New NFL collars are winning on the field

hecticbro

So those absolutely hideous new NFL collars seem to be effective for some reason.

The most disappointing teams in the league are the few teams which refused to implement them. The Packers and Lions - two dominant playoff teams from last season - have losing records. The Patriots are just one game over .500! Am I missing anyone?

Clearly, there is a correlation. But why? I don't understand what those godawful things actually do, but I can't argue with results.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The collars are designed to lay flat and not get stretched out when pulled over pads. They always stay tight. It prevents having a place for opposing players to grab on to during a tackle or block. From a visual standpoint they help keep the jersey nice and tight and in place. It also uses much less material than previous collars and is therefore lighter. I'm sure the design doesn't have to be so drastic that's probably a Nike decision to draw attention to it and make it a talking point, draw attention to the jersey. But those are the functional reasons.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

If you actually believe that a new collar is fully responsible for the win/loss records of teams, then I'm not sure what to say. Also, not sure what you're talking about the Lions, they fully implemented the Elite 51 tech with Flywire. And those 5-0 Falcons! What with their vintage 2011 technology...they sure must be working overtime to overcome their severe disadvantage!

So those absolutely hideous new NFL collars seem to be effective for some reason.

The most disappointing teams in the league are the few teams which refused to implement them. The Packers and Lions - two dominant playoff teams from last season - have losing records. The Patriots are just one game over .500! Am I missing anyone?

Clearly, there is a correlation. But why? I don't understand what those godawful things actually do, but I can't argue with results.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I hope not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I hope not.

Reminds of the 2006 Winter Olympics, where Sweden, one of the two teams to not wear Nike's new Swift uniforms, won the gold medal. The other non-Swift team, Switzerland, did surprisingly well, too. Had to be the uniforms!

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The Lions have those stupid collars? I hadn't noticed. Then why are they so terrible?

And one of the teams that doesn't have flywire, which you neglected to mention, is the undefeated Texans. You point was stupid to begin with, but it's extra stupid because you didn't even get the facts right.

The collars are designed to lay flat and not get stretched out when pulled over pads. They always stay tight. It prevents having a place for opposing players to grab on to during a tackle or block. From a visual standpoint they help keep the jersey nice and tight and in place. It also uses much less material than previous collars and is therefore lighter. I'm sure the design doesn't have to be so drastic that's probably a Nike decision to draw attention to it and make it a talking point, draw attention to the jersey. But those are the functional reasons.

From a visual standpoint they look terrible. Even aside from the broken collar look, Nike decided to make the neck openings gigantic in these jerseys, so you see the pads of every single player. It looks terrible on its own, and it also further decreases the jersey space on rapidly shrinking jersey. Between the sleeves shrinking and the collar opening getting larger, the players are going to be wearing tanktops in five years. Oh, and the silly collar also gives opposing players access to the pads, allowing them to get fingers under pads when holding or making tackles.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Lions have those stupid collars? I hadn't noticed. Then why are they so terrible?

And one of the teams that doesn't have flywire, which you neglected to mention, is the undefeated Texans. You point was stupid to begin with, but it's extra stupid because you didn't even get the facts right.

The Texans actually DO have the flywire collars, but his point was indeed stupid.

nfl_nike_texans_576.jpg

image.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The Texans actually DO have the flywire collars, but his point was indeed stupid.

nfl_nike_texans_576.jpg

Look closely - they are using the basic collar shape, but not the flywire construction within it.

Archived