When Adding Black Actually Works

illwauk

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When adding black actually works for me:

1. Ohio State Buckeyes- The black adds some contrasts to the scarlet and grey to make the uniform pop
  2. Arizona State- The black outline on the gold numbers makes the maroon uniform one of the best in college football
  3. North Carolina- I hated the all-black uniform at first, but has grown on me so fast, it actually became my favorite uniform for them
  4. Pittsburgh Penguins- Once the Pens changed the light blue to black, the rest became history
  5. '66-67 Texas Western (UTEP) Miners- I took the literal route with this one like the Admiral did with the '47 Dodgers. Besides, they did beat Rupp's All-white UK team for the National Championship and please watch "Glory Road" to see what I mean.

1385837001000-USATSI-7589181.jpg

hi-res-450372825-defensive-tackle-will-s

BaVlF-iCYAETx3m.jpg

Mario1992_display_image.jpg?1305520417

Texas-Western.jpg

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Chicago White Sox went from red to all black.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

No. That didn't work at all.

Explain. Because when people bring up the Bartman Game and the Marlins, the 1st colors brought up are those menacing teal and black unis.

It might not work aesthetically, but it's an important part of sports history, engrained into the minds of people trying to reminisce about the night of October 14, 2003.

No. That didn't work at all.

Explain. Because when people bring up the Bartman Game and the Marlins, the 1st colors brought up are those menacing teal and black unis.

It might not work aesthetically, but it's an important part of sports history, engrained into the minds of people trying to reminisce about the night of October 14, 2003.

Then they don't belong in this thread. What happened when they were worn doesn't affect the design. Did the LA "Burger King" jerseys work because Gretzky wore them? It was a "right/wrong place, right/wrong time" situation with those uniforms, and that's probably why anyone remembers them at all....not because they looked good.

(And jeez, the Bartman incident happened on my birthday??? Huh.)

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The Devils make too much sense to me for them to have ever worn green. I don't get it.

The green could be seen as a nod to New Jersey's Italian population.

It could also reference the state's forests, which are said to be the home of the team's namesake, the Jersey Devil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil#Popular_culture

It's also why the "fire and brimstone" thing associated with the addition to black doesn't really work for me. They aren't named after the Devil from Judeo-Christian mythology,

eh I disagree with this. Even though they're obviously named after the jersey devil myth, from day 1 they've always had that other type of devil imagery as they're logo. The jersey devil doesn't look anything like what the devils branding represents - even with the green.
goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Wisconsin adding black elements to the road football set was a strong move. The black face masks, stripes and shoes complemented the black drop-shadow on the Motion W.

b99123591z.1_20131019235719_000_gji31q7h

Although this was the most extensive use of black on a football jersey, Wisconsin has been using black for decades, even prior to the Motion W:

Bucky_Badger.jpg

Wisconsin.jpg

And, as you can tell from my signature, I would be in favor of black helmets (albeit over a monochrome red jersey/pants combo).

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

On 12/24/2013 at 11:33 PM, doctorpeligro said:

Wisconsin adding black elements to the road football set was a strong move. The black face masks, stripes and shoes complemented the black drop-shadow on the Motion W.

Although this was the most extensive use of black on a football jersey, Wisconsin has been using black for decades, even prior to the Motion W:

I don't agree. I like the first red helmet before they added black MUCH better.

Of course, you'll seldom run into a fan that even realizes they wore two different red helmet designs this year.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived