New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

Pelicans chose a winner for their contest. winning design done by Tin Bacic, one of my favorite designers and a huge influence. just a shame he uses these contest sites so much: http://99designs.com...nd-top-designs/

TinBacicDesign.jpg

1. So is that their official rebranding or was it just a contest for poop and laughter?

2. If it is official, damn - those colors are fantastic.

If this was official, it just looks stunning by NBA standards. :jawdrop: It isn't bland and is really quite refreshing. Navy, gold, and black is mostly unique in the NBA and I love the fleur de lis tribute in the bottom of the logo. Whoever designed the logo deserves a pat on the back on a great design choice and colors. :notworthy:(**) (**) (**) (**) (**)

Even though navy, gold and black isn't exactly like the old Wizards color set, it's still somewhat similar and I welcome a team with that color scheme

Go A's!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because New Orleans Jazz is one of the greatest names in the history of pro sports?

Jus'ayin...

New Orleans Brass was a better nickname

Just sayin'

I would have preferred Brass as well. But I'm thinking that somebody must still own the name. Benson has owned the rights to the name "New Orleans Pelicans" for years.

Good for him - so much better than "Brass".

What ever the team chooses, I just hope to GOD they don't leave the logo design up to the Association. Look at the last one they created: The Thunder. *shakes head*

New Orleans Brass would set up way too many New Orleans 'Aints style jokes.

"Kiss my Brass!" the fans chant

"New Orleans kicks Boston's Brass" the headlines scream.

Yeah, I know...LOL

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

What ever the team chooses, I just hope to GOD they don't leave the logo design up to the Association. Look at the last one they created: The Thunder. *shakes head*

New Orleans Brass would set up way too many New Orleans 'Aints style jokes.

"Kiss my Brass!" the fans chant

"New Orleans kicks Boston's Brass" the headlines scream.

Yeah, I know...LOL

More like "(fill in the name of any NBA team) kicks some New Orleans Brass"

Believe it or not, the Thunder logo was created by an agency. One of the largest agencies in Oklahoma City. The only reason they're so large is because Clay Bennett has stake in them and he has connections and lots o' money.

Ok, I have a question.

Why are the Hornets able to become the Pelicans as soon as next season.... but when Ted Leonsis took control of the Wizards and there were rumblings that they may become the Bullets and those were shot down by people saying "that takes 3-5 years" or so. Implying you have to do a ton of paperwork or whatever for the league to change your team name. I think Ted himself even said the 3-5 years thing, but I can't find the quote.

Was he just lying to Wizards/Bullets fans? Or were strings pulled to allow the Hornets to become the Pelicans? Or is that 3-5 year process thing just BS?

It has something to do with the time it takes to get the uniforms changes and NBA trademark/branding stuff. With the Bullets change, Ted probably hadn't filed the paperwork, didn't own the name at the time and so, that all took time for the legal stuff to get out of the way. In the case of the New Orleans Pelicans, Tom Benson already owns the name and so, none of that is necessary.

But I'm just spitballing ideas.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Not to mention that Stern said that should Benson wish to change the name, they would speed the process up for him.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the first thing Benson did when he took charge was to file for a name change, given how much he hates the Hornets name...

Believe it or not, the Thunder logo was created by an agency. One of the largest agencies in Oklahoma City. The only reason they're so large is because Clay Bennett has stake in them and he has connections and lots o' money.

I bet middle school artists would have done a better job.

I pray the Bensons use the internet and see the many talented artists that have put forth their Pelicans logos

I pray the Bensons use the internet and see the many talented artists that have put forth their Pelicans logos

Yeah they're gonna pick some random person on the Internet to do their complete re-brand. Any team's identity was approved and chosen by the team. The designers didn't just say, "Here's what we want you to look like."

Ok, I have a question.

Why are the Hornets able to become the Pelicans as soon as next season.... but when Ted Leonsis took control of the Wizards and there were rumblings that they may become the Bullets and those were shot down by people saying "that takes 3-5 years" or so. Implying you have to do a ton of paperwork or whatever for the league to change your team name. I think Ted himself even said the 3-5 years thing, but I can't find the quote.

Was he just lying to Wizards/Bullets fans? Or were strings pulled to allow the Hornets to become the Pelicans? Or is that 3-5 year process thing just BS?

It has something to do with the time it takes to get the uniforms changes and NBA trademark/branding stuff. With the Bullets change, Ted probably hadn't filed the paperwork, didn't own the name at the time and so, that all took time for the legal stuff to get out of the way. In the case of the New Orleans Pelicans, Tom Benson already owns the name and so, none of that is necessary.

But I'm just spitballing ideas.

I've always had a suspicion Ted wanted to respect Abe's wishes but rebrand the team back to the Bullets identity. Thus, we have a team named Wizards who looks like the Bullets.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Yeah they're gonna pick some random person on the Internet to do their complete re-brand. Any team's identity was approved and chosen by the team. The designers didn't just say, "Here's what we want you to look like."

I understand that, but if this was the best they could do, internet artists are better, and for certain middle schoolers, too.

The thing so many of you forget is that the Thunder's logo was originally designed as a placeholder—it was vague on purpose, since the "Thunder" name wasn't yet official.

Now if y'all wanna dogpile the organization, do so for having not come up with a new and better one more appropriate to the team nickname....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The thing so many of you forget is that the Thunder's logo was originally designed as a placeholder—it was vague on purpose, since the "Thunder" name wasn't yet official.

Now if y'all wanna dogpile the organization, do so for having not come up with a new and better one more appropriate to the team nickname....

As for the placeholder angle, I remember early mock ups (pre-Thunder) of a forest green and gold Barons uniform that was really well done and much better than the Thunder look now. As a Sonics' fan, I was very happy they scrapped the great Barons look in favor of the generic, bad, Thunder look.

Barons.jpg

As for the placeholder angle, I remember early mock ups (pre-Thunder) of a forest green and gold Barons uniform that was really well done and much better than the Thunder look now. As a Sonics' fan, I was very happy they scrapped the great Barons look in favor of the generic, bad, Thunder look.

Barons.jpg

Don't believe that was anything other than someone's own personal concept.

That is not better than what they have now.

I agree as well. That Baron's uniform reeks of fan made concept. The wordmark has the unnecessary serifs, to the point where it almost makes the numerals illegible.

The one saving grace of the Thunder is they're unique color scheme. A reform of logos and uniforms would easily make them a Top 10 visual team in the NBA.

Archived