New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

And back to the point, a localized name will work just fine in the NBA just as it does in every other league... including the MLS.

Yeah man there's that real local tie-in in "Real Salt Lake," "Sporting KC", "Chivas USA," "Houston Dynamo," "New York Red Bulls", and the ever-popular "F.C."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

god, the Triple-A Soccer people and their attendance propaganda, it never ends, does it?

Propaganda? Facts are facts, soccer is growing in the USA while the NBA and NHL are not.

Yes, but you're lying at heart and you know it when you trumpet things like "higher average attendance" for larger venues at lower price points. Your league is not on the level of the NBA. Be real. I don't care if soccer grows, just stop being so misleading about its actual growth. That's what I can't stand.

Not necessarily. Most of the MLS play in venues that are comprable in size to an arena.

And back to the point, a localized name will work just fine in the NBA just as it does in every other league... including the MLS.

Yeah man there's that real local tie-in in "Real Salt Lake," "Sporting KC", "Chivas USA," "Houston Dynamo," "New York Red Bulls", and the ever-popular "F.C."

You may have missed my original point pages ago that an MLS team, Seattle Sounders, does extremely well with merchandise sales even though they have a name with a local tie-in (I didn't mention any others). After which that point was discounted by those on the board that don't consider the MLS a legitimate league.

Too bad there is no way to actually know but I would bet Rougarou merchandise would outsell Pelicans 2 to 1.

god, the Triple-A Soccer people and their attendance propaganda, it never ends, does it?

Propaganda? Facts are facts, soccer is growing in the USA while the NBA and NHL are not.

Yes, but you're lying at heart and you know it when you trumpet things like "higher average attendance" for larger venues at lower price points. Your league is not on the level of the NBA. Be real. I don't care if soccer grows, just stop being so misleading about its actual growth. That's what I can't stand.

Not necessarily. Most of the MLS play in venues that are comprable in size to an arena.

But they play no where near as much home games as NBA teams do. Casual NBA fans are only going to want to watch a good team play theirs(unless their team is good). I admit that soccers has probably the second most passionate fans after football, so the fans are going to want to make it to as many of the few home games as possible.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

BBVA Compass Stadium (Houston Dynamo)- 22,000

BC Place (Vancouver Whitecaps)- 21,000

BMO Field (Toronto FC) - 21,859

Buck Shaw Stadium (San Jose Earthquakes)- 10,525

CenturyLink Field (Seattle Sounders)- 38,500

Columbus Crew Stadium (Columbus Crew)- 20,145

Dick's Sporting Goods Park (Colorado Rapids)- 18,086

FC Dallas Stadium (FC Dallas)- 20,500

Gillette Stadium (New England Revolution)- 20,000

The Home Depot Center (LA Galaxy and Chivas USA)- 27,000 (LAG), 18,800 (CHV)

JELD-WEN Field (Portland Timbers)- 20,438

Livestrong Sporting Park (Sporting KC) 18,467

PPL Park (Philadelphia Union)- 18,500

RFK Stadium (DC United)- 19,647

Red Bull Arena (NY Red Bulls)- 25,000

Rio Tinto Stadium (Real Salt Lake)- 20,213

Saputo Stadium (Montreal Impact)- 20,521

Toyota Park (Chicago Fire)- 20,000

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Too bad there is no way to actually know but I would bet Rougarou merchandise would outsell Pelicans 2 to 1.

Your logic here, that "Rougarou" would be more popular because it's local, is extremely flawed. "Pelicans" is local as well. It's the state bird, and features on the state flag for crying out loud.

"Pelicans" is just as local a name but not nearly as obscure. I didn't like the name at first, but it's growing on me. Especially when compared to the alternate suggestions like "Rougarou" and "Krewe."

Legit? If so, this is sick, and there will be a "Fleur de Pelican" also

PelicanLogo_zps549e8c8d.jpg

Looks photoshopped, its not even centered on the hat. I doubt they are far enough along in their branding to have a logo and merchandise made up. I don't know if they've even confirmed the name yet. Where did u find this?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

BBVA Compass Stadium (Houston Dynamo)- 22,000

BC Place (Vancouver Whitecaps)- 21,000

BMO Field (Toronto FC) - 21,859

Buck Shaw Stadium (San Jose Earthquakes)- 10,525

CenturyLink Field (Seattle Sounders)- 38,500

Columbus Crew Stadium (Columbus Crew)- 20,145

Dick's Sporting Goods Park (Colorado Rapids)- 18,086

FC Dallas Stadium (FC Dallas)- 20,500

Gillette Stadium (New England Revolution)- 20,000

The Home Depot Center (LA Galaxy and Chivas USA)- 27,000 (LAG), 18,800 (CHV)

JELD-WEN Field (Portland Timbers)- 20,438

Livestrong Sporting Park (Sporting KC) 18,467

PPL Park (Philadelphia Union)- 18,500

RFK Stadium (DC United)- 19,647

Red Bull Arena (NY Red Bulls)- 25,000

Rio Tinto Stadium (Real Salt Lake)- 20,213

Saputo Stadium (Montreal Impact)- 20,521

Toyota Park (Chicago Fire)- 20,000

Soccer is growing but its still a long way off. Seniors are the fastest growning age group on twitter and facebook... does that mean that teenagers and gen Xers are a dying breed on social media? No.. it means seniors are late to the party and have no where to go but up. Im very happy that Americans are embracing soccer, but higher average attendance does not mean anything to support an argument that they've caught the NBA. They have much cheaper tickers and much fewer games.

Also -- those capacity numbers arent all true because not every ticket is available for purchase (Gillette Stadium). I'm sure if 40-50,000 people wanted to buy ticketd to a Revolution game they would expand the capacity

Legit? If so, this is sick, and there will be a "Fleur de Pelican" also

PelicanLogo_zps549e8c8d.jpg

Looks photoshopped, its not even centered on the hat. I doubt they are far enough along in their branding to have a logo and merchandise made up. I don't know if they've even confirmed the name yet. Where did u find this?

I dont even think this is photoshopped, this is like a vector image in illustrator. The seams are really bad and their is an outline around the whole thing. It's not a bad logo though. Wings seem awkward compared the the body, and add the tail, and I think it's good.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Your logic here, that "Rougarou" would be more popular because it's local, is extremely flawed. "Pelicans" is local as well. It's the state bird, and features on the state flag for crying out loud.

"Pelicans" is just as local a name but not nearly as obscure. I didn't like the name at first, but it's growing on me. Especially when compared to the alternate suggestions like "Rougarou" and "Krewe."

Local isn't the correct term here then, it would be more popular than Pelicans since it's "uniquely local" which is more desirable to for merchandise sales. My point is that while Pelicans may be fine, Rougarou would sell even better due to its uniquely local quality. But, that's just my opinion based on over 20 years in the design and merchandise industry.

Local isn't the correct term here then, it would be more popular than Pelicans since it's "uniquely local" which is more desirable to for merchandise sales. My point is that while Pelicans may be fine, Rougarou would sell even better due to its uniquely local quality. But, that's just my opinion based on over 20 years in the design and merchandise industry.

I don't doubt that local-themed gear would be a big seller. Pelicans fits that bill though. "Rougarou," I think, crosses a line and becomes to local. To the point that it's just to obscure. To be perfectly honest I doubt most people will be able to pronounce it.

I don't disagree with your premise regarding local-themed gear. I just think "Pelicans" will fit the bill just fine.

What would the present NO Hornets rebrand to, then? Maybe they can do a swap with Utah and get the Jazz name back, then Utah could swap with Memphis and become the Grizzlies, they could swap with Minnesota to get the Wolves name, and then Minnesota and L.A. could finally swap between Lakers and Wolves.

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Lakers

Los Angels Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

Simpler, and Los Angeles doesn't have much of a wolf population.

Though I agree that this is incredibly unlikely.

What would the present NO Hornets rebrand to, then? Maybe they can do a swap with Utah and get the Jazz name back, then Utah could swap with Memphis and become the Grizzlies, they could swap with Minnesota to get the Wolves name, and then Minnesota and L.A. could finally swap between Lakers and Wolves.

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Lakers

Los Angels Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

That's one word for it.

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Lakers

Los Angels Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

That's one word for it.

I would be a little surprised if the 16 time world champion LA Lakers (11 in LA) change their name to the 16-regular-season-wins-in-team-history Bobcats anytime within the next 10,000 years, But look out 12013-14 NBA Champion Los Angeles Bobcats!

Archived