New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan. I like that they went with the colors of the city flag. Could they have used yellow in place of gold? Sure, but it's not a bad decision IMO. The creole blue/teal needed to die with the "New Orleans Hornets" name...especially if Charlotte goes back to the Hornets name.

gYH2mW9.png

the name doesn't define the team the team itself defines them. Cause look down the road the Pelicans will be making the playoffs become a strong team that when the other 29 teams see the New Orleans Pelicans on their schedule they will know that is gonna be a tough game. And watch ESPN will be the same way saying something like and the Pelicans continue their 9 game win streak behind the Spurs 2 games for the Southwest Division. If you need a refresher course remember when the Oklahoma City Thunder were announced and how we all got on here and said this and that the logo is weak the jerseys sucks now look the talk is can the Thunder make it back to the Finals , Are they the best in the West , Thunder are favorites to win it this year and on and on again.

Geaux Pelicans

An NBA team that uses red, white, and navy. Novel.

Well at least they use gold too. Hopefully, it's used as the secondary color to the navy, and red is only used as an accent color. That might help to slightly reduce the criticism it's going to get, regarding the point that you just made.

The primary logo is overdesigned in my opinion and looks like an All-Star Game logo, and I'm not feeling the way the roundel with the team name was done at the bottom, seems like an afterthought. I liked the pelican more on its own, without the wordmark and with an orange beak as it looked like in the leaked picture. I'm also disappointed by how uninspired the tertiary logos are, and the Bird-de-lis doesn't work at all.

All in all I give them a C (considering Brooklyn and OKC are an F). Keeping that in mind, it could've been worse.

What I would have liked to see color-wise (I also lined up the fleur-de-lis).

vwr0hk.png

Except it's not. Look at how the fleur-de-lis lines up with the beak.

I always liked the name pelicans, and the logos are really well designed (love the underline), but it's really bugging me that they can't decide if the primary is the one with the iron design on top or the one without and the serifs on the wordmark are a little bit too rounded. Bird-de-lis is a downgrade from the fleur-de-bee, but it's still good. While the roundel is great with the double crescent, I don't like the skewed fleur-de-lis and "Crescent city basketball" is stupid.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Corrected.

An pro sports NBA team that uses red, white, and navy. Novel.

My thoughts:

• Okay, It's final, it will be the Pelicans. I really think there were better names out there, but in the end, it's Benson's team and he can name it what he wants (with Board of Governors approval).
  • I'm not buying for a minute the statement (given during the presser) that a lot of thought and research went into this name, and hundreds of names were looked at before they settled on Pelicans. Given the fact that Benson already had the name locked up due to his failed foray into minor-league baseball, it was his first choice and he went with it, probably against all advice from his staff working on the re-brand ("I don't care 'bout no focus groups, I want Pelly-kins, and your job is to make it WOIK!").
  • Just for those who may not know, there was NO public involvement/participation in this, NONE. No polls, no contest, no nothing. ZIP.
  • Pretty impressed that during the presser, they noted that when Benson bought the team, it was related that he told Stern, "I know you say two years for a rebrand and all, but that's not acceptable" and got this done within one year, to be effected next year.
  • That being said, it is EXTREMELY weird to have such an announcement and unveiling prior to the all-star break. It will be weird to see the team play the rest of the season as the Hornets, wearing Hornets gear, see Hugo the mascot, etc., all as lame ducks, with a future name, logo, and colors already out there. Maybe even some fans wearing new merch in the stands. I don't think this has EVER been done to this extent.
  • Now New Orleans becomes the Pelicans, and Charlotte gets their Hornets name back. Something about that deal makes me feel like the guy who realizes he fell for the "hey, you got two tens for a five?" scam.
  • Speaking of Charlotte, does anyone realize if they keep the CURRENT Hornets color scheme (not going back to the true teal and purple), that the creole blue is THE EXACT SAME SHADE OF BLUE used by the Carolina Panthers? (Colorwerx pointed this out some time ago).
  • I do like that the Saints' gold ties in to the Pelicans' gold. Gold/yellow has always been a good "constant" color for the sports teams in the area.
  • Speaking of colors, on the website, blue is listed as primary, with Gold as secondary and red as tertiary. The background on the wallpapers illustrates this best-- mostly blue, with a gold bottom and a thin red line separating them. Also the main logo proportions use a similar balance. I expect blue away unis.
  • Love the "New Orleans" Wordmark on the primary; this will undoubtedly be the major emblem on the home AND away jersey. One indicator is that there is nothing in the logo package showing any similar treatment of the word "Pelicans".
  • The beak in the logo should be gold, not red.
  • Evil red demon eyes on the Pelican!!! Oooh, scary!!!
  • That bird-de-lis is a piece of crap. They need to ditch it. It's not like they don't have fleurs-de-lis in every other logo anyway...
  • If Admiral hated the way that folks have related/tied in the Saints return (and ascendancy beyond prior levels) to the City of New Orleans' comeback and resurgence post-Katrina, I hope he didn't hear the presser. That was referenced, and in the same vein, the powers that be are planning on tying in the NBA's rebrand to the Pelicans (and planned improvement under new ownership and long-term lease) to increasing awareness and promoting Louisiana's coastal restoration.
  • RIP, Fleur-de-Bee. One great logo bites the dust.

It is what it is.

Looks like a minor league baseball team. I think they look good, but nothing about it says NBA to me.

There's a basketball.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can get with this. I've never been a fan of logos that are just a wordmark with surrounding elements(Lakers, Clippers, Cavs, etc.)so while well done I prefer the Pelican on its own. The colors are par for the NBA but perfect for NOLA. Finally, I hated the Bird-de-lis because I thought it looked like an underdeveloped bird. Upon closer inspection it isnt mimicing a Pelican a la the Fleur-de-bee and a hornet, it is simply a fleur with the Pelican head & ball from the primary slapped on top. It fits in the center of the fleur nicely like its apart of it but not as creative as we have speculated it might be. I like it though and enjoy the package as a whole.

Archived