New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA has trademarked Pelicans, Mosquitos, Swamp Dogs, Bullsharks,

and Rougarou. (per RealGM) Pelicans doesn't sound too bad now, does it?

Pelicans are okay, but Swamp Dogs are the way to go.

What is it with the NBA and thinking a Dog name is a sound Professional team name? I mean we could have had the Washington Sea Dogs in '97 ... and now ... New Orleans Swamp Dogs.

I get that it's a gator, but still ...

My money is on the Pelicans, but Rougarou would be AWESOME!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I definitely am pulling for Pelicans. It's unique in North American pro sports, it is not some stupid name that does not end in an "s", and it's the state bird.

I suppose you could say "Swamp Dogs" and "Bullsharks" are unique and don't end in "S" to, but they seem to minor league-ish...I know some people feel that way about "Pelicans", but not me.

My second favorite would actually be Mosquitoes. I was kinda hoping for that early in the days of naming what would be the Wild (plenty of 'squitoes in Minnesota).

As for Rougarou, man I hope not. I am sure there will be a huge push of public support for it. But I don't like the lack of "s". It also kind of has the "Krewe" problem of being "too local" and perpahs even the "Lone Stars" problem that there is only one Rougarou. It would be like naming a team the "Loch Ness Monster" (or the "Scotland Nessie").

Go Pelicans!

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Someone wanna tell me what a Rougarou is?

It's essentially the French-Cajun version of a werewolf that prowls through the swamp and has a taste for Catholic blood.

Perhaps this explains Brian Kelly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm calling shinanigans on this. RealGM picks up a piece from a website of a Milwuakee Bucks fan, stating that Anil V. George (intellectual property counsel for NBA) trademarked these names, so now this offical? Give me a break. Doubtful this is true; a red herring, at most.

It's not even correct. It's Loup Garou (two words), not "rougarou". Mosquitoes? Swamp Dogs? Bullsharks? This cannot be serious.

It is what it is.

What I really do not understand is: a committee of people actually sat around a table in a closed room for a long period of time and these are what the finalists ended up being. Not one of those is even remotely good.

I'm sure it has absolutely no ties whatsoever to the city of New Orleans, but what about Knights? It's simple, old-school and effective. New Orleans Knights. Even sounds nice.

sig.png

Archived