New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

That name has been attached to too many cities. Just kill it.

If it happends, the nickname history will look like this:

Charlotte, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, New Orleans (again), and Charlotte (again)?

That does not seem like too much for anyone?

For clarification, they were officially named New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets for those two years.

At least the name is being returned to it's rightful city. However, if New Orleans does ditch the Hornets name, I'll miss this logo:

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

You'll miss that logo??

Awwww I'm so sorry

::sarcasm::

Signed,

Former Charlotte Hornets die hard

PS- the names coming back where it belongs and should have never left. Even George shinn came out today and say hell do what he can to help make I happen...so sorry go pelicans? Ha

You may eventually get the name back, but i doubt you'll get the old logo and colours. Unless some sort of "history, and branding" trade/buy out happen.

They've got to bring back Hugo! Without Hugo it's not the Charlotte Hornets. But, I could see them do a Jazz-type recoloring with a deep navy blue with teal.

I

It has to do more with on Charlotte not owning the logo, or colours

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the NBA deigns it appropriate to change Charlotte's name back to the Hornets, I believe they will make sure whatever intellectual property transfers necessary are made. In the end, it's all about whatever brand makes the league more money.

If the NBA deigns it appropriate to change Charlotte's name back to the Hornets, I believe they will make sure whatever intellectual property transfers necessary are made. In the end, it's all about whatever brand makes the league more money.

Is there any precedent of this happening before, in any league?

Only one I can think of is the two Washington Senators teams sharing a name, and ballpark, but not being related in anyway. Also the Current day Nationals using the same "W" logo as the 2nd coming of that team.

Only one I can think of is the two Washington Senators teams sharing a name, and ballpark, but not being related in anyway. Also the Current day Nationals using the same "W" logo as the 2nd coming of that team.

Aren't the new Winnipeg Jets the exact same situation? Apart from the logo change.

If you want old examples, I believe there were two iterations of the Baltimore Bullets.

Aren't the new Winnipeg Jets the exact same situation? Apart from the logo change.

If you want old examples, I believe there were two iterations of the Baltimore Bullets.

Cleveland Browns?

GO NETS.

That name has been attached to too many cities. Just kill it.

If it happends, the nickname history will look like this:

Charlotte, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, New Orleans (again), and Charlotte (again)?

That does not seem like too much for anyone?

For clarification, they were officially named New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets for those two years.

At least the name is being returned to it's rightful city. However, if New Orleans does ditch the Hornets name, I'll miss this logo:

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

You'll miss that logo??

Awwww I'm so sorry

::sarcasm::

Signed,

Former Charlotte Hornets die hard

PS- the names coming back where it belongs and should have never left. Even George shinn came out today and say hell do what he can to help make I happen...so sorry go pelicans? Ha

You may eventually get the name back, but i doubt you'll get the old logo and colours. Unless some sort of "history, and branding" trade/buy out happen.

They've got to bring back Hugo! Without Hugo it's not the Charlotte Hornets. But, I could see them do a Jazz-type recoloring with a deep navy blue with teal.

God no. No more double-blues. Teal or not.

sig.png

Cleveland Browns?

CLEVEJACKED

From a very reliable source: the Charlotte Bobcats will be adopting the name of the Hornets in the 2013-2014 season. The legal manuevering to rework the trademark searches and considerations for the name have started. They will be the CHARLOTTE HORNETS you can book it.

The voices in your head?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Cleveland Browns?

CLEVEJACKED!

Dun, dun, DUNNNNNN!!!!!!

From a very reliable source: the Charlotte Bobcats will be adopting the name of the Hornets in the 2013-2014 season. The legal manuevering to rework the trademark searches and considerations for the name have started. They will be the CHARLOTTE HORNETS you can book it.

nonamechanges_zps7e4e0419.png

Which means some kind of change to the identity, whether it's new colors or just a tweak. Then they can sell new Hornets stuff and throwbacks.

Which means some kind of change to the identity, whether it's new colors or just a tweak. Then they can sell new Hornets stuff and throwbacks.

Very true, although I personally wouldn't look for anything radical. Maybe something as simple as darkening the old Hornets' color palette so that the old 90's bright teal and purple stuff will be easily identifiable as throwback gear.

and of the Denver Nuggets

Someone wanna tell me what a Rougarou is?

It's essentially the French-Cajun version of a werewolf that prowls through the swamp and has a taste for Catholic blood. Now that's a badass creature and all but how could you take a name like Rougarou seriously? Although I think it'd be a really fun mock-college identity. "The University of Louisiana-Thibodeaux Rougarou!!".

GR30a5H.png

Archived