New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the logo is fine. most disappointing thing is they used a basketball in it, i hate that! the direction they went with brand voice (fierce illustrated animal) is to be expected. unlike the Nets, they arnt trying to do somethign really unique, they want to look like they fit in the NBA. thats what this whole thing does. its really odd, if this is the primary mark, that they focus on city name rather than the nickname. i dont think its either right or wrong, but for a primary logo for a professional team i think the name is more important. its not like in college sports where the university is whats being represented. we refer to pro teams by their nicknames and to see one unlike that is just odd. at least it is now.

the colors are good. im not a big fan of the red/blue/gold palette, but if they had to go this way, im glad they went with these. especially the vegas gold (not sure if thats exactly vegas gold) rather than yellow which would have turned out looking like a Fischer Price product.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Does anyone know what were getting today? I've heard anything from 'just the primary' to 'a whole logo set, uniform and branding unveil'...just curious if we will infact see uni's today?

Normally I would have just forgotten waiting the extra hour to see the unveil, and caught it later. I'm interested to see if the name change will become effective TODAY, or if it will be at the end of the season...

If it becomes effective immediately, hats off to Tom Benson and co. for keeping this under wraps while preparing. If you can change names today, it involves a ton of logistics, in merchandise, court design, signage, etc. Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Which also brings the question, if the name change ISN'T immediate, why do it in the middle of the season?

How can you tell if it's off-center?

The pic looks like it's tilted to the side.

Watch the Video it's a just a 3d version of logo moving around. It's not off center. Screen cap was taken when logo was moving at an angle.

http://t.co/0JvgOimy

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not sure if you can get a perfect straight-on view of the logo.

Best I could do

8412456610_03119ae2fe.jpg

s4ood2.png

Thanks for the photo. Notice how the fleur-de-lis doesn't line up with the "R" though? Little things like that stick out to me. I feel they could have done tiny tweaks with the other letters to get that to line up perfectly (such as spacing, and the size of the "W").

The biggest thing is - the single most defining feature of a pelican is its large lower beak. Not only does this logo no emphasize it, it doesn't even show it. That would be like making a Tigers logo and using a solid orange cat. The ONLY thing most people know about pelicans is that they can carry a lot of :censored: in their beaks. While I do share Admiral's dislike for "fierce face, city goes here, this goes there" logos, I wouldn't hold that against this logo if it was good. However, I don't think it is. It's no more a pelican than a whooping crane.

I just showed my buddy the logo, he's not a big uniform/logo nerd, but he was pumped for the unveiling because he thought Pelicans was an awesome name and likes em or whatever... Well anyways, yeah he agrees completely with you. First thing he said was WTF, they should have made it a profile view and emphasize the big ass beak!... So your opinion is definitely understandable. The more I look at the logo, the more I agree with you and my friend.

90758391980.gif

Does anyone know what were getting today? I've heard anything from 'just the primary' to 'a whole logo set, uniform and branding unveil'...just curious if we will infact see uni's today?

Normally I would have just forgotten waiting the extra hour to see the unveil, and caught it later. I'm interested to see if the name change will become effective TODAY, or if it will be at the end of the season...

If it becomes effective immediately, hats off to Tom Benson and co. for keeping this under wraps while preparing. If you can change names today, it involves a ton of logistics, in merchandise, court design, signage, etc. Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Which also brings the question, if the name change ISN'T immediate, why do it in the middle of the season?

Agreed, it does raise a lot of questions on the timing. I doubt the team shows up for their next game in Pelicans gear but if they do then dang, thats BA on Tom Bensons part.

the logo is fine. most disappointing thing is they used a basketball in it, i hate that! the direction they went with brand voice (fierce illustrated animal) is to be expected. unlike the Nets, they arnt trying to do somethign really unique, they want to look like they fit in the NBA. thats what this whole thing does. its really odd, if this is the primary mark, that they focus on city name rather than the nickname. i dont think its either right or wrong, but for a primary logo for a professional team i think the name is more important. its not like in college sports where the university is whats being represented. we refer to pro teams by their nicknames and to see one unlike that is just odd. at least it is now.

the colors are good. im not a big fan of the red/blue/gold palette, but if they had to go this way, im glad they went with these. especially the vegas gold (not sure if thats exactly vegas gold) rather than yellow which would have turned out looking like a Fischer Price product.

Considering that this entire rebrand was about finding something that represents New Orleans, as opposed to a general feeling that the name Hornets was in some other way inappropriate, the prominence of the city name makes sense to me.

Watch the Video it's a just a 3d version of logo moving around. It's not off center. Screen cap was taken when logo was moving at an angle.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not sure if you can get a perfect straight-on view of the logo.

Best I could do

s4ood2.png

Thanks for the photo. Notice how the fleur-de-lis doesn't line up with the "R" though? Little things like that stick out to me. I feel they could have done tiny tweaks with the other letters to get that to line up perfectly (such as spacing, and the size of the "W").

I think it does line up. It looks like it lines up with the vertical line of the inside of the R.

Agreed, it does raise a lot of questions on the timing. I doubt the team shows up for their next game in Pelicans gear but if they do then dang, thats BA on Tom Bensons part.

Creamer's blog post about it says:

"The New Orleans Hornets will be changing their name to the New Orleans Pelicans effective the beginning of the 2013-14 NBA season."

So definitely doesn't sound like it'll be a mid season change. That would be unprecedented I would think.

90758391980.gif

Best I could do

s4ood2.png

I think it does line up. It looks like it lines up with the vertical line of the inside of the R.

Yes, it does line up, but the perception that it gives while it's directly above a two-worded script still ruins that aspect for me. I think there could have been a better way they could have incorporated the fleur-de-lis rather than awkwardly placing it next to an already awkward two-worded script.

One thing they could have done was slightly increase the size of the fleur-de-lis, and line up the sides of the "R" with the sides of the fleur-de-lis if they insisted on keeping it there.

Archived