New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

NewOrleansPelicans_zps10defbd6.png

Looks like they're focusing COMPLETELY on the city name. Weird. Decent wordmark though. I'll live with it.

I like this alot the red color they are using seems to have some purple in it which differentiates from the rest of the red teams.

Something about the top of the logo is bothering me just can't put my finger on it yet.

The off-center Fleur-de-lis? Technically it isn't off-center, it just appears to be so due to the awkward wordmark.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be the contrarian. The logo sucks. First off, with a name like Pelicans (which I hated at first, liked slightly more each time I heard it, and now really like), you need to go a little goofy. This is just another STERN, SERIOUS animal logo. There should be focus on the bird instead of making it look vaguely Air Force/aviation related (which has no relevance to the city). Because of the angle, it doesn't use a pelican's most defining feature - it's giant lower beak. That's inexcusable. Also, the beak going over the basketball and serving as a default center line on the ball serves no purpose. Is he biting the ball? Why? Add in an uninspired color scheme, and this gets a thumbs down.

Could this logo have been worse? Sure. But it also could have been a lot better.

THANK YOU KINDLY

This sucks. It looks like every logo looks now. And I don't like primaries that have the nickname as an afterthought (Memphis Grizzlies to a lesser extent). Lame.

Thank you admiral asshat for that wonderful and insightful analysis.

I'm sick of people saying a logo has to be this or has to be that, like the Astros have to look futuristic or the Pelicans have to look goofy. They don't. They can look how they want. This logo is overall well put together. Are there some "flaws"? Yeah sure. What logo doesn't have them. But too many here pigeonholed these teams idenities into what they want to see and if its not that way, then it sucks. It shows ignorance on your part in regards to logos and team identities if you think the only way to judge them is by whether its what you wanted to see or not.

I'm just so tired of this wave of sterile, textbook well-designed logos. Same lettering, same circle usage, same everything. Fundamentally, nothing is wrong with them, they're just all the same. I don't have to like that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How can you tell if it's off-center?

The pic looks like it's tilted to the side.

Watch the Video it's a just a 3d version of logo moving around. It's not off center. Screen cap was taken when logo was moving at an angle.

http://t.co/0JvgOimy

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not sure if you can get a perfect straight-on view of the logo.

NewOrleansPelicans_zps10defbd6.png

Looks like they're focusing COMPLETELY on the city name. Weird. Decent wordmark though. I'll live with it.

Damn impressive logo. Puts OKC and Brooklyn to shame.

That logo is really impressive plus it focuses more on the the Pelican than the basketball.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

How can you tell if it's off-center?

The pic looks like it's tilted to the side.

Watch the Video it's a just a 3d version of logo moving around. It's not off center. Screen cap was taken when logo was moving at an angle.

http://t.co/0JvgOimy

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not sure if you can get a perfect straight-on view of the logo.

Best I could do

8412456610_03119ae2fe.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

I will be the contrarian. The logo sucks. First off, with a name like Pelicans (which I hated at first, liked slightly more each time I heard it, and now really like), you need to go a little goofy. This is just another STERN, SERIOUS animal logo. There should be focus on the bird instead of making it look vaguely Air Force/aviation related (which has no relevance to the city). Because of the angle, it doesn't use a pelican's most defining feature - it's giant lower beak. That's inexcusable. Also, the beak going over the basketball and serving as a default center line on the ball serves no purpose. Is he biting the ball? Why? Add in an uninspired color scheme, and this gets a thumbs down.

Could this logo have been worse? Sure. But it also could have been a lot better.

THANK YOU KINDLY

This sucks. It looks like every logo looks now. And I don't like primaries that have the nickname as an afterthought (Memphis Grizzlies to a lesser extent). Lame.

Thank you admiral asshat for that wonderful and insightful analysis.

I'm sick of people saying a logo has to be this or has to be that, like the Astros have to look futuristic or the Pelicans have to look goofy. They don't. They can look how they want. This logo is overall well put together. Are there some "flaws"? Yeah sure. What logo doesn't have them. But too many here pigeonholed these teams idenities into what they want to see and if its not that way, then it sucks. It shows ignorance on your part in regards to logos and team identities if you think the only way to judge them is by whether its what you wanted to see or not.

While I think Pelicans is a name that should be represented a certain way, I wouldn't crap on any logo which was very good at representing a different view of the name. However, this logo isn't well put-together. As I said, it looks far to aviation-y. The majority of the space of the logo is generic, chevron-like wings. The only part that look likes sorta like a pelican, the head, is small and has an all-too-twenty-first-century scowl. There is a median between a cartoon pelican carrying a basketball in his beak and a fierce, coked-out pelican who was sent from hell.

The biggest thing is - the single most defining feature of a pelican is its large lower beak. Not only does this logo no emphasize it, it doesn't even show it. That would be like making a Tigers logo and using a solid orange cat. The ONLY thing most people know about pelicans is that they can carry a lot of :censored: in their beaks. While I do share Admiral's dislike for "fierce face, city goes here, this goes there" logos, I wouldn't hold that against this logo if it was good. However, I don't think it is. It's no more a pelican than a whooping crane.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm just so tired of this wave of sterile, textbook well-designed logos. Same lettering, same circle usage, same everything. Fundamentally, nothing is wrong with them, they're just all the same. I don't have to like that.

Yeah :censored: quality logos!

Way to take me out of context! :)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wow, that video was terrible.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The only bad thing about it is, it does kinda look like a minor league logo. If you compare it to the rest of the primaries in the league, it looks sort of over designed. A little too much going on.

And the swooping bird has been done already by the Hawks, but I guess there are only so many ways you can depict a bird in a logo.

90758391980.gif

Does anyone know what were getting today? I've heard anything from 'just the primary' to 'a whole logo set, uniform and branding unveil'...just curious if we will infact see uni's today?

I had heard unis and logos. But I don't know if that's official.

I like the complete logo (compared to the bird by itself). Will need to see the entire package and unis, but these colors are giving me a LeBron era Cavs' vibe, which isn't necessarily bad. I preferred the LeBron era set better than what they have currently.

Archived