New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever stare into the eyes of the Loup Garou while camping out in the Bayou? I have. You make two movements, a bowel movement and a physical movement. :censored: and get.

I'm all for the identity being based off the Loup Garou simply for the Rodrigue inspired jerseys and branding that would come from it.

I may just buy one of his Blue Dog paintings now. Would make for a good conversation piece here in Chicago.

Be careful, the MLS has had higher average attendance than the NBA and the NHL for the past 2 years.

MLS stadia are also larger than NBA and NHL arenas.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Be careful, the MLS has had higher average attendance than the NBA and the NHL for the past 2 years.

Right but if the NBA or NHL could draw more, they'd build larger arenas. Soccer has the bigger upside.

But the point was simply that discounting the MLS as a "minor" league simply isn't true.

Right but if the NBA or NHL could draw more, they'd build larger arenas. Soccer has the bigger upside.

No, because you don't have to build a goddamn roof on the soccer field. Which means you have more money, space, and resources available for seats.

And the MLS will continue to be a minor league so long as the best US talent plays in Europe along with the rest of the world's best.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not only that, but there are far more games for NBA and NHL. Even the best teams wouldn't pull 30,000 for every one of their 41 home games, but even horrible teams can pull 60,000 plus for 8 home football games.

Very false. If NBA and NHL arenas were any bigger there would be horrible seats that no one in their right mind would sit in. Soccer fields are much bigger than basketball courts/hockey rinks, hence more seats with good views of the larger field.

90758391980.gif

In my defence, I don't think anyone outside of New Orleans would know what "Krewe" means, but I also don't want a Mardi Gras theme. That's been played to death.

A mardi gras color scheme for N.O. would be almost as played out as using the colors of the local flag...

Very false. If NBA and NHL arenas were any bigger there would be horrible seats that no one in their right mind would sit in. Soccer fields are much bigger than basketball courts/hockey rinks, hence more seats with good views of the larger field.

I don't see what I said as being "very false" at all. The NBA is having trouble filling their existing arenas.

Honestly, I'm not sure why there is such a fear of soccer on this board. Admit that it is growing in popularity in the USA and welcome it. It's not a bad thing.

And back to the point, a localized name will work just fine in the NBA just as it does in every other league... including the MLS.

I don't see what I said as being "very false" at all. The NBA is having trouble filling their existing arenas.

Honestly, I'm not sure why there is such a fear of soccer on this board. Admit that it is growing in popularity in the USA and welcome it. It's not a bad thing.

And back to the point, a localized name will work just fine in the NBA just as it does in every other league... including the MLS.

His point is pretty much on the money. Soccer, football, and to a somewhat lesser extent, baseball are much more conducive to large seating capacities when compared to hockey/hoops, given the size of the fields of play. Comparing MLS attendance to NBA/NHL attendance is apples to oranges. NHL and NBA, even if they reached NFL levels of popularity would not build 80,000-seat arenas. NASCAR has the biggest capacities. That does not make it more beloved than the NFL.

However, I admit to furthering a tangent here...

As for "Sounders" vs. these "local" New Orleans names, I prefer Sounders, but not because of the popularity of the sports (or even because Soccer tends to have less conventional names). Even if you don't "get" Sounders right away, once it's explained as analogous to "Islanders", it instantly becomes a solid name (at least, that was my experience) and it becomes much less "local". Yeah, most of us don't live near a sound (or an island), but the name rings about geography you can find in various places. Rougarou and Krewe remain "too local" after the explanation. "Krewe" will continue to give people the "slang" vibe forever while I feel like (and it's just my gut) Rougarou will be difficult for people to "just get used to", kind of like "Wild." Add the "s" vs. "no s" factor, and Sounders is just flat out superior to those other names.

Please, please, just go with Pelicans.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

god, the Triple-A Soccer people and their attendance propaganda, it never ends, does it?

Propaganda? Facts are facts, soccer is growing in the USA while the NBA and NHL are not. And, I still don't get why so many are threatened by soccer on this board. Is it really such a horrible thing that soccer is becoming popular in the USA?

god, the Triple-A Soccer people and their attendance propaganda, it never ends, does it?

Propaganda? Facts are facts, soccer is growing in the USA while the NBA and NHL are not.

Yes, but you're lying at heart and you know it when you trumpet things like "higher average attendance" for larger venues at lower price points. Your league is not on the level of the NBA. Be real. I don't care if soccer grows, just stop being so misleading about its actual growth. That's what I can't stand.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe some of them do, but others don't.

In this day when virtually everyone carries an encyclopedia in their pocket, are we really concerned that a regionalism will somehow cause massive confusion?

People don't wanna educate themselves...they're too busy using that pocket device to waste brain cells on Facebook.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Propaganda? Facts are facts, soccer is growing in the USA while the NBA and NHL are not.

Yes, but you're lying at heart and you know it when you trumpet things like "higher average attendance" for larger venues at lower price points. Your league is not on the level of the NBA. Be real. I don't care if soccer grows, just stop being so misleading about its actual growth. That's what I can't stand.

So are you saying that the NBA and NHL are growing in attendance while the MLS is decreasing? That simply isn't true. Sure the MLS isn't the NBA but it's closer than it's ever been and growing while the NBA is not. There is nothing misleading about that is there?

The NBA is growing exponentially on an international level, which will serve to ballast the league as gate revenues drop in marginal markets. The NHL had experienced record growth in the last few years before they hung a "closed for union-busting" sign on the door; they could still see huge gains in Canadian television revenue when those rights go up for bids soon.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hey guys, at one point not so long ago the Arena Football League used to brag about the highest arena capacity percentage in the nation. Look, I'm glad soccer is finally growing after so many false starts, and I even enjoy a Fire game now and then, but let's not go overboard.

I'd love to argue that MLB is bigger than the NFL because they play 162 instead of 16 and that the football fanbase is just a mythical mix of gamblers, fantasy players and casual fans... but that's just not true. Baseball is just my personal preference.

Archived