New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

I have a feeling that other than maybe Rougarous, those other names are just to deflect from the actuality that its gonna be Pelicans. Which, IMO, is the best choice.

I agree. Most of the others are so ubsurd that I believe it's just smoke and mirrors to keep the speculation going. Speculation = continued publicity.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA has trademarked Pelicans, Mosquitos, Swamp Dogs, Bullsharks,

and Rougarou. (per RealGM) Pelicans doesn't sound too bad now, does it?

What I really do not understand is: a committee of people actually sat around a table in a closed room for a long period of time and these are what the finalists ended up being. Not one of those is even remotely good.

I would wager any amount of money that the team name is already chosen (Pelicans), but the team and NBA wants there to be an appearance of choice...so that fans immediately support the team's selection from the very beginning. So they pick 4 other awful names that no one would support, forcing people to gravitate to Pelicans.

Mosquitos are insigificant and can be squashed easily. At their worst, they're annoying and that's pretty much it. Easy to make fun of.

Swamp Dogs sounds like a name out of the current fly-by-night ABA. No way the league would have anything to do with such a shady operation.

Bullsharks isn't bad, but I doubt the majority of the public knows what a bullshark is.

Rougarou...No way the NBA chooses a brand that the majority of Americans will struggle to pronounce, or even what it is in the first place.

Successful sports brands immediately bring a clear picture of something strong/powerful/stately. Those 4 absolutely do not.

What I really do not understand is: a committee of people actually sat around a table in a closed room for a long period of time and these are what the finalists ended up being. Not one of those is even remotely good.

I would wager any amount of money that the team name is already chosen (Pelicans), but the team and NBA wants there to be an appearance of choice...so that fans immediately support the team's selection from the very beginning. So they pick 4 other awful names that no one would support, forcing people to gravitate to Pelicans.

Mosquitos are insigificant and can be squashed easily. At their worst, they're annoying and that's pretty much it. Easy to make fun of.

Swamp Dogs sounds like a name out of the current fly-by-night ABA. No way the league would have anything to do with such a shady operation.

Bullsharks isn't bad, but I doubt the majority of the public knows what a bullshark is.

Rougarou...No way the NBA chooses a brand that the majority of Americans will struggle to pronounce, or even what it is in the first place.

Successful sports brands immediately bring a clear picture of something strong/powerful/stately. Those 4 absolutely do not.

Mosquitos can also spread deadly diseases, killing dozens, if not hundreds, of people every year.

I'd love the Bull Sharks. They're aggressive AF, though probably better suited for a contact sports team name, like football or hockey. Also, I worry about the closeness to the Bulls, as well as the word all-too-close in the dictionary, bull s h i t.

Rougarou could actually be really cool as a local identity. Learned the legend of it as a kid growing up here.

Besides, WTF is a knickerbocker?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Mosquitos can also spread deadly diseases, killing dozens, if not hundreds, of people every year.

I'd love the Bull Sharks. They're aggressive AF, though probably better suited for a contact sports team name, like football or hockey. Also, I worry about the closeness to the Bulls, as well as the word all-too-close in the dictionary, bull s h i t.

Rougarou could actually be really cool as a local identity. Learned the legend of it as a kid growing up here.

The "Knickerbocker" name comes from the pseudonym used by Washington Irving in his book A History of New York, a name which became applied to the descendants of the original Dutch settlers of what later became New York, and later, by extension, to New Yorkers in general.[2]

Today's history lesson brought to you by the letter 'P', for Pelican.

sig.png

The bummer is that a number of these will most certainly be better than the actual logo.

this.

they just need to get Brandiose to do a campy, awesome-looking pelican. the wordmarks would be sweet as well.

Actually Brandiose's designed wordmarks have become very amateurish looking. Looks like they were sketched out quickly but never refined in Illustrator.

I wish so many of these logos weren't relying on gradients so much. There is obviously some talent here, but they are over doing it. They need to scale things back, otherwise it looks too much like an illustration and not a sports logo.

I think this could be amazing with a better wordmark. https://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/designs-community-contest-help-brand-orleans-pelicans-183385/entries/723

The bummer is that a number of these will most certainly be better than the actual logo.

maybe.....or maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.....

You're on the Creamer boards... when has anyone ever been pleasantly surprised about anything on here?

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

maybe.....or maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.....

You're on the Creamer boards... when has anyone ever been pleasantly surprised about anything on here?

:lol:

It's been a mixed bag when it comes to the NBA. Especially considering the supposed primary logo change fee.

Wizards Secondary- :D Primary- :huh:

Wolves Secondary - :wub: Primary- :unsure: (keeping the werepig)

Jazz Secondary - (dance) Primary- :/

Thunder... :mad:

Nets - meh.

I would be down with campy and fun for a Pelicans logo as long as it is done well and doesn't take itself too seriously. Whatever they decide, I do hope they keep this in some capacity.

j4q3d1rhxpdifqtfsc73gowbt.gif

I'd LOVE the Rougarou. We need more names like that that are specific to the actual area the team plays in. Awesome. That being said, the generic NBA will probably squash it since it is a great idea.

I'd LOVE the Rougarou. We need more names like that that are specific to the actual area the team plays in. Awesome. That being said, the generic NBA will probably squash it since it is a great idea.

Local kitsch is not conducive to large-scale brand awareness. Vetoed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I play a game called Guildwars 2. One of my characters is a dog/human like creature. He is a necromancer. I named him Lou Garou. I colored his armor is green, purple and yellow. I created him way before all of this. I REALLY like Rougarou. I think this has potential. New Orleans is the perfect city for this.

I do think it will be Pelicans.

Archived