he clearly does. If he did that I think he would be viewed in a much more positive light. This "you guys are out to get me" approach has never worked with the media and it never will. It may very well be true but you can't say that. You have to pick and choose your battles and I think he does a very poor job of that. If he did that better alot of this stuff might very well go away. Its not right if that's what's happening to him and I think it is on some levels, but its just the nature of the beast.

Rivers gets angry and animated on the field, sometimes to the point of distraction, but Jay Cutler of all people labeling him as a soft crybaby was still laughable.

Firstly, Cutler is also a hothead who struggles to control his emotions. Instead of pointing fingers at others for behaviors he himself is guilty of, maybe he should work on his maturity issues.

Secondly, Rivers played in the AFC title game on a torn ACL. Cutler would never dream of doing that. Rivers has played behind a crap O-line for several years now, giving him very little time in the pocket and leaving him vulnerable to big hits... yet, with the exception of last year, Rivers is statistically one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. For Cutler to make Rivers out to be some soft crybaby was as wrong as it was hypocritical.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Rivers gets angry and animated on the field, sometimes to the point of distraction, but Jay Cutler of all people labeling him as a soft crybaby was still laughable.

Firstly, Cutler is also a hothead who struggles to control his emotions. Instead of pointing fingers at others for behaviors he himself is guilty of, maybe he should work on his maturity issues.

Secondly, Rivers played in the AFC title game on a torn ACL. Cutler would never dream of doing that. Rivers has played behind a crap O-line for several years now, giving him very little time in the pocket and leaving him vulnerable to big hits... yet, with the exception of last year, Rivers is statistically one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. For Cutler to make Rivers out to be some soft crybaby was as wrong as it was hypocritical.

And Cutler plays with Diabetes, which he found out he had at age 24.

He could be a sympathetic figure or a bigger spokesperson for the condition off the field, but he does not care to. That is not a indictment of him, it is just how he lives his life.

Tory Aikman's stats

32942 Yards

165 TD's

141 INT's

Jeff George's stats

27602 Yards

154 TD's

113 INT's

One guy is in the Hall the other has no shot. Not saying George was/is better then Aikman. I don't think he is, but for a guy that was a slam dunk Hall of Famer and another who is considered to be a bust, I don't see alot of difference numbers wise. I agree George had a terrible attitude. There was a reason he played for five different teams in his NFL career, but I don't think he was a bad QB by means. I also think the compairison is fair. I don't think the Broncos have regretted letting him go for one second. I'd say both have been above average starters with cannon arms, but zero leadership ability.

Hush, Whitlock.

/Playing in a run 'n shoot does wonders for your stats.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's simple and as sad as it is in today's game. Win and people will get off your back. I mean it took 2 Super Bowls for people to shutup about Eli, he's different though.

Until Cutler shows he has the ability to win later in the year, you'll have to hear all the flac he's getting.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Tory Aikman's stats

32942 Yards

165 TD's

141 INT's

Jeff George's stats

27602 Yards

154 TD's

113 INT's

Keep in mind that Aikman had to share most of the offensive load with Emmitt freakin' Smith. If Aikman played in a pass-first offense like George did for most of his career, Aikman's numbers would more-than-likely look much better alongside George's.

Now, this isn't to say that Jeff George was a bad QB (he had an abundance of talent but it never really "clicked" with him mostly due to that terrible attitude of his) so your point does kind of stand, but comparing him to a legit Hall of Famer is a bit much.

Archived