Niketown USA in NYC - Disappointing

BlueSky

While in NYC recently I had the chance to visit Nike's flagship store, Niketown. What a disappointment (aside from discovering where the mannequins from the NFL unveiling went). Wouldn't you expect that store to have the best selection of Nike NFL gear anywhere? That's they'd have some of everything Nike makes for fans, even if not from every team? Uh, no. They had sections dedicated to the Giants and Jets and some merchandise from other teams but nowhere near what I expected and nowhere close to all the stuff they sell. Oh well. Here are a few pics I shot there:

The troops are lined up right inside the front door:

IMG_6690.jpg

IMG_6697.jpg

There are more guys manning the wall. Guess Harbaugh hasn't made them change the Niner model into a #7 jersey yet.

IMG_6705.jpg

In case you wondered about that piece that intrudes on the pants stripes, apparently it's a change pocket and this Bear has a bunch of spare nickels. B)

IMG_6698.jpg

Did you guys know the Eagles have this tiny middle stripe? I didn't.

IMG_6704.jpg

Also didn't know the Rams' helmet horns are sparkly:

IMG_6694.jpg

Random shot of jersey detail:

IMG_6693.jpg

Obligatory Saints shot:

IMG_6696.jpg

The visit was a bust overall but it was still pretty cool to see the game unis up close.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I felt the same when I visited the NHL store. I was pumped to get some player tees, but when I went, they had none. Only overpriced jerseys and hoodies.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Niketown stores are often disappointing. The one in Portland recently changed to just "Nike Portland" and downsized the store. There was a selection of almost all NFL teams t-shirts and jerseys but it was limited to like one or two designs. The store is still pretty cool to be in but definitely underwhelming.

I also went to Niketown San Fransisco when I was there last month and that was also kinda ho hum. It was pretty much what I expected though.

Did you guys know the Eagles have this tiny middle stripe? I didn't.

IMG_6704.jpg

Yeah, I knew it was there... I just don't know why. I think the midnight green is an ugly color compaired to the old bright kelly green, but that stupid charcole is the worst! Why is that there? Like the charcole outline on the numbers, it just muddies up the overall look, and adds nothing. Its way to close in value and saturation to the already too dark green. There's silver on the helmet (no charcole anywhere) and silver on the sleeve logo... why add charcole? Change the small charcole details to silver and the Eagles look would improve quite a bit. I'd still rather have kelly, personally, but without the pointless dark gray the uniform wouldn't be such a complete mess.

Interesting finds with the Eagles and Rams!

The best 'league shop' is by far the NBA Store on 5th Ave, very impressive selection of just about everything.

If you're in NY and in need of some sports gear, why not stop by your local good ol' Mo's?

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

Interesting finds with the Eagles and Rams!

The best 'league shop' is by far the NBA Store on 5th Ave, very impressive selection of just about everything.

If you're in NY and in need of some sports gear, why not stop by your local good ol' Mo's?

Agreed on thr NBA Store. I don't even follow the NBA closely, and I spent at least an hour in there. The NHL Store, as Brass mentioned, is underwhelming. It was nice stuff, just all of the expensive stuff.

Thanks for posting these. Yes, I did know about the Eagles' tiny stripe.

The close ups of the Revo Speed helmets just further my feelings that it's overdesigned and ugly, but I degress.

I'll have to check out the store here in Chicago. It's been years.

If they ditched the vents and strange folds in the shell, It'd be great.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The close ups of the Revo Speed helmets just further my feelings that it's overdesigned and ugly, but I degress.

Cool redesign, it's only been reopened two months. They have the logos of Chicagoland area high schools on the walls by 1-2 floor escalators, and then city-specific logos on the higher floors. Nike is really attentive to each local market.

As for apparel selection, it's certainly not the best, especially when it comes to fan gear. But there's no better place to find the Nike Sportswear line (especially the more limited pieces) that only hits the website and scattered boutiques around the country. I'm not going to pickup something I can order from Eastbay or Football Fanatics.

Niketown stores are often disappointing. The one in Portland recently changed to just "Nike Portland" and downsized the store. There was a selection of almost all NFL teams t-shirts and jerseys but it was limited to like one or two designs. The store is still pretty cool to be in but definitely underwhelming.

I also went to Niketown San Fransisco when I was there last month and that was also kinda ho hum. It was pretty much what I expected though.

Because Niketown San Francisco will be undergoing the same remake and rebranding the Portland and Chicago stores had. The plan for the SF store was made in May and was going to occur within 12-14 months and would take up to six months to complete. It seems that they will keep their location as opposed to move spots as they did in Portland. .

Because Niketown San Francisco will be undergoing the same remake and rebranding the Portland and Chicago stores had. The plan for the SF store was made in May and was going to occur within 12-14 months and would take up to six months to complete. It seems that they will keep their location as opposed to move spots as they did in Portland. .

That's slightly disappointing. I liked the Niketown name. At least I got to go in one one last time though.

Yea I knew about the Charcoal stripe for the eagles...but didn't know about the rams horns...I guess it's because they play at least 9 of their games in a dome it just went unnoticed.

Midnight teal Green is such an awful color. And charcoal doesn't help it in the slightest. Hopefully we get a whole new look since we are terrible this year and starting a new era in 2013.

Yea I knew about the Charcoal stripe for the eagles...but didn't know about the rams horns...I guess it's because they play at least 9 of their games in a dome it just went unnoticed.

Midnight teal Green is such an awful color. And charcoal doesn't help it in the slightest. Hopefully we get a whole new look since we are terrible this year and starting a new era in 2013.

It's pretty subtle even in shots where you'd expect to see it.

6740954.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I had that issue at the Nike store in Hanover, MD. I went there thinking they would have the best selection of Redkins and Revens gear and they had one small 3' x 3' rack that had $35 Ravens t-shirts. The selection at Modell's around the corner from that store 1000X larger with more than just Ravens and Redskins.

You spend what they spend for that NFL contract and you expect it to be an ALL NFL store and shoes.

I'm not sure why there's so much surprise about Nike stores' NFL selection. It's not like Nike stores are NFL only retail outlets. They're a showcase for the brand, which is far deeper than just the NFL. Jerseys may be a big deal to us, but within the Nike universe they're just one small piece of the pie.

I'm not sure why there's so much surprise about Nike stores' NFL selection. It's not like Nike stores are NFL only retail outlets. They're a showcase for the brand, which is far deeper than just the NFL. Jerseys may be a big deal to us, but within the Nike universe they're just one small piece of the pie.

But why spend ELEVENTY BILLION dollars on a contract and not have a presence in your own stores. I have been to Reebok stores that were pretty much NFL city, in that it was 90% of the mens apparel in the store.

My gripe about Nike and that is my same about how Adidas is so beneficial to MLS but I go to Adidas stores and they have nothing....

Cool redesign, it's only been reopened two months. They have the logos of Chicagoland area high schools on the walls by 1-2 floor escalators, and then city-specific logos on the higher floors. Nike is really attentive to each local market.

That's true -- the Boston location is decked out in Boston Marathon paraphernalia. My complaint, though, is that you'd think that would be a good place to find international soccer jerseys... but apart from a few choice options for USA, Brazil, Man Utd and Celtic, no luck.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

But why spend ELEVENTY BILLION dollars on a contract and not have a presence in your own stores. I have been to Reebok stores that were pretty much NFL city, in that it was 90% of the mens apparel in the store.

My gripe about Nike and that is my same about how Adidas is so beneficial to MLS but I go to Adidas stores and they have nothing....

OK, but the complaints I'm hearing in this post aren't that Nike isn't showcasing its NFL gear, it's that it's not showcasing all of it. That's a big difference. Every Nike story I've visited -- including the new Portland one, which is a block away from me -- has a dedicated selection of NFL gear. It's just really limited to only a certain styles or a handful of teams.

It's not an NFL store, just like the ones in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and elsewhere aren't NFL stores. There's only so much floor space in a retail store in which the intent is to showcase the entirety of the brand.

Plus, the NFL deal will likely be a several hundred-million-dollar business for Nike, while its running and basketball businesses generate sales in the billions. The NFL deal is more about enhancing the brand's status, connecting it with the world's best athletes, than it is about driving sales of jerseys.

The NFL may seem like a big deal to fans, but to Nike it's one of several arrows in its quiver.

Archived