Panthers black pants

Mevins31

I found this on the teams official site. Does it sound like the black pants are the new primary look for the Carolina Panthers or a 'once in a while thing'?

ALL-BLACK PANTHERS: For the first time in franchise history, the Panthers wore black pants, a change that surprised players and treated fans to a new look.

"We've worn our white uniforms for the last five weeks and just recently got the black pants in," equipment manager Jackie Miles said. "The players did not even know we had them in stock."

Miles said the team planned on wearing the black pants for the final two home games of the season but decided to break them out after a two-game road trip.

In the days leading up to the game, Miles and his staff had the traditional silver pants hanging in the players' lockers, but arrived at the stadium early Sunday morning to switch the pants.

The option on whether to wear black or blue socks was left up to veteran wide receiver and team captain Steve Smith, who opted for blue in order to give the Panthers a more unique appearance.

"I really liked the way it looked," said Miles, noting that both the Jaguars and Saints featured an all-black look with black socks in their respective primetime games this past week.

"When the players showed up today and saw what was laid out, they were pretty excited," Miles said. "They were going crazy. They thought it was great and were very surprised."

Defensive end Charles Johnson said, "I'm not going to lie – I love it. It's a new thing, but, hopefully, we can keep doing it."

Fortunately for Johnson, Miles confirmed that the team would likely wear black pants again this season.

"I'll have to sit down with (President) Danny Morrison, and (Owner/Founder) Mr. Richardson will of course have to approve it, but I'm sure we'll wear them again."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is one of those things that'll be left to the whim of the equipment manager and/or players. Now that the players know about them they may request to wear them again. They've already said they're wearing them for their last two home games and they only have 3 home games left. If I had to guess I'd say they'll be in silver pants next Sunday and I'd also be willing to bet that they take them on the road with them for at least one road game.

They will probably wear their silver pants again, but I think these black pants will become a permanent part of the uniform as an alternate choice.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I for one liked the black pants/black jersey look, especially with the blue socks. The socks really made that set stand out. I'm not saying they should use the black pants full time, but only rarely and occasionally.

This is just my opinion but I don't think the black pants would look good with the white jerseys. They might work out with their blue jerseys though.

I'd say only with black jersey. Wearing black pants with a silver helmet and white jersey may look weird. See the Patriots roads to get an idea. And the silver helmet over blue jersey with black pants would look somewhat like the Titans home look, which is hideous. Now at least the Panthers had enough sense to go with blue socks instead of black, so it helps make it good for a once in awhile look. The pants themselves looked good, but that doesn't always mean they'll look good with a certain jersey and helmet.

Were these in the Style Guide this year? Just curious.

According to Paul Lukas at Uni-watch, they were not. But as he pointed out to me, neither were the Redskins yellow pants.

If you read the quotes from the equipment manager of the Panthers, some things don't make sense.

For instance, if the original plan was already to wear them the final two home games of the season; but they jumped the gun and wore them early (the first home game they wore the black tops) then what's with the quote "I'll need to get it approved by the owner and president but I'm pretty sure we'll wear them again"? Aren't they already approved?

Cannot figure out if this is the new full-time home look of the Panthers when they wear the black jerseys but my opinion is the NFL doesn't need another team going black on black monochrome. I mean we have the jags, saints, bengals, Ravens already trying that look.

I always loved how the Panthers never caved to uniform changes.

See that's one thing I must give the panthers ( Being a Jaguars fan) they picked a design & stuck with it. Think about it took them 18 years to finally get to black pants even as where the Jags have had multiple different uniforms and combinations In the same time.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

The option on whether to wear black or blue socks was left up to veteran wide receiver and team captain Steve Smith, who opted for blue in order to give the Panthers a more unique appearance.

tumblr_mc7zxuK1bm1qfybz2.gif

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Man the panthers are the one team that I think would look great with a matte black helmet. They need to simplify their uniforms and I think they'd look great.

If yet kept the pants stripe the width it is on top and carried that all the way down to make a straight stripe and then mimicked that on the helmet it would look great IMO.

As I said before, the Panthers' black uniforms (with the silver pants) are among the best in football. It's extremely dumb that they wear the white uniforms at home so much. Instead of us seeing that uniform more, we are going to see it less. The black monochrome look was very, very bad. Yes, it was much better than it would have been with the black socks, but it was still terrible. So now instead of the four or so times a year we would get to see the black jerseys with the silver pants, we will see this crap.

The black pants absolutely didn't need to happen. They look bad with the black jerseys, and they would look completely amateurish with the blue jerseys. And the mock-up above confirms what I thought - they don't really look good with the white jerseys, either. It's too strange having each uniform element in a different color. Maybe these would work better with white striped socks. In reality, the only change the Panthers needed was to wear the silver pants full-time.

The black pants would work with the white jersey if they had a black helmet, but the helmet shouldn't be changed. The Panthers' set is a modern classic. I was very glad that they didn't mess up the uniforms when they revamped the logo. It's a shame they added the black pants and screwed up the look for the hell of it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As I said before, the Panthers' black uniforms (with the silver pants) are among the best in football. It's extremely dumb that they wear the white uniforms at home so much. Instead of us seeing that uniform more, we are going to see it less. The black monochrome look was very, very bad. Yes, it was much better than it would have been with the black socks, but it was still terrible. So now instead of the four or so times a year we would get to see the black jerseys with the silver pants, we will see this crap.

The black pants absolutely didn't need to happen. They look bad with the black jerseys, and they would look completely amateurish with the blue jerseys. And the mock-up above confirms what I thought - they don't really look good with the white jerseys, either. It's too strange having each uniform element in a different color. Maybe these would work better with white striped socks. In reality, the only change the Panthers needed was to wear the silver pants full-time.

The black pants would work with the white jersey if they had a black helmet, but the helmet shouldn't be changed. The Panthers' set is a modern classic. I was very glad that they didn't mess up the uniforms when they revamped the logo. It's a shame they added the black pants and screwed up the look for the hell of it.

Agree 1000% man!

But what makes you so sure they'll never wear the classic home set (black jersey/silver pants) anymore? What makes you so certain the black jerseys aren't a 1 or 2 times a year thing? Keep in mind they could wear the black pants with the away jersey or with the alt blue! Which is my hope

I don't mind the black pants. In fact, what I saw yesterday was really nice. But I think that it's only good if I saw it once a year. Their current black on silver is very good and I would like to see that remain as the primary. The all white is fine too but I wish they didn't wear it so often.

With that said, I actually like the current set a lot and I hope they don't change it. If they wear the black pants with the black jersey once a year, I'm fine with it too. But other than that, I hope no other changes are made

Go A's!

Archived