When Adding Black Actually Works

illwauk

How about the '80 Penguins when they switched from shades of blue to black and gold! It hurts when I see those 49er unis because they were brought up to the modern era so nicely and discarded for that beige, gray, and bland mess they wear now.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the '80 Penguins when they switched from shades of blue to black and gold! It hurts when I see those 49er unis because they were brought up to the modern era so nicely and discarded for that beige, gray, and bland mess they wear now.

Well yeah but...DOOD...DEY WHUN CHAMPEEYUNSHIPZZ IN DOZE!!!!!4321

For the record, I much preferred the previous set as well...all they had to do was brighten the red some, utilize a true braisher on the pants to match their helmets, and pull that logo off the jersey sleeves, and they'd have been good to go. (And I'll spare the shameless plug this time. :P)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not exactly. Though I will say...if they had the darker gold they used to wear, it'd look a million times better.

I meant the--aw bump it, something more like this, with the previous-era numbers minus the inner gold trim--or with the Clarendon-ish digits if one prefers ***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***

SF49ers_PChome.png

SF49ers_PCaway.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I thought BYU's introduction of black trim in the mid-90s looked okay (inspired, of course, by the success of favorite BYU son Steve Young and the 1995 49ers). It wasn't necessary, and it didn't really look better, but I would still say it worked.

Cotton974.jpgbyu-utah.jpg

Sreve+Young+SI+1.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Have to Agree it worked for the New Jersey Devils--it gave them a good look.

But I disagree with the North Stars--they looked better without the black--it really looked like BFBS to me.

their previous non back unis were the best use ever of green in a sports uniform.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Pretty much what it says in the subject line. Post examples of the instances you think the addition of black to the uniform of a team that didn't tradtionally use it actually worked out.

The first example I could think of... huge mistake for the Niners to move away from these.

4666.gif

I do miss these. Great look.

I would actually argue that this 49ers look and the Lions current look are two of the worst looks the franchises have ever had. IMO both teams should have stayed with these:

34_1.jpgbarry-sanders-1.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The Devils make too much sense to me for them to have ever worn green. I don't get it. They're the Devils, they're supposed to give off that "fire and brimstone" feel, etc, red and black is perfect for them.

The green ones are cool as an occasional throwback though.

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

The Devils make too much sense to me for them to have ever worn green. I don't get it.

The green could be seen as a nod to New Jersey's Italian population.

It could also reference the state's forests, which are said to be the home of the team's namesake, the Jersey Devil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil#Popular_culture

It's also why the "fire and brimstone" thing associated with the addition to black doesn't really work for me. They aren't named after the Devil from Judeo-Christian mythology,

On 10/29/2012 at 0:07 AM, njmeadowlanders said:

Posted this in another thread:

Very subtle but very effective.

Seeing all these pictures tells me one thing. I almost never like the addition of black. This above photo is an exception. You can just have green and white, but for some reason, this just looks great. Best look the Jets have had.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That is probably the worst Caps jersey of all time; even worse than the current mess and the old clownsuits.

Now, give me the blue "checkmarks" any day.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived