New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

There are a lot of runner ups that are better than the winning entry. Notably, this one...

dinoDesigns.jpg

I really liked that one, but I would like to see a version where the bill breaks the basketball shape. Constraining the bill in there really hurts the design of it (the bill is what makes a pelican noticeably a pelican IMO), and the basketball shape is well established enough in the rest of the design that you really don't need to fit the bill in there for people to "get it".

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

sig.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't post the link cause I'm on my phone but this is a tweet from Greg Miller (Jazz CEO):

"@GregInUtah: Ironic?: The Utah Jazz votes “yes” on the proposed name change of the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Pelicans."

Looks like pending a vote pelicans is the new name.

What would the present NO Hornets rebrand to, then? Maybe they can do a swap with Utah and get the Jazz name back, then Utah could swap with Memphis and become the Grizzlies, they could swap with Minnesota to get the Wolves name, and then Minnesota and L.A. could finally swap between Lakers and Wolves.

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Lakers

Los Angels Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

Simpler, and Los Angeles doesn't have much of a wolf population.

Though I agree that this is incredibly unlikely.

Yeah... That.

Reality, the Jazz name has been associated with Utah FAR longer than they ever in New Orleans, and the chances of Los Angeles dropping the Laker name are zero.

If we are going to discuss what if synopsises (sic), once Sacramento officially loses their team to Seattle and we are given the Sonics Part II, then this is the one who makes the most sense:.

Memphis picks up the name Kings (the Elvis ties are too good)

Charlotte gets the Hornets back

New Orleans becomes the Jazz again

Utah becomes the Grizzlies

As said though, reality is, New Orleans will be rebranded the Pelicans, Charlotte MAY get the Hornets name back and everything else stays status quo.

Texas.gif

Pelicans chose a winner for their contest. winning design done by Tin Bacic, one of my favorite designers and a huge influence. just a shame he uses these contest sites so much: http://99designs.com...nd-top-designs/

TinBacicDesign.jpg

1. So is that their official rebranding or was it just a contest for poop and laughter?

2. If it is official, damn - those colors are fantastic.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Pelicans chose a winner for their contest. winning design done by Tin Bacic, one of my favorite designers and a huge influence. just a shame he uses these contest sites so much: http://99designs.com...nd-top-designs/

TinBacicDesign.jpg

1. So is that their official rebranding or was it just a contest for poop and laughter?

Not official. Just a web contest. Hell, the name change isn't even official.

gYH2mW9.png

The New Orleans Jazz were a terrible team in a terrible era of the NBA and they weren't even around that long. The Utah Jazz were a terrific basketball organization for about twenty years with two of the greatest players ever and one of the greatest coaches ever. WHY THIS FREAKING NOSTALGIA. God, it's like carrying a torch for the Oakland Seals.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New Orleans Jazz is a name that works, and if there wasnt a 30 year history of the Utah Jazz i would say its a no brainer to call a new New Orleans team in any sport the Jazz, no matter how poor the original Pete Maravich Jazz record was. But there is a Utah Jazz, and they aren't changing. Sooooo oh well they'll just have to name the team after one of the other hundreds of the things that region is known for.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Because New Orleans Jazz is one of the greatest names in the history of pro sports?

Jus'ayin...

New Orleans Brass was a better nickname

Just sayin'

Not sure I'd agree, but I would've LOVED seeing that over Pelicans.

Memphis Kings is nice, but this team nearby would cause some confusion (Memphis suburbs of Mississippi):

BTW, Someone told me they picked a turtle as a logo because "kids like turtles".

w78y2ehffj2gudzcfr0yqpjfi.gif

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

TinBacicDesign.jpg

If this was official, it just looks stunning by NBA standards. :jawdrop: It isn't bland and is really quite refreshing. Navy, gold, and black is mostly unique in the NBA and I love the fleur de lis tribute in the bottom of the logo. Whoever designed the logo deserves a pat on the back on a great design choice and colors. :notworthy:(**) (**) (**) (**) (**)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Because New Orleans Jazz is one of the greatest names in the history of pro sports?

Jus'ayin...

New Orleans Brass was a better nickname

Just sayin'

I would have preferred Brass as well. But I'm thinking that somebody must still own the name. Benson has owned the rights to the name "New Orleans Pelicans" for years.

gYH2mW9.png

TinBacicDesign.jpg

If this was official, it just looks stunning by NBA standards. :jawdrop: It isn't bland and is really quite refreshing. Navy, gold, and black is mostly unique in the NBA and I love the fleur de lis tribute in the bottom of the logo. Whoever designed the logo deserves a pat on the back on a great design choice and colors. :notworthy:(**) (**) (**) (**) (**)

Tin Bacic, man. hes a beast

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

TinBacicDesign.jpg

Tin Bacic, man. hes a beast

Thanks for the name of the designer. And seriously, he's awesome. It is definitely going to be better than the eventual logo for the Pelicans.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Ok, I have a question.

Why are the Hornets able to become the Pelicans as soon as next season.... but when Ted Leonsis took control of the Wizards and there were rumblings that they may become the Bullets and those were shot down by people saying "that takes 3-5 years" or so. Implying you have to do a ton of paperwork or whatever for the league to change your team name. I think Ted himself even said the 3-5 years thing, but I can't find the quote.

Was he just lying to Wizards/Bullets fans? Or were strings pulled to allow the Hornets to become the Pelicans? Or is that 3-5 year process thing just BS?

90758391980.gif

Memphis Kings is nice, but this team nearby would cause some confusion (Memphis suburbs of Mississippi):

BTW, Someone told me they picked a turtle as a logo because "kids like turtles".

w78y2ehffj2gudzcfr0yqpjfi.gif

Equating a hockey team in a financially struggling A-Puck league with the ex-Grizzle....OK I see your point.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived