When Adding Black Actually Works

illwauk

The Devils make too much sense to me for them to have ever worn green. I don't get it.

The green could be seen as a nod to New Jersey's Italian population.

It could also reference the state's forests, which are said to be the home of the team's namesake, the Jersey Devil.

http://en.wikipedia....Popular_culture

It's also why the "fire and brimstone" thing associated with the addition to black doesn't really work for me. They aren't named after the Devil from Judeo-Christian mythology,

I actually believe the green is a nod to New Jersey's pine barrens, which is where the supposed Jersey Devil lives. (I'm from near the pines)

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is probably the worst Caps jersey of all time; even worse than the current mess and the old clownsuits.

Now, give me the blue "checkmarks" any day.

The white version was great, but those blues were just awful. Granted, the flying eagle is a superior logo, but that shade of blue was just horrid. It worked fine as an accent, but looked hideous as the primary colour on a jersey.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Adding black works when its already part of the color pallet.

Can we start a new cliche now... gray for gray's sake?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The Devils make too much sense to me for them to have ever worn green. I don't get it.

The green could be seen as a nod to New Jersey's Italian population.

It could also reference the state's forests, which are said to be the home of the team's namesake, the Jersey Devil.

http://en.wikipedia....Popular_culture

It's also why the "fire and brimstone" thing associated with the addition to black doesn't really work for me. They aren't named after the Devil from Judeo-Christian mythology,

Bingo!

c37be5bad62bc74d.jpg

:wub:

Absolutely beautiful! Miles better than the quasi futuristic fauxback garbage they wear now.

Posted this in another thread:

boomer-esiason-with-jets.jpg

Very subtle but very effective.

Not a fan of these; their currents are much better. These uniforms just makes them look like they're trying to be the Roughriders.

Yes, the current ones are better. That's not the topic though. What's above with the black added is much better than this:

76-04530-F.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Post examples of the instances you think the addition of black to the uniform of a team that didn't tradtionally use it actually worked out.

Love these uniforms, wish Phoenix would wear them more often though.

rscofrdgel1s46mz8qb9h7rfg.gif

The Coyotes wore black jerseys from 1996 to 2003.

tumblr_m2cxy8GUGA1qaax88o1_1280.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have to disagree on this. Neither the green helmet JETS logo nor the white helmet oval NY Jets logo is a winner, they both stink to high heaven, but of the two uniform sets, I think the green helmet look is better. In an age where shoulder stripes do not loop to the armpit (e.g. Colts, UCLA) it is not a good idea to have a uniform which depends on shoulder stripes unless you do what the Texans do and clip them.

Add to this the fact that Nike cannot match the greens, so you end up with a dull grey green on one part of the shoulder and a slightly brighter green on another and the Jets are just a huge mess.

Give me the Boomer/NY Sack Exchange look any day of the week.

Archived