New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

OK - so here's something to look forward to...

The Hornets and the Brooklyn Nets play two upcoming games - Feb. 26 in N.O., and March 12 in Brooklyn - the only two games between the New Orleans Hornets and the Brooklyn Nets.

Save pics from the game, and then in 5 years or so, post them on the board and amaze your friends that they actually played each other.

Was planning on going to the Brooklyn game here, just to keep up my tally of "NBA teams seen" up-to-date. I think I will do that picture thing.

... By the way, now that you mention it, I can also say I was at one of the (only) two games the San Diego Clippers played against the New Orleans Jazz, back in 1978... Interesting.

It is what it is.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

I'd love a link to your Bleacher Report articles.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

it's hard to get behind the Pelicans name, i dont think i'll ever like it, but it will grow on the majority of their fanbase over time.

I don't think the people in New Orleans will find it hard to get behind.

From folks I've talked to and the local media, that does not appear to be the case;

Poll last night on WWLTV:

What do you think of the new name and rebrand?

Approve 21%

Disapprove 79%

This mirrors a Twitter poll last December from beat writer Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune, when he asked if people liked the idea of a name change from Hornets to Pelicans:

77 against

19 for

Regardless of the appropriateness of the name, the look of the logos, etc., the truth of the matter is the new ownership dropped the ball in the way they did this. Benson had such positive spin when he bought the team. He has more season tickets sold than at any time in the franchise's history in New Orleans (over 12,000 for a 17 some-odd thousand arena), he gets the #1 draft pick, he announces that they're looking for a local rebrand, yet he has NO public input-- not even a token contest or something to make people feel they are being heard-- and without any public involvement picks a name and look that almost 80% of locals (who will be buying the merch, tickets and supporting the team) don't like? Massive fail in that regard.

It is what it is.

Everyone's saying its a generic color scheme, but in reality it would be pretty unique. Primary navy with red and gold trim. The closest CURRENTLY in the NBA would be the Cavs but they are primarily Red with Gold. The Hawks don't have gold. And in other sports, the Florida Panthers are close but also primary Red, not Navy. The Washington Nationals have phased out the gold, and all the other red and navy teams don't have gold.

So, in the 4 majors theres only 3 teams out of 122 that have Red, Navy, and Gold as their colors and the Pelicans are the only ones that will be primarily Navy.

From the Extreme Obscurity Dept. - I need to confirm my findings (don't have the official files yet), but it looks like this new color palette will match exactly (down to the Pantone values) to the old Quad City Steamwheelers of the arenafootball2 league.

(I told you it was obscure.)

Well, I guess I despise the Pelicans after all.

/Go Pirates!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

it's hard to get behind the Pelicans name, i dont think i'll ever like it, but it will grow on the majority of their fanbase over time.

From folks I've talked to and the local media, that does not appear to be the case;

Approve 21%

Disapprove 79%

This mirrors a Twitter poll last December from beat writer Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune, when he asked if people liked the idea of a name change from Hornets to Pelicans:

77 against

19 for

Regardless of the appropriateness of the name, the look of the logos, etc., the truth of the matter is the new ownership dropped the ball in the way they did this. Benson had such positive spin when he bought the team. He has more season tickets sold than at any time in the franchise's history in New Orleans (over 12,000 for a 17 some-odd thousand arena), he gets the #1 draft pick, he announces that they're looking for a local rebrand, yet he has NO public input-- not even a token contest or something to make people feel they are being heard-- and without any public involvement picks a name and look that almost 80% of locals (who will be buying the merch, tickets and supporting the team) don't like? Massive fail in that regard.

The best thing Benson could've done, as dastardly as it seems to some here, would've been to acquire the Jazz name from Utah, trading it with the Hornets identity, a three-way with Charlotte's, or something like that. The second best would have been to do the typical name-the-team contest and what-not.

nav-logo.png

Approve 21%

Disapprove 79%

77 against

19 for

screw "public involvement". good brands listen to their audience, but they dont let everyone decide who they are.

the poll numbers there are not surprising at all. but you have to know that it dosent matter much either. i dont like the name, but plenty of sports brands are successful even with a dumb name. how about the LA Lakers, or Cleveland Browns, or Oakland A's? you know what those teams have that the Pelicans don't? a ton of brand equity. they've been around long enough to earn their credibility and become part of the culture of their local areas. so much so, that if you try to change them or take them away, people lose their minds and beg for a return even if they have been a sorry losing franchise for decades (Browns). the "Pelicans" can do it too; let's take this poll 5 or 10 years down the road and see how many people want to change it, because i will guarantee their fanbase is going to love their goofy ass team name

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Approve 21%

Disapprove 79%

77 against

19 for

screw "public involvement". good brands listen to their audience, but they dont let everyone decide who they are.

the poll numbers there are not surprising at all. but you have to know that it dosent matter much either. i dont like the name, but plenty of sports brands are successful even with a dumb name. how about the LA Lakers, or Cleveland Browns, or Oakland A's? you know what those teams have that the Pelicans don't? a ton of brand equity. they've been around long enough to earn their credibility and become part of the culture of their local areas. so much so, that if you try to change them or take them away, people lose their minds and beg for a return even if they have been a sorry losing franchise for decades (Browns). the "Pelicans" can do it too; let's take this poll 5 or 10 years down the road and see how many people want to change it, because i will guarantee their fanbase is going to love their goofy ass team name

You mean like how people in Charlotte love the name Bobcats?

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

What's weird is that polls show poorly but everyone I know love it. I don't know. It's means so much locally I can't help but love it. Along witht he fact it was chosen to be part of our coastal restoration maks even more important to me. I wish the league would have allowed black instead of blue. The Pelicans were denied black.

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

Since when is a television station poll a reliable indicator of anything?

What was their method? Unless it was more rigorous than the standard "you people who see this, tell us what you think on our website and/or comment line", it has as much predictive value as numbers that I make up on the spot.

Same with a Twitter poll that couldn't even get 100 responses.

Approve 21%

Disapprove 79%

77 against

19 for

You mean like how people in Charlotte love the name Bobcats?

hows their winning percentage? they've been around what 10 years? since 2002? and what have they done? at least the Browns have some hall of fame players, and pre merger championships

GRAPHIC ARTIST

The problem with the Bird-de-lis is that they basically took a fleur-de-lis and tried to cram a pelican into it. The beauty of the fleur-de-bee was that it looked like they designed the hornet in such a way to resemble a fleur-de-lee.

Like, what's going on with the "wings"? Whats that little flair around the tip of the beak? What's the horizontal line across the basketball? I understand that it is done to complete the shape of the fleur-de-lis, but it just looks like they took the easy way out on it and it shows.

And my biggest gripe is there was no need to do that because from my understanding a fluer-de-lis isn't an EXACT shape, like a square. There are many different interpretations of the shape, so they could have designed it a little better.

It just seems the bee appeared more naturally in the shape the way it was designed while the dird seems more squeezed in there. HAVING SAID all of that I still think its a nice logo and I love the overall package.

6144_new_orleans_pelicans-secondary-2014.jpg

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

I don't know... After looking at both, I think the Pelican is a more natural fit. :/

Everyone's saying its a generic color scheme, but in reality it would be pretty unique. Primary navy with red and gold trim. The closest CURRENTLY in the NBA would be the Cavs but they are primarily Red with Gold. The Hawks don't have gold. And in other sports, the Florida Panthers are close but also primary Red, not Navy. The Washington Nationals have phased out the gold, and all the other red and navy teams don't have gold.

So, in the 4 majors theres only 3 teams out of 122 that have Red, Navy, and Gold as their colors and the Pelicans are the only ones that will be primarily Navy.

From the Extreme Obscurity Dept. - I need to confirm my findings (don't have the official files yet), but it looks like this new color palette will match exactly (down to the Pantone values) to the old Quad City Steamwheelers of the arenafootball2 league.

(I told you it was obscure.)

Well, I guess I despise the Pelicans after all.

/Go Pirates!

And in that case I love it. Not the best pic, but it's a beautiful scheme. And the less white the better. Here's to gold homes:

sw500.jpg

And, unpopular opinion alert, but the fleur-de-bee is nice, but overrated. What's that thing sticking out of the hornets' head? The negative stuff people are saying about the bird-de-lis are the same issues I had with the FDB. Overall, I like this whole set.

What was their method? Unless it was more rigorous than the standard "you people who see this, tell us what you think on our website and/or comment line", it has as much predictive value as numbers that I make up on the spot.

Exactly. Nothing about either poll is "scientific" or statistically valid. A good deal of the people I know like the newly announced brand. Other message boards I frequent have a significant majority that are in favor of the new look and name. It all depends on how the "poll" was conducted and through what means. One item of note, is that a large number of people absolutely LOVE the "Crescent City Basketball" roundel.

gYH2mW9.png

Exactly. Nothing about either poll is "scientific" or statistically valid. A good deal of the people I know like the newly announced brand. Other message boards I frequent have a significant majority that are in favor of the new look and name. It all depends on how the "poll" was conducted and through what means. One item of note, is that a large number of people absolutely LOVE the "Crescent City Basketball" roundel.

you can;t beat a good roundel. i swear i would make my career on them if i could. "Brandon Moore - roundel designer"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

you can;t beat a good roundel. i swear i would make my career on them if i could. "Brandon Moore - roundel designer"

It's just OK IMO. I just find that logo to be vey generic.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived