New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should totally send this to the team (so you can have your idea shot down as quickly as possible).

partipating in the balls,

Also, you should probably consult a medical professional about that.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm ready for us to re-institute the "two post waiting period" thing.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NBA screwed it self up, by making so many teams keep their name upon relocation.

I agree. The "Utah Jazz" has always stuck in my craw. Utah and Jazz just don't go together.

OMGWTF IS THIS?!

Fun fact: The Utah Jazz are not a sponsor of the Salt Lake City Jazz Festival. I mean, isn't that like the missed opportunity to end all missed opportunities?!?

C'mon!

I know there is a ton of reasons behind this, but should New Orleans even have a basketball team? Their attendance is a dismal. That city has not embraced that team at all.

You sure about that? They were 16th in the league in attendance last year. They've traditionally sold out around 88% of the seats -- not perfect, but nothing to sniff at and better than many other teams.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Yeesh...with the very real possibility of one name returning to its roots (Charlotte Hornets) and a couple of new board members, the old Name-Swap thing has reared its ugly head again, centered around, you guessed it...the Utah Jazz.

Let me echo (in a nutshell) what fellow Utahn Foxxtrot44 said: It's not about what the team name means or and where it is, it's just about the team name and what that name, in its current location, has come to represent.

I've long maintained that I wouldn't be so strung up about "Letz giv da Jazz name bak 2 New Orleenz DERP" mindset if people were willing to include the likes of the Los Angeles Lakers (which is just as egregious) more fully across the board. But the Lakers have history--from Wilt Chamberlain to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to Magic Johnson to (gag) :P Kobe Bryant--and have been one of the league's premiere teams, so we can't change their name. However, don't the Utah Jazz also have a history--from Adrian Dantley to Darrell Griffith to John Stockton and Karl Malone even to Deron Williams and forward--being one of the league's most successful and enduring small-market franchises on and off the court, despite not winning a title?

If I'm not mistaken, one reason* why the Jazz name was kept was that the ownership (primarily Sam Battistone) wanted to keep the name to remember its New Orleans^ roots, its bad years; this is evident by the fact that Pistol Pete Maravich's number 7 is still retired by the team, despite being nowhere near his prime when the Jazz moved to Utah. Like Ice_Cap said, the Jazz's most memorable/successful years have taken place in Salt Lake.

Putting on an LA Lakers jersey means something (same top-level franchise as Chamberlain/Abul-Jabbar/Magic), just as putting on a Utah Jazz jersey means something (same hard-working franchise that Malone/Stockton played for). In either case, the team name's meaning doesn't really carry its original intent and is not in its original location, but it means something to the fans where it now resides. Removing that name means removing what that team has meant to its fans in its current city.

In summary, is it really worth it to shift around the Jazz, Lakers, Grizzlies, etc. names just to appease people that are bothered by the Utah Jazz/LA Lakers/Memphis Grizzlies/etc? I'd argue here that team history is much more important (to that team's fans) than the team's name's literal meaning.

*Among others, such as the Jazz simply not having enough money to change the name and get new uniforms upon their arrival in Salt Lake City.

^Battistone might have supposed that New Orleans wasn't going to get an NBA team ever again.

Really? If NOLA wanted a good nickname out of the three they chose Krewe would have been 100000000000x better then Pelicans. If you include Minor league teams its the Second worst nickname only to the Montgomery Biscuits but if only Pro it takes the Cake

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

I know there is a ton of reasons behind this, but should New Orleans even have a basketball team? Their attendance is a dismal. That city has not embraced that team at all.

You sure about that? They were 16th in the league in attendance last year. They've traditionally sold out around 88% of the seats -- not perfect, but nothing to sniff at and better than many other teams.

They currently sit 24th in the league with a 14k average.

That would put them 29th in the NHL by comparison

NewOrleansRevelersCollection2.jpg

Reveler -n. festive merrymaker who participate in the period of Carnival, the day of Mardi Gras, by partipating in the balls, or other events, including parades en masse. Crowds at a Mardi Gras parade who are more than spectators, they are participants.

michael-jordan-laughing.gifmichael-jordan-laughing.gif

6uXNWAo.png

I find it amusing that most of the people in this thread that are trying to "define" New Orleans or choose an identity that "screams" New Orleans...

...aren't from New Orleans.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I find it amusing that most of the people in this thread that are trying to "define" New Orleans or choose an identity that "screams" New Orleans...

> Implying that only people from a town can ever know what that town is about.

I don't think that's what Chawls is implying at all. I can't speak for him, but what I think he's getting at is that non-residents tend to stereotype other locations.

I don't think that's what Chawls is implying at all. I can't speak for him, but what I think he's getting at is that non-residents tend to stereotype other locations.

How is what people have posted about names for a New Orleans team a stereotype of what the city is? Are the Saints a stereotype of New Orleans? I don't understand.

How is what people have posted about names for a New Orleans team a stereotype of what the city is? Are the Saints a stereotype of New Orleans? I don't understand.

I was making a general statement. Ask a random person in the mall today what their first thought is when they think of Seattle. I'm willing to bet it will be "rainy". That is stereotyping. Yes, we get a lot of rain due to our geographical location, but there are also beautiful days here.

Archived