New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

Don't you think a locals name instantly endears the team to its city? Something that's theirs, that they can "own".

A local name is fine. You can have a name that's to local though. "Rougarou" and "Krewe" are to local.

A good local name is one that's instantly recognizable by a national or international audience yet one that also ties into the team's locale. "Rougarou" and "Krewe" may tie into New Orleans but most people not from the area won't know what the hell these names mean.

"Pelicans," on the other hand, is the perfect local name. It ties into the area and it's also something fans all over will recognize.

I just think "Krew" and Rougarou" require too much explanation to the rest of the league's fanbase. Sounders is a locally derived name that doesn't require as much explanation.

What's funny is I have people not from Seattle asking me all the time what Sounders means. Most think it's because of Seattle's music scene and not the Puget Sound. Probably doesn't help that the logo is the Space Needle and has nothing to do with water.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of just figured out what Sounders meant after a little bit. It's not the most obvious, but it's definitely easier for people nationally to recognize than than "Krewe" or "Rougarou". Soccer is also a lot different in terms of branding where you don't need a strong mascot to have a strong brand. There are teams in the US with "Sporting" and "Real" and international teams can sell stuff like crazy here and none have American names.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I kind of just figured out what Sounders meant after a little bit. It's not the most obvious, but it's definitely easier for people nationally to recognize than than "Krewe" or "Rougarou". Soccer is also a lot different in terms of branding where you don't need a strong mascot to have a strong brand. There are teams in the US with "Sporting" and "Real" and international teams can sell stuff like crazy here and none have American names.

Other teams that do just fine with odd names that often have to be explained:

1. Green Bay Packers

2. Los Angeles Lakers

3. Los Angeles Dodgers

4. New York Mets

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Philadelphia Phillies

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Philadelphia 76ers

9. Pittsburgh Steelers

10. Buffalo Bills

11. New York Knicks

12. Indiana Pacers

And that doesn't even include college (Georgetown Hoyas)...

Yeah, I think "Sounders" requires every bit the explanation "Krewe" or "Rougarou" does.

Yes, the difference being, though, that the MLS has about the same international appeal as League One. The NBA has slightly higher aspirations with regards to appeal and attention.

And another thing. Just what appeal does a garbled French werewolf have?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The number one American brand internationally? The "Yankees". Somehow I think any of the New Orleans choices could do just fine, regardless of however local they make the identity.

Rougarou and Krewe suck; that's why they're awful choices. Also, you can't compare the Yankees to this franchise that almost nobody outside or even some inside (after looking at attendance numbers) of New Orleans cares about.

All I'm saying is that you don't need some generic mass-market name to have broad appeal.

With New Orleans, I think they'd be smart to build the brand around the city. Brooklyn has done a fantastic job doing just that, hampered by a terrible nickname.

I'm not sure what goal exactly people think can't be met with any of those proposed names, especially when you're building around a brand as internationally-renowned as that of the Crescent City.

The Yankees' appeal comes more from them winning all the time.

Loup garou and Krewe is just simply trying too hard. Forcing obscure regionalism in the hopes that it will appeal to....I dunno...people who exult in eccentricity or something. Hipsterism will die out eventually though, so, *shrug*.

(Also you already have wolves in the league.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, I think "Sounders" requires every bit the explanation "Krewe" or "Rougarou" does.

Yes, the difference being, though, that the MLS has about the same international appeal as League One. The NBA has slightly higher aspirations with regards to appeal and attention.

Be careful, the MLS has had higher average attendance than the NBA and the NHL for the past 2 years. Yes, they are still second tier, but on a very strong path to success. This past year, for the first time, I saw a Sounder jersey being worn in England by a local who was an actual Sounders fan. All this to say I wouldn't dismiss what the MLS does.

Other teams that do just fine with odd names that often have to be explained:

1. Green Bay Packers

2. Los Angeles Lakers

3. Los Angeles Dodgers

4. New York Mets

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Philadelphia Phillies

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Philadelphia 76ers

9. Pittsburgh Steelers

10. Buffalo Bills

11. New York Knicks

12. Indiana Pacers

And that doesn't even include college (Georgetown Hoyas)...

The bolded ones are neither odd nor need any explanation to anyone who is older than 5 years old or who doesn't have their head up their ass when it comes to even basic social and historical information.

Maybe not the Packers, but bosrs1 has a point on the rest of them, I mean if you gotta explain the Philadelphia 76ers or San Francisco 49ers to someone, then they need to go back to 4th grade social studies.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived