New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sportscenter has been bashing the Pelicans name all day. I don't understand. I really like the nickname.

I like the logo. Like someone said, a lot of local flavor. Can't wait to see the unis.

I like it. Sportscenter would only like it if it was a "mean" name like VooDoo, or some other aggressive singular name.

70389454.png

I will be the contrarian. The logo sucks. First off, with a name like Pelicans (which I hated at first, liked slightly more each time I heard it, and now really like), you need to go a little goofy. This is just another STERN, SERIOUS animal logo. There should be focus on the bird instead of making it look vaguely Air Force/aviation related (which has no relevance to the city). Because of the angle, it doesn't use a pelican's most defining feature - it's giant lower beak. That's inexcusable. Also, the beak going over the basketball and serving as a default center line on the ball serves no purpose. Is he biting the ball? Why? Add in an uninspired color scheme, and this gets a thumbs down.

Could this logo have been worse? Sure. But it also could have been a lot better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I will be the contrarian. The logo sucks. First off, with a name like Pelicans (which I hated at first, liked slightly more each time I heard it, and now really like), you need to go a little goofy. This is just another STERN, SERIOUS animal logo. There should be focus on the bird instead of making it look vaguely Air Force/aviation related (which has no relevance to the city). Because of the angle, it doesn't use a pelican's most defining feature - it's giant lower beak. That's inexcusable. Also, the beak going over the basketball and serving as a default center line on the ball serves no purpose. Is he biting the ball? Why? Add in an uninspired color scheme, and this gets a thumbs down.

Could this logo have been worse? Sure. But it also could have been a lot better.

THANK YOU KINDLY

This sucks. It looks like every logo looks now. And I don't like primaries that have the nickname as an afterthought (Memphis Grizzlies to a lesser extent). Lame.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So close to being perfect. The partial roundel at the bottom is unnecessary, and makes the logo busier than it needs to be in my opinion. Also, if you removed everything else but the roundel, it would appear as if the roundel was off-center. I'm just not sold on that part of the logo yet. Just make another logo with "Pelicans" instead of "New Orleans".

Is the basketball green? A few too many colors.

I could be wrong but I think its the same color as the pelicans wings. Also I'm excited to see what a 2d logo will look like.

Yeah, the basketball is definitely gold. Rendered in 3D, the basketball is in a shadow which makes it look a different hue.

gYH2mW9.png

According to Twitter, it doesn't start until 4pm Est. In an hour. The clock is tied to your machine's clock via Javascript.

What a huge f'ing fail. :lol:

Something else is up here, I'm in New Orleans and I'm not getting the clock either. It's going directly to the Hornets main page again - and the countdown is still ticking away if you go to that address.

And for a brief moment, nba.com/pelicans stopped redirecting to hornets.com - the internet chatter says the video was leaked because when you went to the Pelicans address on your mobile, the unveiling video started playing.

There's always going to be a way a logo gets leaked.

kU6ns.gif

According to Twitter, it doesn't start until 4pm Est. In an hour. The clock is tied to your machine's clock via Javascript.

What a huge f'ing fail. :lol:

I can confirm that. The countdown ended at 3pm in Germany, so six hours ago. :therock:

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived