New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local kitsch is not conducive to large-scale brand awareness. Vetoed.

Depends how they sell it. Overridden. :P

I'd disagree that it is not conducive and argue that it is actually more conducive. People want to buy/wear things that are unique and show that they are in the know. Why do you think local kitsch t-shirts sell by the millions in tourist destinations around the world?

Maybe it's just me, but not being from the area I would never think of buying a New Orleans Hornets item. Same for New Orleans Pelicans. But a New Orleans Rougarou... that gets my shopping interest.

This. See Exhibit A: Montgomery Biscuits. Consistently one of the top selling MiLB brands across the country.

MiLB brands tend to skew towards local kitsch though. That's part of minor league sports. I'm not sure if that level of kitsch would work for a nationally branded pro team.

hornets-kobe6.png

Once again, I think the Charlotte Hornets would exist if this guy played for them. It just looks right to me.

100% agree (aside from it looking right). 5 rings later, that trade has brought me and my family immense happiness.

Agreed. Washington DC seems to do a good job with the Nats/Caps.

"Nationals" and "Capitals" are not kitschy. "Rougarou" is.

I'd disagree that it is not conducive and argue that it is actually more conducive. People want to buy/wear things that are unique and show that they are in the know. Why do you think local kitsch t-shirts sell by the millions in tourist destinations around the world?

There's truth here.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Agreed. Washington DC seems to do a good job with the Nats/Caps.

"Nationals" and "Capitals" are not kitschy. "Rougarou" is.

Really. These counter "arguments" are horrible at best. There's a huge difference in target market between minor league and the top level, and there's a huge difference between Washington and New Orleans, and at least Nationals is something people can pronounce (and it's pretty generic anyway.)

Excepting teams that were named 100 years ago, maybe Pacers, Nuggets, Texans, Canauks would even sorta a little bit maybe kinda qualify, but again, they are at least words that are people know (well, I didn't know Canaucks until someone explained it to me) and it's easy to understand why the teams are named that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Don't you think a locals name instantly endears the team to its city? Something that's theirs, that they can "own". To me that's one of the many reasons why the Sounders have been so ultra popular here in Seattle. Sounders is a unique sports name that those in the Puget Sound call their "own" and that the fans actually selected (won as a write-in vote vs 3 other options).

Maybe New Orleans ownership should let the fans vote and let them feel intimately involved with the team.

Don't you think a locals name instantly endears the team to its city? Something that's theirs, that they can "own".

A local name is fine. You can have a name that's to local though. "Rougarou" and "Krewe" are to local.

A good local name is one that's instantly recognizable by a national or international audience yet one that also ties into the team's locale. "Rougarou" and "Krewe" may tie into New Orleans but most people not from the area won't know what the hell these names mean.

"Pelicans," on the other hand, is the perfect local name. It ties into the area and it's also something fans all over will recognize.

I wonder if in twelve years we'll be debating whether this was just a move to jolt lagging merchandise sales or a heartfelt reaction to Louisiana's stigma of hornet-related violence.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

hornets-kobe6.png

Once again, I think the Charlotte Hornets would exist if this guy played for them. It just looks right to me.

100% agree (aside from it looking right). 5 rings later, that trade has brought me and my family immense happiness.

TBH, Kobe's primarily responsible for just two rings. He was "Pippen" for 3 of those Lakers teams.

6uXNWAo.png

hornets-kobe6.png

TBH, Kobe's primarily responsible for just two rings. He was "Pippen" for 3 of those Lakers teams.

Primary or not, they wouldn't have won them without him

Don't you think a locals name instantly endears the team to its city? Something that's theirs, that they can "own".

A local name is fine. You can have a name that's to local though. "Rougarou" and "Krewe" are to local.

A good local name is one that's instantly recognizable by a national or international audience yet one that also ties into the team's locale. "Rougarou" and "Krewe" may tie into New Orleans but most people not from the area won't know what the hell these names mean.

"Pelicans," on the other hand, is the perfect local name. It ties into the area and it's also something fans all over will recognize.

I just think "Krew" and Rougarou" require too much explanation to the rest of the league's fanbase. Sounders is a locally derived name that doesn't require as much explanation.

Maybe New Orleans ownership should let the fans vote and let them feel intimately involved with the team.

They play in a publicly-funded arena and have been in town for over a decade. The only way the people of New Orleans could be more intimately involved with the team would be for Anthony Davis to make door-to-door booty calls throughout the city.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You know, I find it funny that so many people claim that the New Orleans basketball team should use Mardi Gras colors...probably because Mardi Gras is about all that most outside Louisiana know about New Orleans. I'm sure most if not everyone on this side of the 49th parallel (and maybe many above) have been to a Mardi Gras parade at some point in their lives—and yet some want to say no one outside New Orleans would know what a "Krewe" is?? I don't follow that syllogism. (Granted, its more than just a parade troupe in local lore, but, still.)

In any event, while "Pelicans" may not be most, well, athletic name out there, the identity package they come up with (or maybe have already come up with) will be the clincher. I'm keeping an open mind about this.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

You know, I find it funny that so many people claim that the New Orleans basketball team should use Mardi Gras colors...probably because Mardi Gras is about all that most outside Louisiana know about New Orleans. I'm sure most if not everyone on this side of the 49th parallel (and maybe many above) have been to a Mardi Gras parade at some point in their lives—and yet some want to say no one outside New Orleans would know what a "Krewe" is?? I don't follow that syllogism. (Granted, its more than just a parade troupe in local lore, but, still.)

In my defence, I don't think anyone outside of New Orleans would know what "Krewe" means, but I also don't want a Mardi Gras theme. That's been played to death.

Archived